Shirov sets the boards on fire in Ottawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirov sets the boards on fire in Ottawa

Super GM Alexei Shirov came and conquered at Ottawa's RA Chess Club last night. Mr Shirov took on 20 of the capital's best in a simultaneous exhibition. He won 19 games and surrendered just one draw to the indefatigable Saied Sadeghi---who has also drawn him on both of Mr Shirov's two previous visits to Ottawa. (A truly remarkable record, Saied.:D)
    Tonight, Mr Shirov holds a simultaneous exhibition across the river in Gatineau, including some of the vanquished from last night who will be seeking revenge. Then, on Saturday afternoon back at the RA Centre, Mr Shirov will review the games from the simuls.
    On Monday, Mr Shirov heads to the Toronto for another simul organized by Ted Winick of the Annex Chess Club.

Re: Shirov sets the boards on fire in Ottawa

Wow. That's an impressive result for Shirov despite a few of the cities best players not participating. But that result from Saeid is amazing! I wonder what colors he had for his games?

I wish I hadn't been so busy lately because I would love a rematch against Shirov after taking a draw in a superior position the last time. Thanks for all your work in getting Shirov here again. I think we should start a tradition of buying Gord a bottle of wine as a thank-you every time Shirov comes to town. This should barely begin to replace his wine cellar after having the grandmaster in his home for a week lol.
    Last edited by Daryl Bertrand; Friday, 24th February, 2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

GM Shirov followed his Ottawa and Gatineau simuls with a lecture on Saturday in which he reviewed 12 of the games ffrom the simul. It proved a very successful and informative session. A full report will be posted by John Upper on OttawaRAChess.com. In several games, notably against Marinkovic and Doubleday, Shirov entered the ending in a losing position only to pull it out and win. In a number of games, the evaluation by the computer engines (Houdini, Deep Rybka) were proved wrong. In my game, for example, through 40 moves it found that White (I) was equal or better when in fact the very best I could hope for with best play was a draw as all the initiative (poorly judged by the engines) lay with Shirov as Black. Needless to say, I did not play "best moves" and was crushed.:D
      A highly successful visit.

Comment

In his lecture, GM Shirov reviewed a number of the games from the simuls he presented this week. For those who attended his lecture, he has prepared, with the assistance of Mr John Upper, a database of his analysis of those games. The following attended the lecture:
        Halldor Palsson
        Gordon Ritchie
        Stijn De Kerpel
        Bill Doubleday
        Keven Eyre
        Amos Kuttner
        Simon Kuttner
        Francesco Dunne
        Anthony Ivanenko
        Marcel D'Aoust
        Ryan Yang
        Raymond Cova
        John Upper
        Mate Marinkovic
        If any of those participants wish a copy of the database, please drop me an email at gordonritchie@rogers.com and I will reply with the database attached in .cbv format.

Comment

So that's it? No one feels the need to post the results of the Gatineau simul?? Wow, I guess I thought Shirov coming to town was a bigger deal. I guess it's become passe judging by the complete lack of interest. What a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Bertrand View Post
            So that's it? No one feels the need to post the results of the Gatineau simul?? Wow, I guess I thought Shirov coming to town was a bigger deal. I guess it's become passe judging by the complete lack of interest. What a shame.
            I heard that the crowd was enthusiastic and very appreciative...Brad Thomson of CMA was there representing us...and he enjoyed himself...but I agree with you...posting results here would be a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
              A full report will be posted by John Upper on OttawaRAChess.com
              From that websiste:

The next night he traveled across the Ottawa River to Gatineau where he scored 18 wins and one loss, for a combined score of +37 =1 -1.

A full report on the simul, with games and photos will appear later this week.

Comment

I'm glad the throbbing crowd of 20 people had fun. Thanks Zeromskis for your slightly rude post. I'm quite impressed with Shirov's results this time around. I would also like to know the strengths of the players he faced. For the record some of us have jobs and fit bodies and don't spend our entire day in front of a computer screen scouring chess websites, snacking and making slightly rude posts. I was making what I thought was a valid observation comparing Shirov's trip to Ottawa this time compared to other times. Like I mentioned before ( and Zeromskis and Larry didn't ) I appreciate the work of Gord and for that matter John Upper and others who helped with organizing these events. I feel that this is an appropriate bulletin board for posting and accessing Canadian chess content and events. If that's not the case why do people go on chesstalk again?? Oh yeah, to make slightly rude comments from the safety of their computers.

Comment

Thanks Zeromskis for your slightly rude post.
                  You are welcome. Though you would have been more welcomed if you checked the website first and then wrote a long post #5 :p

Comment

I'm glad the throbbing crowd of 20 people had fun. Thanks Zeromskis for your slightly rude post. I'm quite impressed with Shirov's results this time around. I would also like to know the strengths of the players he faced. For the record some of us have jobs and fit bodies and don't spend our entire day in front of a computer screen scouring chess websites, snacking and making slightly rude posts. I was making what I thought was a valid observation comparing Shirov's trip to Ottawa this time compared to other times. Like I mentioned before ( and Zeromskis and Larry didn't ) I appreciate the work of Gord and for that matter John Upper and others who helped with organizing these events. I feel that this is an appropriate bulletin board for posting and accessing Canadian chess content and events. If that's not the case why do people go on chesstalk again?? Oh yeah, to make slightly rude comments from the safety of their computers.
                    Although Egidijus can likely fend for himself, for what little it is worth, my first reaction to your post was that it was quite provocative and bordering on rude as well. Sometimes that is on the computer monitor of the reader (and may be influenced by many things).

People put rather considerable effort into arranging and organizing very interesting events (usually for no compensation other than the satisfaction of doing so) and then other people criticize the lack of instantaneous feedback.
                    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I get "Site not found" for both http://www.ottawarachess.com and http://ottawarachess.com.

Typo somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        I get "Site not found" for both http://www.ottawarachess.com and http://ottawarachess.com.

Typo somewhere?
                        sorry, bad post.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Typo somewhere?
                          When things do not work, gO-Ogle fixes :)
                          http://ottawarachessclub.pbworks.com

Comment

If that's not the case why do people go on chesstalk again?? Oh yeah, to make slightly rude comments from the safety of their computers.
                            Are you implying that if he had made that comment to your face you would do something other than use your words...?

Comment

LOL! That one is kinda funny. I love chesstalk, what a great place to perfect my trolling skills. Kerry, laziness is not a quality a volunteer should have, neither should they complain about how they aren't getting paid. That's why you don't hear any complaints from the volunteers themselves, just retired old men with too much time on their hands! See you in another 5 years PC thugs of chesstalk!

Comment

Working...
                              X