Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Final Results from the World Youth

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
    A kid that can not (or do not want) go to the Canadian Championship can go anyway to the WYCC by his own means like any American kid.

The CFC encourages to play in CYCC and limits eligible players for WYCC. See Motion 2004-03 and 1012

1012. Participation in the WYCC
    The following players are eligible to participate in the appropriate category of the WYCC:
    (a) The winner of each category in the CYCC. If a winner is unable or unwilling to participate, the second place finisher in that category shall be invited to go in his or her place. If the second place finisher is unable to participate, the third place finisher in that category shall be invited to go in place of the winner. Players who qualify for the world event in this manner shall have their entry fee and air fare to the world event paid by the CFC.
    (b) The second and third place finishers in the Tournament.
    (c) The top rated player in each category, selected according with the rating guidelines set out in Article 1005, provided the player has played at least 20 CFC regular rated games since the previous year’s CYCC may request an exemption from the CFC Executive. [(Thorvardson/Denomee) see 04-05GL1.pdf]

[ 04-05GL2.pdf more details: Only the top-rated player in each age / gender group category may participate in the WYCC in a given year, at their own expense, after HAVING NOT taken part in the CYCC that year. (It had been the top two players allowed to go to WYCC at their own expense, after HAVING NOT taken part in the CYCC that year.) This change was made to emphasize the importance of the CYCC, and to encourage the top players to take part in it, enabling other players to be able to meet those top players in competition.]

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      The CFC encourages to play in CYCC and limits eligible players for WYCC. See Motion 2004-03 and 1012
      Harder than I thought.

Comment

I didn't realize in the States, anyone could go. I thought it was top 3 there as well. I think for a country like Canada that anyone should be able to go. It's extremely valuable international experience and extremely fun. The more players we send the better our chances. Also. being eligible for a WYCC type of tournament would get people more interested in chess as it motivates them more. It really is the most enjoyable trip ever! If someone were about to quit chess and their last tournament was a WYCC, I would be really surprised if they decided not to quit and play more hoping to go the following year.

Comment

No one takes advantage of this option mainly because FIDE overcharges the "extra" players and guests to subsidize the national champions and organizers. I suppose if a large sponsor wanted to pay everything you could in theory see maybe Yuanling Yuan, Hazel Smith, and Nikolay Noritsyn go next year and all contend. It just isn't very practical unless you have money to burn. None of them really need to prove anything at CYCC and the risk is always there you could play one bad game and lose and get no subsidies for your efforts.

The risk/reward just isn't great for past national champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
            I didn't realize in the States, anyone could go. I thought it was top 3 there as well. I think for a country like Canada that anyone should be able to go. It's extremely valuable international experience and extremely fun. The more players we send the better our chances. Also. being eligible for a WYCC type of tournament would get people more interested in chess as it motivates them more. It really is the most enjoyable trip ever! If someone were about to quit chess and their last tournament was a WYCC, I would be really surprised if they decided not to quit and play more hoping to go the following year.
            I would say it's not how many players we send it's the quality of players we send that determines Canada's chances. Certainly the swiss introduces some luck factor that numbers can help. But in the more popular years the WYCC has very deep fields and only the very best Canadians have a legitimate chance to contend for top 10 places.

In rare categories we might have two Canadians in the same group with medal chances, like your group this year. So you fight for the funding at CYCC if you like. We went through the same thing in 2003 with Alina and Hazel playing a single game for funding. Alina lost and quit the game within a year. I'm not sure if the system worked well in that situation.
            Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 10th November, 2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
              I suppose if a large sponsor wanted to pay everything you could in theory see maybe Yuanling Yuan, Hazel Smith, and Nikolay Noritsyn go next year and all contend.
              Okay, children, which of these is not like the others?
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

The facts say otherwise

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                Okay, children, which of these is not like the others?
                How can we best indicate consistant contention at WYCC in a country where no one wins medals ? I came up with a stat. Number of games on the first 5 boards of any event, discounting the first two rounds due to the swiss. Any Canadian who attends WYCC knows there is a great deal of prestige and effort to get into even one of those games.

The topic was players who could contend at WYCC next year. Anyone still of age that is top ten on that stat is on any list in that regard. Period.

The fact that you think writing off players each year is ok simply because they are not #1 at the moment does illustrate a flaw in your character. Canadian chess can only thrive when it understands this as well, just look at the Olympiad you need 5 strong players to do well not one or two. The women's team for example can't depend on one player and come even close to top twenty placement.
                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 11th November, 2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Re: The facts say otherwise

The women's team for example can't depend on one player and come even close to top twenty placement.
                  It's good they have at least one player to depend on. :D
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                    We will remember this trip and tournament forever. I have 5 kids and would like the 5 to attend such a tournament.

Comment

Re: The facts say otherwise

How can we best indicate consistant contention at WYCC in a country where no one wins medals ? I came up with a stat. Number of games on the first 5 boards of any event, discounting the first two rounds due to the swiss. Any Canadian who attends WYCC knows there is a great deal of prestige and effort to get into even one of those games.

The topic was players who could contend at WYCC next year. Anyone still of age that is top ten on that stat is on any list in that regard. Period.

The fact that you think writing off players each year is ok simply because they are not #1 at the moment does illustrate a flaw in your character. Canadian chess can only thrive when it understands this as well, just look at the Olympiad you need 5 strong players to do well not one or two. The women's team for example can't depend on one player and come even close to top twenty placement.
                      Yeah, exactly. The topic was players who COULD contend NEXT year, not DID contend several years AGO.
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Working...
                      X