Before I finalize things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I finalize things...

I know how Chesstalkers are great at finding things that could be done better soooo...before making this official...I would like you to take a look and tell me what has to be changed. I rarely organize open tournaments anymore so I will gladly accept all constructive comments on how to make this better...what I am putting forward tonight is the tournament part of our event...of course we have much more to offer :).

If someone can help with formatting...that would be great !

CMA SUPERFEST CHESS EVENT 2012

Organized and sponsored by the Chess'n Math Association
    CELEBRATING OUR 27TH YEAR OF SERVICE TO THE CHESS COMMUNITY

Aug 15 - 19 2012

"Hotel Le Chantecler" www.lechantecler.com

This incredible resort hotel is located 45 minutes north of Montreal in the Laurentians.

$6,500 in Guaranteed Prizes

Place Open Under 2000 Under 1700 Under 1400
    1st $1,250 $700 $500 $250
    2nd $750 $375 $250 $150
    3rd $500 $200 $125 $60
    4th $300 $100 $90 $40
    5th $160 $75 $60 $40
    U2100 $250
    U1800 $175
    U1500 $100

REGISTRATION Before May 1 Before June 1 Before Aug 1 Before Aug 14 On-Site
    OPEN $60 $65 $70 $75 $85
    U2000 $55 $60 $65 $70 $80
    U1700 $50 $55 $60 $65 $75
    U1400 $45 $50 $55 $60 $70

*All entry fees include GST of 5% and QST of 9.5%
    ** Players who withdraw before the start of the event will be charged a $25 administration fee. No refunds after 4 pm on August 15.
    *** Free entry for IM's and GM's
    ****Players rated under 2000 who want to play in the Open section must pay $20 more.
    *****We take your highest published rating (FIDE, CFC, FQE, USCF etc) on August 1 2012.

Chess sets are provided. Please bring your own chess clock.

Schedule
    Aug 15 2012 On-Site Registration 3:00 - 4:00 PM
    Round 1 6:30 PM
    Aug 16 2012 Round 2 6:30 PM
    Aug 17 2012 Round 3 6:30 PM
    Aug 18 2012 Round 4 11:00 AM
    Aug 19 2012 Round 5 11:00 AM

RATINGS:
    The Open section is rated by FIDE, the CFC and the FQE
    All other sections are FQE rated only.

TIME CONTROL
    40 MOVES IN 90 MINUTES FOLLOWED BY 30 MINUTES TO MATE INCREMENTATION OF 30 SECONDS FROM MOVE 1

Shorter Version (Not available for the Open section):
    Aug 17 -19
    3 games on Friday Aug 17: "RD 1 AT 9:30 A.M., RD 2 AT 1:30 P.M….AND THEN YOU JOIN THE REGULAR TOURNAMENT FOR ROUND 3 AT 6:30 PM followed by Round 4 on Aug 18 at 11 AM and Round 5 on Aug 19 at 11 am

FOR ROUNDS 1 AND 2: GAME IN 90 MINUTES. INCREMENTATION OF 30 SECONDS FROM MOVE 1

ACCOMODATION: $89.95 plus taxes per night (two double beds: 1 - 4 people). $25 more for a suite (limited number of suites available...reserve NOW). Quote "CHESS" for these great rates. Call toll-free 1-888-916-1616. www.lechantecler.com Our block of rooms will be released on July 16...so reserve early!

This is the first tournament on the "2012-2013 Quebec Chess Tour" which is an excellent FQE initiative that we are proud to be a part of.

Contact phone number: Larry Bevand 514-781-4350

Re: Before I finalize things...

Just pointing out that Aug 15 is only 4 days after the Canadian Closed ends.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
      Just pointing out that Aug 15 is only 4 days after the Canadian Closed ends.
      Hi John,

I considered that a plus...once we get all these great Canadian talents to Montreal for the Canadian Closed...taking them up to a resort location for some sun and relaxation...and chess of course :)...would be an easy sell :)

Am I wrong?

Larry

Comment

Re : Re: Before I finalize things...

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Hi John,

I considered that a plus...once we get all these great Canadian talents to Montreal for the Canadian Closed...taking them up to a resort location for some sun and relaxation...and chess of course :)...would be an easy sell :)

Am I wrong?

