Final Results from the World Youth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Results from the World Youth

Here are the final results. Ater the country you have their score out of 11 followed by how they finished in their section. Eric Hansen tied for 2nd place!, Kelly Wang tied for 3rd place! and Jonah Lee tied for 6th place! The final rank given below is how they finished after the tie-break.

I believe this was the Best overall performance for Canada at this event ever!

39 Graif William 0 CAN 5,5 44 Open 10
    8 Qin Joey 2137 CAN 5,0 60 Open 12
    79 Li Chang He 0 CAN 6,0 31 Open 12
    90 Sohal Tanraj 0 CAN 6,5 27 Open 12
    41 Calugar Arthur 2044 CAN 5,5 47 Open 14
    12 Hansen Eric 2362 CAN 8,0 5 Open 16
    13 FM Thavandiran Shiyam 2338 CAN 5,0 46 Open 16
    35 Mai Lloyd 2150 CAN 6,0 24 Open 16
    48 Martchenko Alexander 2039 CAN 5,5 43 Open 16
    47 Ye Ling Feng 2188 CAN 5,0 48 Open 18
    75 Xu Haizhou 0 CAN 4,5 66 Open 18
    5 Bilodeau-Savaria Cendrina 0 CAN 5,5 32 Girls 08
    30 Peng Janet 0 CAN 3,0 51 Girls 08
    51 Wang Kelly 0 CAN 8,0 4 Girls 08
    54 Peng Jackie 0 CAN 6,0 24 Girls 10
    49 Kalaydina Regina Veronicka 0 CAN 6,5 23 Girls 12
    62 Powell Ashley 0 CAN 4,0 65 Girls 12
    37 Orlova Yelizaveta 1863 CAN 7,0 14 Girls 14
    69 Powell Samantha 0 CAN 4,0 69 Girls 14
    58 Kagramanov Dalia 0 CAN 5,5 35 Girls 16
    62 Yang Marguerite 0 CAN 4,0 54 Girls 16
    43 Du Jasmine 0 CAN 5,0 34 Girls 18
    13 Bellissimo Joseph F. 0 CAN 4,5 58 Open 08
    35 Lee Jonah 0 CAN 7,5 7 Open 08

Re: Final Results from the World Youth

Great Results! Congratulations Team Canada.

Comment

Congratulations all players and their parents.

Comment

Congratulations to Eric, Kelly and Jonah for their run at the medals. Has any Canadian actually won a medal since Jeff Sarwar in the U-10 in 1988(?) ? I'm sure we've never had three players come so close in one venue. But forgive my recollection if wrong!

Congrats also to the other players, who overcame the un-Canadian weather conditions and the stupefying jet lag. It is very Canadian to do well under duress.
        Last edited by Jonathan Berry; Thursday, 30th October, 2008, 05:26 PM. Reason: Corrected a name. D'oh!

Comment

Congratulations to all of our young champions, who gave it their all in Vietnam!!

I don't remember any Canadian placing in the top three in the WYCC since Jeff Sarwer won the B10 at Puerto Rico 1986. Raja Panjwani challenged a couple of years ago in the Open-16 at Batumi, scoring an IM norm and finishing T6th or so, I believe. So this year is truly exceptional!! In the Open-16, Eric Hansen, who tied for second place with 8/11, must have scored at least an FM norm; he defeated the top-rated player in his section, a near-2500 IM, and drew the second-ranked player, another strong IM, with Black in the final round. This exceptional result certainly marks Eric as a player on the rise.

Comment

Will all of Canada's team members get a FIDE rating? I ask the question
            because quite a few of our players(those without a FIDE rating at the start of the competition) played only two or three FIDE-rated opponents during the championship.

Wilf Ferner
            Last edited by Wilf Ferner; Thursday, 30th October, 2008, 03:33 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
              In the Open-16, Eric Hansen, who tied for second place with 8/11, must have scored at least an FM norm;
              For a 2362 player - a FM norm
              another :LOL: for a FM norm. There is no such thing.

