Why do you think the CYCC is important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you think the CYCC is important?

Answer: "The importance of the CYCC lies in its offering of healthy competition and community building within peer groups. The best in the country arrive and compete, all the while receiving practical feedback on their play relative to their peers and affording each competitor an opportunity to learn something about Canada through first-hand ...accounts of activities in other parts of the country. For those that go on to represent Canada at the WYCC, the same benefits and responsibilities apply on a global scale. It really is a grand experience within a great community. Chess, as life itself, of course, transcends governing bodies and truly depends on its community to shape and define it. The competitors in the CYCC represent the future of this community in Canada. "

Michael von Keitz
    CFC President
    2001, 2002, & 2003 CYCC Participant

==================

CYCC 2012, July 3-6, 2012 in Surrey, BC

See what others think and join the conversation at the CYCC 2012 Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Can...52531104828329

CYCC 2012 Website: http://www.bcjuniorchess.com/cycc-2012/
    Last edited by Victoria Jung-Doknjas; Tuesday, 6th March, 2012, 02:38 AM.

Re: Why do you think the CYCC is important?

Wonderfully said Michael.

Comment

Great to see our colleagues in Vancouver/Surrey take on this challenge! The CYCC gives our young players a chance to see a different part of Canada every year, an invaluable perspective on the country. We hope some of the players make the trek to Victoria after the CYCC to take in the Canadian Open.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        Great to see our colleagues in Vancouver/Surrey take on this challenge! The CYCC gives our young players a chance to see a different part of Canada every year, an invaluable perspective on the country. We hope some of the players make the trek to Victoria after the CYCC to take in the Canadian Open.
        I still have "vivid" memories of my first Canadian Junior championship in 1972, in London, Ontario with its 9 games in five days schedule. I don't think I saw anything but the small room in the shopping mall where the event took place. With their usually tight schedules, north american tournaments are not compatible with sightseeing and "invaluable perspectives". People are up for a big disappointment if they expect anything but chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          I still have "vivid" memories of my first Canadian Junior championship in 1972, in London, Ontario with its 9 games in five days schedule. I don't think I saw anything but the small room in the shopping mall where the event took place. With their usually tight schedules, north american tournaments are not compatible with sightseeing and "invaluable perspectives". People are up for a big disappointment if they expect anything but chess.
          Thanks for pointing this out Jean. Opportunities to visit Beautiful British Columbia is there for the taking...one just has to plan appropriately. In the CYCC's case, the 1st round will begin on the morning of Tuesday, July 3rd and the last round will be on Friday, July 6th. I would suggest that families consider flying out early to BC, say Saturday, June 30th and enjoy next day's Canada's Day in Vancouver. This will give participants time to enjoy various attractions like Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, etc., even before the first move of the CYCC is done.

And for those extending their stay for the Canadian Open, there is an one day break opportunity between the end of the CYCC and the beginning of the Canadian Open (i.e., Saturday, July 7th). This is another day's opportunity to enjoy more of BC's great outdoors or take in indoor activities like TELUS World of Science, Vancouver Aquarium (located in Stanley Park), etc.

The ferry ride from BC's Lower Mainland to Victoria, BC, where the Canadian Open will be, is a breath-taking experience in itself. And the location of the Canadian Open is at one of the best hotels in Canada, the Hotel Grand Pacific, and is LITERALLY walking distances to all the major attactions and best restaurants in downtown Victoria, BC.

As in chess, plan well, and the outcome could very well be one of the most memorable experiences of your life.

Hope to see you all in July!

==================

CYCC 2012, July 3-6, 2012 in Surrey, BC

See what others think and join the conversation at the CYCC 2012 Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canadi...52531104828329

CYCC 2012 Website: http://www.bcjuniorchess.com/cycc-2012/

Comment

Je me souviens, aussi. The only thing I remember from outside the shopping mall playing hall was the snow. Huge piles of it arrived just before the the tournament. I improvidentially had brought only running shoes. You can take the boy out of the West Coast, but you can't ... I don't even remember going somewhere to sleep, but I must have. The snow was an important 11th player in the tournament, as Kevin Spraggett had decided to arrive at the last minute, but the trains were delayed, and so was his first round game with (as chance would have it) co-favourite John MacPhail. As I recall, MacPhail ground down the tired Spraggett in a long game. My highpoint was a game that got published in the Russian-language chess & checkers weekly "64". www.64.ru

As Victoria points out, with planning, time and money, a family could map out a fuller cultural experience. But to regard the days of the event itself as anything other than Chess Immersion, is unrealistic. Chess Immersion is a good thing, if you don't get chess immersion in your regular life. It does include intimate interaction with other young players from around the country.

I had my own cultural experiences as TD at a CYCC. A player had run afoul of the rules of chess. I explained the rule in English. No comprehension. Then I tried French. Still nothing. Noticing that his name was Russian, I tried as best I could in that language. Bingo! On another occasion, a player from the rural francophonie had a question. I understood not a word. Before I could dive in for elucidation, his opponent said clearly, in French, what the player had been asking about. I understood every word, and the sense of the sentence. I was grateful, but curious, so later I looked up where the opponent was from: Saskatchewan, of all places. So, thank goodness for French Immersion, alongside Chess Immersion.

One big difference between the Junior (under-20) and Youth (8-18) is that "family" was rarely a factor in Junior events. Players travelled on their own, at least in my recollection of two Juniors as a player and one as organizer (1970-74).

Comment

You guys were responsible for me getting into tournament chess.
              I came and watched. If it wasnt for that spectable I may have never got started. It was easy for you to concentrate on chess. There was simply nothing to see in London '72 except huge snowdrifts

Comment

Working...
              X