Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Detecting Cheating in Chess by Computer Analysis

Originally posted by Terry Chaisson View Post

That being said, if your are not exaggerating, and your opponent actually did leave the playing area after every move I can see how someone might become suspicious. Did you bring it up with the TD during or after the game? It is hard for a TD watch every player in a large open but keeping an eye on one might be possible. Also having a delay in the broadcasting of games on the internet seems reasonable. It has been done in some European tournaments already so it must be possible. That would remove the possibility of receiving help from an internet accomplice but it still would not stop someone with a chess program on a smart phone hidden in their pocket.
    Unfortunately, in this day and age, while delay provides protection against some cheating i.e. a friend watching the game, it can't protect against someone going to the washroom and pulling out a strong engine on their cell phone. In smaller tournaments, TDs should try to collect cell phones from participants, but of course this isn't practical in a Canadian Open.
    I think that a TD could try to at least investigate an unusual behaviour such as a player visiting the washroom too often, but that said, many players tend to frequent the washroom on many more occasions then they normally would, due to the stress involved in the game.
    Ultimately, this is where the TDs have to "prove their worth" by taking this issue seriously and coming up with various ideas to combat the threat, but at the same time ensuring that they only accuse someone of cheating if they have very solid proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
      Ultimately, this is where the TDs have to "prove their worth" by taking this issue seriously and coming up with various ideas to combat the threat, but at the same time ensuring that they only accuse someone of cheating if they have very solid proof.
      The game in question suggests that if either player had help it was from an over rated CFC 800 player and even that comment is insulting towards overrated CFC 800 players. There must have been a time scramble.

I think that there should be some kind of sanction for nonsensical charges of cheating. There is no point in entertaining ideas like dress codes to raise the profile and prestige of chess when we allow such rampant ignorance and stupidity to fester among us. Multiple blunders in a single game usually result in a loss without any need to resort to an explanation that the opponent cheated because he managed to take advantage of the last blunder after missing the first few.

Comment

I don't know about tournaments elsewhere, but when I direct tournaments in Toronto I expect certain individuals to come to me with such accusations. Why? Because they have done so repeatedly in the past... sometimes multiple times in one event.

After having covertly kept an eye on a few of there opponents the first couple times I simply realized that these individual need to make themselves a tin-foil helmet to protect themselves from the radiation that the Russians/Nazis/Illuminati/Knights Templar/Aliens are obviously using to manipulate there minds.

Comment

I can't see any outside help either.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            I can't see any outside help either.
            I'll agree with Gary for a change. Both sides made bad blunders which, if they were helped by computers, should take whatever program was involved off the market. Black got a totally won game and then made a bad blunder which shouldn't need the help of a computer to see for anyone over 1400. White made more bad moves, but black made the last very bad move. Looks all too human to me.

Comment

Working...
            X