While the collected point number is impressive 8/11, the result was expected as Rp=2369 is comparable to his rating 2362. Would be more interesting to hear what caused a bad start 2.5/5 to make conclusions and prepare for a win next year (same to Shiyam ;)

Meantime you probably are welcomed to read Eric's blog http://eric-hansen.blogspot.com
              Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 30th October, 2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Congrats to all the players! Does anyone know if Jonah and/or Kelly will be in the same age group next year?
                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                  or Kelly will be in the same age group next year?
                  According to fide her birth year is 2000 (somebody posted somewhere about her age as well with the same year). Thus she will be "too old" :)

Her blog http://gmkellywang.blogspot.com
                  I like gm in the title :D
                  Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 30th October, 2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                    Congratulations to Eric, Kelly and Jonah for their run at the medals. Has any Canadian actually won a medal since Jeff Sarwar in the U-10 in 1988(?) ? I'm sure we've never had three players come so close in one venue. But forgive my recollection if wrong!

Congrats also to the other players, who overcame the un-Canadian weather conditions and the stupefying jet lag. It is very Canadian to do well under duress.
                    The team performed very well; those who didn't join the medal hunt I'm sure the usual travel/limited coaching/heat increased the challenge.

I think the reduced numbers this year created a great opportunity to place well and the Canadian team certainly took advantage. Its hard to compare years but this years team had a very similar result to the 2001 team in Spain. In that year, in round 11 :

Bluvshtien won to finish fairly high ( can't remember exact result )
                    Charbonneau got paired to the GM and lost
                    Smith got paired to the world champion and lost

The 2005 team performed well also in a very large field in France under very adverse conditions. Round 11 seems to get Canada almost every time, the early morning round seems to be a problem.

Didn't Mark win a medal in 2005 ?
                    Last edited by Duncan Smith; Thursday, 30th October, 2008, 07:50 PM.

Comment

At least this time the Europeans had to deal with ugly jet lag, too. By "ugly", I mean west-to-east, which is the more difficult version.

Here is what I wrote about 2001 in the Globe:

* Canada had two excellent results in the World Youth Championships
                      at Oropesa del Mar, Spain.

*    Mark Bluvshtein tied for 8th place (out of 106 competitors) in
                      the Boys under-14 with 7.5 points in 11 rounds. Viktor Erdos of
                      Hungary won the section with 9 points.

*    Hazel Smith tied for 9th place (out of 70) in the Girls under-10
                      with 7 points. In the final round she lost to the champion, Tan
                      Zhongyi of China, who had 10 points.

*    The only other Canadian to score better than 50% was Pascal
                      Charbonneau, with 6 points in the Boys under-18.

Comment

According to David Cohen's website, Mark Bluvshtein represented Canada at the World Boys Under-18 Championship 2005, and finished in 3rd place.

Comment

For 2005, it seems I didn't write a column about the WYCC. Maybe I was waiting for some resolution of the issues of the organizational kerfuffle, but we're all still waiting for that, eh?

Anyway, here is the note I had ready for insertion:

*    The top-scoring boys were: Mark Bluvshtein 8 (u-18); Nikita
                          Krayushkin 7.5, Nikita Gusev 7 (both u-10), Noam Davies 6.5 (u-14),
                          Lloyd Mai 6 (u-12), David Wang 6 (u-16), Thomas Kaminski 6, Aquino
                          Inigo 5.5 (both u-10), Shibo Zhang 5.5 (u-12), Viktor Kaminski 5.5
                          (u-14).

[Girls] Hazel Smith 7 (u-14), Myriam Roy 6.5, Alexandra Botez 6 (both
                          u-10), Yelizabeta Orlova, Stephanie Smith 5.5 (both u-12).

Comment

Yeah :)
                            Congratulation all.
                            Canadian team ranking #11. http://wycc2008.vietnamchess.com/index.php
                            One silver.
                            More Canadian players got top 10 in the world this year. Well done.
                            I enjoy your games at Round 11, even though it is too high level to me :) :).

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                              According to David Cohen's website, Mark Bluvshtein represented Canada at the World Boys Under-18 Championship 2005, and finished in 3rd place.
                              http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2557

gives Mark finishing 3rd-5th, but 4th on tiebreak. So if the same rules for awarding medals were applied, either Eric won a silver, Kelly a bronze, Mark a bronze--or none of them won medals.

Comment

Working...
                              X