Why NOT CMA for adult tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why NOT CMA for adult tournaments?

Pre-apologies to Larry Bevand for stirring up this, and I know this is a 3rd rail type of argument, but here goes...

Why not switch most adult tournaments to the CMA?

It's cheaper to rate, rating updates happen immediately, and there is no membership fee.

The only advantage the CFC has here is its affiliation with FIDE, which is for the most part meaningless for U1800 players. I'm not talking about kids tournaments here, where the CFC does have some advantages (but is rarely in real competition to the CMA there).

So just a sounding board, what do guys think? What are good reasons not to use the CMA system for rating adult tournaments?

Re: Why NOT CMA for adult tournaments?

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
    Pre-apologies to Larry Bevand for stirring up this, and I know this is a 3rd rail type of argument, but here goes...

Why not switch most adult tournaments to the CMA?

It's cheaper to rate, rating updates happen immediately, and there is no membership fee.

The only advantage the CFC has here is its affiliation with FIDE, which is for the most part meaningless for U1800 players. I'm not talking about kids tournaments here, where the CFC does have some advantages (but is rarely in real competition to the CMA there).

So just a sounding board, what do guys think? What are good reasons not to use the CMA system for rating adult tournaments?
    well, for that matter, there are many other similar possibilities. Others have posted links to commercial operations that rate cheaply and various clubs etc. have their own rating system (e.g. the Victoria Chess Club).

It's not hard, certainly cheaper but the CFC (and FIDE) do have a certain brand power. You can probably answer the question yourself as you started this all of by your desire for FIDE rated tournaments. So why exactly do you think FIDE rating is important?

Comment

Ask not what the CFC can do for you. Ask what you can do for the CFC
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        My chess donation this year will be going to the CCCA.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
          We all know what happened at 2011 CYCC, when someone trying to ask same question and helping CFC in a big way. I do not see why someone want to do it again this year from last year expereince. Why would anyone want to get used and get thrown out like an old garbage bag. I guess you now looking for another victim for 2012!

Its funny, that you, Mr. Gillanders and Mr. Armstrong think in the same direction. ;)

Same minds think alike, unfortunately not in the right direction. :D
          Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; Monday, 5th March, 2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            well, for that matter, there are many other similar possibilities. Others have posted links to commercial operations that rate cheaply and various clubs etc. have their own rating system (e.g. the Victoria Chess Club).

It's not hard, certainly cheaper but the CFC (and FIDE) do have a certain brand power. You can probably answer the question yourself as you started this all of by your desire for FIDE rated tournaments. So why exactly do you think FIDE rating is important?
            Because they are the only ones with the recognized International titles I seek.

I've already gotten as far as I can under the CFC rating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Denton Cockburn View Post
              Because they are the only ones with the recognized International titles I seek.

I've already gotten as far as I can under the CFC rating system.
              The reality is FIDE programs are at an all time low interest level in Canada.
              There just isn't the player base out there to make things work well. The youth programs were botched up pretty badly last decade, and that's a significant factor in how this situation occurred.

Comment

Working...
              X