Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Era of Canadian " Quick Chess "

Hi Alex:

Canada is now in a NEW DAY - there is no longer " active " nor " rapid " nor " blitz " ( gone the way of the dinosaurs! ).

All is now " Quick Chess " since the CFC governors in their wisdom ushered in the new era of " Quick Chess "!!

And I agree - for many with time constraints these days, a quick chess time control of between Game/15 and Game/30 provides serious chess, with modest investment. I think the popularity of these time controls will now grow in Canada, and it will help promote chess to the non-CFC playing public.

We'll see - that's the theory of it anyway!

Bob A

Comment

Re: Does anyone care about active ratings?

Vlad Dobrich organizes rapid tournaments every week, but do the players (the players who actually matter since they are the ones who show up and play) actually care if the games get rated? Does it matter if it's recognized by CFC? As I understand it, Vlad has his own well developed rating system and people are content or at worst indifferent towards it.
      Did you mean the players at Vlad's tournament are content with HIS rating system and indifferent towards the CFC rating of the tournaments (if they are rated by the CFC?) or are they indifferent to rating their event... (in other words what does "it" refer to?
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Did you mean the players at Vlad's tournament are content with HIS rating system and indifferent towards the CFC rating of the tournaments (if they are rated by the CFC?) or are they indifferent to rating their event... (in other words what does "it" refer to?
        I meant "it" as Vlad's own rating system. From being at Vlad's in past for blitz, which also had its own rating system developed by Vlad, I remember players being satisfied with it, or not caring to challenge it / compare it to other existing rating systems.
        However, to clarify, I also get the impression that the players are indifferent that it's not rated with CFC, since they keep coming back.

Comment

Quick Chess Rating Fee - Cheap!

Hi Alex:

The new " Quick Chess " Rating fee is only $ 1.50 per player ( hope I'm right on this - Fred help me out of trouble here if I'm screwing up )! The governors made it 50% of the regular rating fee, in order to help market the new system. CFC would like to see people get enamoured of their new " Quick Chess " ratings, almost the way they love their " regular " ratings.

Do you think Vlad's players would like to get their weekly tournaments " quick chess " rated if they knew how cheap it was? Would they give Vlad an extra $ 1.50 ( cost of a coffee foregone ) in order for him to get them rated, at no cost to Vlad??

Bob

Comment

Re: The New Era of Canadian " Quick Chess "

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Canada is now in a NEW DAY - there is no longer " active " nor " rapid " nor " blitz " ( gone the way of the dinosaurs! ).

All is now " Quick Chess " since the CFC governors in their wisdom ushered in the new era of " Quick Chess "!!
            Bob, can you point me in the direction of the motion. There is nothing in the Governors' letters (I checked as far back as summer 2010). Also, I notice that the ratings regulations (on the CFC website) do not mention "quick chess", and the rating fees on the CFC website are also silent on the subject.
            Last edited by John Coleman; Friday, 2nd March, 2012, 11:52 PM. Reason: Total absence of info; I know nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              Bob, can you point me in the direction of the motion. There is nothing in the Governors' letters (I checked as far back as last spring).
              It was in the last on-line meeting.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The re-setting of Active (eventually will be called Quick) ratings was very important to junior events. All-junior events comprise a very significant fraction of rated CFC events and through no one's fault, 30 minute junior events have for years been erroneously rated as Regular events. I am convinced that this has contributed to the problem of under-rated juniors. It was important to duplicate the Regular ratings of hundreds of juniors under the Active rating system so that they won't be "starting over" when future 30 minute junior events are rated properly as Active events. From that perspective, I care very much.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Canadian " Quick Chess " - Conversion to New System

The CFC Handbook called for the " Minutes " of the 2012 Winter On-line Governors' Meeting to be posted on the CFC Website by Jan. 25, according to my calculations ( the meeting was extended due to the health of the President at the time, and ended about Jan. 15, I think ):

Section 2 - Regulations - Para 22A - PROCEDURES FOR GOVERNORS' ONLINE MEETINGS

(6) Meeting Minutes: Within 7 days of the close of the meeting, the Secretary shall prepare the Minutes of the Governors’ meeting, and they shall be posted on the Governors’ Discussion Board, to allow for any corrections to be raised. Notice by e-mail shall be sent to all governors once the Minutes are Posted. Governors shall have 3 days to post corrections or e-mail them to the Posting Secretary.

(7) Governors' Letters: After 3 days, the Minutes, as corrected if necessary, shall be immediately published in a Governors’ Letter, to be posted immediately on the CFC Website.