Larry
        I thought exactly the same thing. It will be a great opportunity for people to play in both tournaments.... and probably a good opportunity for the Canadian Closed organizers to take a break :D

Anyway, I can't say anything against the tournament. The prize fund, the venue and the dates seem perfect to me. I won't miss this opportunity. :)

Comment

with formatting..
          CAPITALS, :, bolds, normal fonts are used there and here so sporadically that they do not create a sense of completeness. (sorry too tired to write more - sang many lullabies)

Comment

I considered that a plus...

Am I wrong?
            I hope not.

I remember being exhausted after last year's Closed.

... of course, if I win this year's Closed I'm sure I'll have more than enough enthusiasm :D

Comment

I think having round 3 on the 17th at 630pm, and round 4 on the 18th at 11am seems like a tight fit. If you have the room all day and want to "wean" people to an earlier start, I might start round 4 at like 1pm or so.

Would consider FIDE rating the <2000 section.

A bit of formatting to make the structure easier to read.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                I think having round 3 on the 17th at 630pm, and round 4 on the 18th at 11am seems like a tight fit. If you have the room all day and want to "wean" people to an earlier start, I might start round 4 at like 1pm or so.

Would consider FIDE rating the <2000 section.

A bit of formatting to make the structure easier to read.

Hi David,

Thanks! Yes a 1 pm start on Saturday is very doable..and a good suggestion :) The formatting is great!...could you make the following correction...U1800 class prize is for the U2000 section and U1500 class prize is for the U1700 section.

Larry

Comment

Comment

WOW!!!

Thanks David...you can change the Saturday round to 1 PM...it makes perfect sense to me :)

Next thing: I received an e-mail from Serge Archambault suggesting that on the shorter version of the event...we start at 11 am on the Friday (apparently the chess world hates early mornings :) and change the time control for the first two rounds to 61 minutes per player to mate...comments from you and others would be appreciated.

Larry

Comment

Re : Re: Before I finalize things...

WOW!!!

Thanks David...you can change the Saturday round to 1 PM...it makes perfect sense to me :)

Next thing: I received an e-mail from Serge Archambault suggesting that on the shorter version of the event...we start at 11 am on the Friday (apparently the chess world hates early mornings :) and change the time control for the first two rounds to 61 minutes per player to mate...comments from you and others would be appreciated.

Larry
                      I would have no problem with starting at 11 am. However, 61 minutes per player to mate is way too fast for me. For once that we have the opportunity to play in a one game/day tournament, we should at least try to have a reasonnable time control that would allow us to have interesting games...

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Before I finalize things...

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                        I For once that we have the opportunity to play in a one game/day tournament...
                        Even the Canadian "Closed" do not provide such a wonderful opportunity...;)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Before I finalize things...

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                          I would have no problem with starting at 11 am. However, 61 minutes per player to mate is way too fast for me. For once that we have the opportunity to play in a one game/day tournament, we should at least try to have a reasonnable time control that would allow us to have interesting games...
                          Not sure what this refers to; the second time control is 30 minutes to mate, plus a 30 second increment. I imagine there's some concern about how late games could finish during the week - if a game starts at 630pm sharp, the first time control will come at approximately 10:15pm at the latest, and then the last games should be done by 11:30pm. If the second time control was (for example) G/60 + 30sec, you will have games lasting until past midnight on weekdays. This could possibly deter many people from choosing to play the open section.

Comment

This is sounding like a big event, over 200 players?

Evening games are nice, allowing daytime exploring. Some may need unwinding time at the bar, but there's no morning game to worry about.

Is FQE membership required? How much, and included with entry?

I would need directions or be picked up from train/airport in Montreal.

I'm open to sharing a room, anyway to get players together?

Tournament webpage with advanced registration?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Before I finalize things...

Not sure what this refers to; the second time control is 30 minutes to mate, plus a 30 second increment. I imagine there's some concern about how late games could finish during the week - if a game starts at 630pm sharp, the first time control will come at approximately 10:15pm at the latest, and then the last games should be done by 11:30pm. If the second time control was (for example) G/60 + 30sec, you will have games lasting until past midnight on weekdays. This could possibly deter many people from choosing to play the open section.
                              Sorry, my bad. I hadn't realized he was talking about the shorter version. In this case, the 61 minutes to mate is reasonnable.

Comment

Working...
                              X