Speaking of Fundraisers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Fundraisers.

Victoria held a fundraiser last September for this year's Olympic Team. One of the points of our having it so early was to remind other people that it was time to start raising money.

Apparently, that goal was a failure.

It's now what, 8 months away until this year's event in Turkey? Where's the action, the bustling activity? I don't see any other fundraisers, I don't see a thermometer on the CFC site - just info on the 2010 Olympic Team.

Isn't it time anyone who is interested in the Olympic Team started to do stuff? Money will be needed, $20,000 was what was needed last time.

Anonymous Posting...

Originally posted by Kerry Liles
    I thought anonymous posting was not permitted on this board?
    seems to continue. I asked earlier why there couldn't be better controls. I think Chris' response then had to do with the ability of some to find a way to get into the board and that they had not been approved.

I think this poster's e-mail address should be posted for all to see, i.e., if one really has to have a valid e-mail address to become a member.

I agree regarding anonymous posting... It is cowardly, BUT, I would bet this is not a member or maybe not even a Canadian chess player, just a rabble-rouser.

Comment

Re: Anonymous Posting...

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
      seems to continue. I asked earlier why there couldn't be better controls. I think Chris' response then had to do with the ability of some to find a way to get into the board and that they had not been approved.

I think this poster's e-mail address should be posted for all to see, i.e., if one really has to have a valid e-mail address to become a member.

I agree regarding anonymous posting... It is cowardly, BUT, I would bet this is not a member or maybe not even a Canadian chess player, just a rabble-rouser.
      When one sees this thread now, one would wonder what I was talking about, BUT, in appears that a couple of replies have been removed just as mine was posted!

Comment

When one sees this thread now, one would wonder what I was talking about, BUT, in appears that a couple of replies have been removed just as mine was posted!
        Hi Ken,

I just logged on and I got rid of the mess....still don't know how to block people from registering on this board...but I now know how to stop them from posting any further once I spot them...

Larry

Comment

Anonymous Posting...

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Hi Ken,

I just logged on and I got rid of the mess....still don't know how to block people from registering on this board...but I now know how to stop them from posting any further once I spot them...

Larry
          Being curious...

How does anyone register without your or Chris' approval? Do you have an e-mail check-back they have to click on to complete their registration? I thought each registration had to be looked at by someone?

Thanks for cleaning up the mess.

Comment

Donations to 2012 Olympic Team

You can make a direct donation to the 2012 Canadian Olympic team, in an amount of your choice by linking to the following.

http://chess.ca/node/921

The campaign is starting NOW !!

Comment

Re: Speaking of Fundraisers.

Lost my potential donation when they prevented a player who wished to attend the WYCC from going.

Comment

Re: Donations to 2012 Olympic Team

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                You can make a direct donation to the 2012 Canadian Olympic team, in an amount of your choice by linking to the following.
                Who's playing on our teams?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Donations to 2012 Olympic Team

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  Who's playing on our teams?
                  It is not finalized yet.

Comment

Maybe if we knew our team .we'd get better support?

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                      Makes perfect sense to me :)

Comment

Being curious...

How does anyone register without your or Chris' approval? Do you have an e-mail check-back they have to click on to complete their registration? I thought each registration had to be looked at by someone?

Thanks for cleaning up the mess.
                        Hi Ken,

I have never figured out how that works...although Chris has said that I have full access...but I have a very poor computer rating :)

Gonna spend an hour tonight ...maybe I will get to a 1200 rating :)

Larry

Comment

May be the case. The way the Olympic Regulations are, there are some time frames that have to be met, but there is also time for people who are selected to decide whether they will participate or not (and then more time to designate a replacement and so on...)

The process is necessarily drawn out somewhat (especially when you include the inevitable haggling over the coach etc), so by the time the team members are cast in stone it will likely be time to get in the boarding line up...

There are posts on both ChessTalk and the CFC Forum about the possible players for each team... several potential players do not have the requisite number of qualifying games. At this point it seems hard to guess who may be playing (some players are clearly NOT going to play in any case).

Drumming up financial support will be the usual challenge - perhaps bigger than usual.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

John: If everything goes well, we should know the team composition by the end of March (as per the regulations).

I'm hoping there will be donations coming forward before then, though.

Comment

Thanks for your post and your efforts Roger! Our Selection Rating lists are finalized on March 1, and this coincides with our plans to promote the Olympic Drive on our website and CCN. And yes, sooner would have been better.

We are very fortunate to have both our Men's and Women's champions on our teams. Bator is looking forward to finally playing for Canada, and Natalia's strength and experience will be a great asset.

Comment

Working...
                              X