Occupy Movement is back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Occupy Movement is back

Voting Tory will do nothing to further the goals of the Occupy Movement.

Comment

It would seem even more voters were not willing to take the risk.

The last time there was a conservative government in Ontario the cost of a room for evening activities like chess or other activities was prohibitive or non existent.

I figure when Hudak was confirmed as leader McGuinty likely jumped in the air and clicked his heels. In about 4 years, and I do think the minority government will go that long, the economy will have picked up and McGuinty will look like a genius. He has the government in a recovering economy.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        Voting Tory will do nothing to further the goals of the Occupy Movement.
        Hi Ken

I believe I implied their efforts would be better directed at changing Dalton's policies. Failing that, a PC government might still do a better job with the economy. A significantly improved economy would make even the current Occupy Movement's objectives (whatever they are) rather moot.

The report from Mr. Drummond (a banker :D) came out today. It had well over 300 recommendations to reduce the deficit, I've heard. Let's see how many Dalton actually implements. I understand he's already ruled out at least one, namely eliminating all-day kindergarten.
        Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
        Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          It would seem even more voters were not willing to take the risk.

The last time there was a conservative government in Ontario the cost of a room for evening activities like chess or other activities was prohibitive or non existent.

I figure when Hudak was confirmed as leader McGuinty likely jumped in the air and clicked his heels. In about 4 years, and I do think the minority government will go that long, the economy will have picked up and McGuinty will look like a genius. He has the government in a recovering economy.
          McGuinty and his government have been relatively good on chess issues. If they would abandon that idiotic Green Energy Plan (the economy will dictate that it must end) and suppressed some of their nanny state tendencies, and stopped eroding personal freedoms and stopped making secret deals with civil servants, I might even grow to like them.

Comment

Kevin, You keep forgetting the party closest to the Occupy Movement's goals.

Comment

Hard to take the occupy movement seriously when even the left wing Toronto Star prints such articles.

Click Here...
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                Hard to take the occupy movement seriously when even the left wing Toronto Star prints such articles.

Click Here...
                Love the Star Wars references. This guy has control issues obviously.

Comment

Ken, you perhaps keep forgetting what Bob Rae and the NDP's legacy were when they were in power in Ontario. The unions were not too pleased with Mr. Rae. I'll give you the provincial economy didn't tank quite as badly as under McGuinty's Liberals, but it sure did tank. Bob Rae was *legendary useless* for the province.

Comment

Bob Rae is and has always been a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      McGuinty and his government have been relatively good on chess issues. If they would abandon that idiotic Green Energy Plan (the economy will dictate that it must end) and suppressed some of their nanny state tendencies, and stopped eroding personal freedoms and stopped making secret deals with civil servants, I might even grow to like them.
                      Usually when times get bad and there is a mess the government changes and the next party has to clean up the mess. In this case McGuinty will have to clean up after the last 8 years.

So far we've seen a stop put to electric generating station in Mississauga. I know it was a campaign promise to stop it but they way it was done suggests a combination of a money problem and a lack of necessity for the electricity. It's like a third world country which runs out of money and stops building.

I think he knows he has to get costs under control. Even the Toronto Star is getting down on the spending. They have been running a series of articles on Ornge as an example. I have some shares in Torstar so read their paper. It's a good investment because so many chess players read this left wing stuff.

I don't know how much more they can screw health care. Or tighten the screws, if you like that term better. Those who use the mental health services, which doesn't include me although there are probably those who would argue it should, will likely have noticed a deterioration in the past few years.

Cancer care depends and I suppose the outcome is what's important. In my case, what I got was dictated by what the province covered. On the one hand what he later said I would get next time wasn't covered last time, it's unknown if it would have worked as well as what I got. Still, I was left to pay 26 thousand in drug bills (2 thousand every 3 weeks). A private drug plan paid part of that but not all. I don't know how much more they can cut and still have universal health care.

I remember before government health care I had private health coverage. They came with the public system and promised they would always be there for us and look after our health. The private companies closed down. Remember it was a conservative government which was in power in Ontario at the time. They banned extra billing by doctors.

Saying right wing good, left wing bad is simplistic. It depends because demands of the times and opportunism gets in the way.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A (federal) party that would've addressed an Occupy issue (globalization) was CAP (Canada Action Party), which was formed by disaffected Liberal and NDPers who were, perhaps above all, anti-globalization (I once posted their platform on chesstalk). Now it's too late to do much about globalization, at least not at a relatively inexpensive cost to the world economy.
                        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 17th February, 2012, 05:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Here's the latest incarnation of the Canada Action Party website's policy statements:

http://actionparty.ca/policies/

If I understand some of the issues (objectives?) of the Occupy Movement properly, not all of CAP's policies would suit them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                            Here's the latest incarnation of the Canada Action Party website's policy statements:

If I understand some of the issues (objectives?) of the Occupy Movement properly, not all of CAP's policies would suit them.
                            I'm not interested in the fringe partys. One thing I've noticed about demonstrations. You can tell when there's going to be violence. The signs and slogans are nailed to two by fours.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Bob Rae's plan to spread the pain was a stroke of genius - the unions were too self-interested to cooperate. He took over an Ontario in the worst recession since the Depression. And yes, he was a pragmatic NDP'er, not an ideologue. It's why he is proving an excellent interim Liberal leader. They could do worse than let him have a try at their leadership federally.

Bob A

Comment

Hi Guys:

Is this the same party founded by ex-Conservative/ex-Liberal , Paul Hellyer?

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                                X