FIDE Congress - Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada's Single Zone Status? - Worth It.

Hi Hal:

Great clarification - thx for all the factual background.

For what it's worth, I think it is worth it to keep our single zone status. It is good for our elite players, and I think we have to keep a balance between servicing them, and our ordinary membership/public.

Bob A

Comment

Re: FIDE Congress - Turkey

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      Jonathan is right - the FIDE REP's have always paid their own way. Other than Prentice, each has bemoaned this fact of life.

For my part, I have now attended the 4 Congresses from 2008 - 2011. The CFC paid nothing for the first 3. In 2011 the CFC contributed $1000 toward the trip.

In 2009 our Zonal status was in trouble, mainly due to India's Zonal ambitions and our perceived inactivity. Nigel Freeman came to Ottawa and told us it was practically a done deal. The general plan was to dump us somewhere in the Caribbean. My predecessors were all consulted and the message I received was that we should fight this proposal tooth and nail. I was able to mobilize support from FIDE America and anyone else who would listen. When push came to shove the motion was not presented to the General Assembly.

Being a FIDE Zone is admittedly double edged. Cost is one challenge. As a Zonal President I attend Congresses every year instead of just Olympic years. Our Zonal Championships cost $750 each and in 2014 we will start paying $400 per year in Zonal fees. On the plus side, IM and FM titles are earnable at our Zonal Championships, our champions are seeded directly into the World Cup (where every participant takes home a minimum of $3-4K after hotel expenses), and our Seniors Champion receives full room and board at the World Seniors Championship.

Then there is some degree of intangible prestige/cred. We share this single country zone status with USA, Russia, Ukraine and China. Is it all worth it? Sometimes I do wonder.
      Hal: From what I've seen the free room and board at the Seniors event has now largely been limited to continental champions.

Comment

Our Seniors Champs for the past two years were given free room and board, as zonal representatives.

Comment

In 2009 our Zonal status was in trouble, mainly due to India's Zonal ambitions and our perceived inactivity. Nigel Freeman came to Ottawa and told us it was practically a done deal. The general plan was to dump us somewhere in the Caribbean. My predecessors were all consulted and the message I received was that we should fight this proposal tooth and nail. I was able to mobilize support from FIDE America and anyone else who would listen. When push came to shove the motion was not presented to the General Assembly.
          So, Canada, Bermuda, Bahamas, Jamaica, T&T, Haiti, Dominica, Martinique, Turks and Caicos I hope ... all the English- and French- speaking islands but not the Spanish- speaking ones? Dutch in, or Dutch out? Perhaps. The grouping doesn't make a lot of sense. There is no zone like it. The gaps and disparities of size are staggering. Maybe, as you suggest, the idea died because of skilled diplomacy. Or maybe the idea died under its own weight. That's what I think: losing the zonal status is the Homeland Security of CFC.

I'll repeat what has been said and written before. On the basis of chess, Canada in 2012 has no business being a Zone. We are not even G20, chess-wise. It is only on the basis of geography that we will continue to be a Zone. There is no country or countries that will want to share a Zone with us.

If I'm wrong, I don't see the downside of a bit of tropical cross-pollination. Our chessy cherry to their chessy cherimoya.

India could become a Zone without reorganizing the Americas. It's not like they're running out of Zones. Zones are not like Supreme Beings. There can be only zero or one Supreme Being. Woe betide he who posits a new Supreme Being. The number of Zones is whatever is convenient.

Comment

Mostly agreed Jonathan. I refer to us as the orphan zone in FIDE. For some reason FIDE is a bit prescious about their zonal allocations - particularly to single countries. The relevance of zones is also in flux. Europe mostly ignores them in favour of a Continental focus.

It is also far from clear what a Canada - Caribbean meld would look like.

Comment

I refer to us as the orphan zone in FIDE. For some reason FIDE is a bit prescious about their zonal allocations - particularly to single countries.
              If the CFC feels lonely in his heavy responsiblities as a single country zone, this can easily be fixed. And without having to mix with some caribbean island... ;)

Comment

Pretty vague Jean - what do you suggest?

Comment

what do you suggest?
                  Why does anybody think that Canada is a small or a bad zone and it should be moved somewhere? Count all provinces+territories and you'll get a big zone.

All zones and their members: http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...7&view=article

Comment

In Correspondence Chess we are in Zone 3, North America, Pacific. Canada, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Japan, Hong Kong and Mexico. Can't recall if there's anyone else as ICCF doesn't have as many member nations as FIDE.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Why does anybody think that Canada is a small or a bad zone and it should be moved somewhere? Count all provinces+territories and you'll get a big zone.

All zones and their members: http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...7&view=article
                      Thanks Egis for this link.
                      I see both Canada and US are single country zones, along with a few others. Can you tell me what the notation under the country name means? I could guess, but would rather not.

Zone 2.1 (1)
                      USA
                      5M 3W

Zone 2.2 (1)
                      Canada
                      1M 1W

What does the (1) mean?
                      What does the 5M 3W and 1M 1W mean?

Anyone?

Comment

Pretty vague Jean - what do you suggest?
                        Since that I do not represent any federation, I can only deal in diplomacy which implies a fair amount of vagueness :). Surely you can read between lines ? ;)

Comment

Re : Re: FIDE Congress - Turkey

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          Thanks Egis for this link.
                          I see both Canada and US are single country zones, along with a few others. Can you tell me what the notation under the country name means? I could guess, but would rather not.

Zone 2.1 (1)
                          USA
                          5M 3W

Zone 2.2 (1)
                          Canada
                          1M 1W

What does the (1) mean?
                          What does the 5M 3W and 1M 1W mean?

Anyone?
                          It's the number of Men (M) and Women (W) sent to the World Championship. The number (1) is the number of countries in the zone.

Comment

Working...
                          X