These Minutes were expected to be posted in 2011/12 GL#3. This has not happened, and at this point no Minutes have been posted on the Governors' Discussion Board for comment, and no governors' letter # 3 has been circulated to the governors yet. The deadline for submissions to GL # 3 was January 31. There has been no posting on the CFC Website of any Minutes/Governors' Letter # 3.

There has been no explanation of the delay of the Winter Meeting Minutes nor the GL # 3.

If GL # 3 is inexplicably delayed, there is precedent for the Minutes of On-line Meetings to be posted separately in the list of Governors' Letters, on their own.

It is hard to criticize lack of interest by membership in the affairs of the CFC , when the CFC does not disclose what decisions have been made, and how, in a timely manner.

However, if I remember correctly ( can someone verify this? ), the motions/results from the Winter Meeting were posted as required, immediately after the meeting, and they contained the Motion on the new " Quick Chess Rating System ".

I don't know if our CFC Handbook Updater, Kerry Liles, has been provided with the Winter Meeting motions for him to do the Handbook updating, but from what is posted here, it appears maybe not. There may also be a Handbook updating problem because the motion on " Quick Chess ", was general in nature, and did not specify particular sections being amended, and the wording recommended. This was intended to be left at the discretion of Kerry, overseen by the executive, and the mover ( me ) and seconder ( PEI CFC Governor, Fred McKim ) of the motion.

This may clarify what has not happened that should have by now.

However, the whole Quick Chess conversion has been very detailed and time consuming, and is now almost completed and on stream ( though the details are lagging behind ). It may be in order, despite the delay, to cut our volunteers involved in all the aspects of this decision, some slack on this one.

This being said, I think the wheels of process should start clicking over on this one now that it has come to light.

Bob A

Comment

What I've never understood is why people who don't care about active ratings can't be respectful of the fact that some people do like and care about them.
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                      John: a few people are going to be disappointed because their new Quick Chess Rating is so high. The conversion has been done. There are no more active ratings.
                      Hi Fred

The 'Quick' ratings are still described as 'Active' ratings on the CFC website under 'Ratings', or at least my (Active/Quick) rating was when I looked up my various ratings.

Until it's described as 'Quick', it might be a good idea for someone to post something on the CFC website, say in the news section of the CFC discussion board (with a sticky).
                      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

" Quick Chess Rating System " - Going Public!

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                        Hi Fred

The 'Quick' ratings are still described as 'Active' ratings on the CFC website under 'Ratings', or at least my (Active/Quick) rating was when I looked up my various ratings.

Until it's described as 'Quick', it might be a good idea for someone to post something on the CFC website, say in the news section of the CFC discussion board (with a sticky).
                        Hi Kevin:

You are right on. Fred and I a number of days ago decided upon exactly that - a " news " item.

But I was waiting 'til the system was fully " live " and ready to accept " Quick Chess " tournaments for rating, before actually bringing it fully public. I think that is just a day or so away - so a " news " post is coming.

The CFC Website references will also be changed then, or so soon thereafter as Fred can get to it ( he tends to be a bit overextended in my observation! LOL - what a " volunteer " ! ).

Bob A

Comment

Re: Quick Chess Rating Conversions - In Progress

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi John:
                          ....update many stale " active ratings "....

mine wasn't stale at all. I've even played a couple of active events at the RA CC this year. I always do badly in them.

Whatever formula was used to convert an 1800 Active to a 2212 "Quick" rating is laughably geneous... to my future opponents, who will get a 16 point bonus for beating an 1800 rapid/active player.

The RACC has an active tourny this week (March 8 & 15) so come and git "my" points while the gettin's good. :)

Comment

Re: Quick Chess Rating Conversions - Generally Appropriate

Hi John:

You are one of a very few " active " active tournament players in Canada.

The active list was repleat with players who's ratings were stale ( including me ) - had not played for years. And some had improved, and their active ratings were " low ", due to lack of active play in active tournaments.

The new system of " quick chess " will be appropriate for many players on the new " Quick Chess Rating List " ( though perhaps it is true, not for you in particular ).

Bob A.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                              Hi Fred

I have no exact time frame on when the word Active will change to Quick. It's in the "guts" of the web site, so to speak.

I'm sure we'll have regular postings, informing players of this, once some tournaments start happening.

Comment

Originally posted by arigatou
                                Being added from the people is an arrogant and ignorant opinions to publish their own real masters! If the only energy use something useful, rather than this.
                                Please translate to English

Comment

Working...
                                X