Does anyone care about active ratings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone care about active ratings?

Tournament players care about their regular ratings, fair enough, but does anyone care about active ratings?

Re: Does anyone care about active ratings?

Nope, they`re meaningless
    Shameless self-promotion on display here
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Active ratings own and there should be more and regular active tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Abrahams View Post
        Active ratings own and there should be more and regular active tournaments.
        I tried translating this to French and then back to English and got this>>>>

Speed up ratings own and there should be more and regular hurry up tournaments.

Nope! Still makes no sense:(

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          I tried translating this to French and then back to English and got this>>>>
          Only French to English? :(

Nope! Still makes no sense
          I think it is time to go back to basics and take some English classes again. That might help! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
            Nope, they`re meaningless
            Interestingly, a number of the top players I have talked with (>2600) are very much in favour of the introduction of active ratings by FIDE. They believe that while classic time controls must always have pride of place, the active format is much more conducive to the promotion of chess to a wider public.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
              Only French to English? :(

I think it is time to go back to basics and take some English classes again. That might help! ;)
              Your ignorant comments, as usual, are beyond comprehension!

Comment

Fwiw, two polls I did on chesstalk, several years apart, revealed each time that about 25% of respondents cared about their Active ratings.
                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Your ignorant comments, as usual, are beyond comprehension!
                  Are you going to send someone to attack me with arrogant and ignorant posts, or do it yourself as usual?

Comming from someone who is a real master at posting arrogant and ignorant comments himself! If only that energy was used on useful thing, instead on on this.
                  Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Friday, 2nd March, 2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Post removed.
                    Last edited by Normand Arsenault; Friday, 2nd March, 2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

New Canadian " Quick Chess Rating System "

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
                      Interestingly, a number of the top players I have talked with (>2600) are very much in favour of the introduction of active ratings by FIDE. They believe that while classic time controls must always have pride of place, the active format is much more conducive to the promotion of chess to a wider public.
                      This is the exact reason the CFC Governors in their 2012 Winter On-line Meeting ( Jan. 1 ) passed a motion converting the blitz/active rating system into the new " Quick Chess Rating System ". The first " Quick Chess " one-day tournament is coming up on PEI on Saturday March 10 ( first in Canada; first in the World? ).

It is going to open new avenues of chess promotion to the general public. I predict that " Quick Chess " Canadian ratings will become valued in future, right behind regular ratings.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                        does anyone care about active ratings?
                        Both.

I care because...
                        my active rating is about 400 points lower than my regular rating, and that's fair: I suck at active TCs and I'm glad my active rating reminds me of this.

I don't care...
                        because when people ask I say "I'm a Master", not "I'm almost 1800".

BTW to finish that last line I looked up my CFC active rating and it currently lists it as over 2200, which is obviously another Db error from the CFC because my latest active tournament result has me at 1800 even... assuming they got that right ;)

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                          Both.

I care because...
                          my active rating is about 400 points lower than my regular rating, and that's fair: I suck at active TCs and I'm glad my active rating reminds me of this.

I don't care...
                          because when people ask I say "I'm a Master", not "I'm almost 1800".

BTW to finish that last line I looked up my CFC active rating and it currently lists it as over 2200, which is obviously another Db error from the CFC because my latest active tournament result has me at 1800 even... assuming they got that right ;)
                          John: a few people are going to be disappointed because their new Quick Chess Rating is so high. The conversion has been done. There are no more active ratings.

Comment

Quick Chess Rating Conversions - In Progress

Hi John:

You'll have to check with Fred McKim on your now " Quick Chess Rating ".

The motion passed by the governors sought to update many stale " active ratings " , and so there is a conversion formula now at work, changing over all " active " ratings to " quick chess " ratings, and it is related to regular ratings.

So you may be one of the people who's " Quick Chess " ratings will rise, over your old " active " rating ( and maybe undeservedly so because, as you say, " you suck " at this time control ). But the overall change-over will be accurate, and those with inflated quick chess ratings will soon lose their points and float back down to their own level of incompetence at " quick chess "!

Bob A

Comment

Maybe a better way of finding out would be, rather than inquiring on chesstalk, trolled by several people who hardly play over-the-board anywhere, would be to check out clubs and tournaments. How many people play active time controls, be it in rated events, be it at their local club, casually with friends. It may also be important to make a note of how many people prefer rapid / active over blitz / long chess. One would wonder... if someone plays mostly active time controls by choice (clubs, friends, Internet), maybe they're more likely to play in an organized rated rapid / active tournament? People who play both blitz and standard time controls would probably play in anything :p

Vlad Dobrich organizes rapid tournaments every week, but do the players (the players who actually matter since they are the ones who show up and play) actually care if the games get rated? Does it matter if it's recognized by CFC? As I understand it, Vlad has his own well developed rating system and people are content or at worst indifferent towards it.
                              It'd be interesting getting feedback from club managers out there, hear what's being played by choice.

Personally I remember doing 'okay' in rapid tournaments or simply games, but they are not my preference and yes I've tried them. They're not over fast enough and dismissible as a fun blitz game, yet they're not long enough to take too seriously and worse, to walk around and look at other games and socialize.
                              However I've heard from a couple of friends who think the exact opposite. For them rapid provides the perfect blend of actually being able to play a good game without having to grow old over it.

Alex F.

Comment

Working...
                              X