2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting - In Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting - In Progress

CFC Secretary Lyle Craver on Sunday, April 1, posted the link on the CFC " Private Forums " page, for the separate confidential sub-page for the 2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting and the meeting is now into its second day.

All 56 governors from across the country are invited to attend and sign in! So far, 18 are in attendance after one full day.

Updates as are allowed ( the meeting is closed to members/public by decision a while ago of the governors ), are being posted on the CFC " News " Forum.

If you have any issues you want raised, contact your local CFC Governor ( list at top of the CFC Members' Chess Chat Forum and the " News " Forum ), and mutually prepare a submission.

The meeting runs to Saturday, April 7.

Bob A, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Re: 2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting - In Progress

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    CFC Secretary Lyle Craver on Sunday, April 1, posted the link on the CFC " Private Forums " page, for the separate confidential sub-page for the 2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting and the meeting is now into its second day.

All 56 governors from across the country are invited to attend and sign in! So far, 18 are in attendance after one full day.

Updates as are allowed ( the meeting is closed to members/public by decision a while ago of the governors ), are being posted on the CFC " News " Forum.

If you have any issues you want raised, contact your local CFC Governor ( list at top of the CFC Members' Chess Chat Forum and the " News " Forum ), and mutually prepare a submission.

The meeting runs to Saturday, April 7.

Posting this a day or two after it starts?

What about:

1) a link to the list of CFC Governors (http://chess.ca/governors-page)

2) Updating that page to show email addresses instead of hotlinking to launch outlook

Comment

2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting - Publicityi

Hi David:

Notice of the meeting has been posted well in advance on the CFC Discussion Forums ( two of them ) both before the start and subsequently. Most CFC items are posted on those sites generally.

Sometimes we post some of the items here as well, on the CMA board. This time I've been busy with the meeting, and attending it, and publicizing it on the CFC boards. It just occurred to me that this was one time when it might be beneficial to put a post here, so I got to it a day late - my apologies.

CFC was asked not to post links to its websites on this board.

I will look into the e-mail address issue you raise. My technological skills are limited. I did what I thought was normally acceptable on the lists on the discussion forums. Also, all e-mail addresses are associated with the names of all governors on the CFC website.

Comment

Re: 2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting - Update Items

The updates being posted on the CFC " News " Forum are:

1. All agenda motions being debated are posted;
        2. There is a running list of named governors in attendance ( updated throughout each day );
        3. Any proposed amendments to agenda motions will be posted;
        4. Any new motions proposed will be posted.

Bob Armstrong, CFC Public Relations Coordinator/GTCL ( Ont. ) Governor

Comment

Re : 2012 Spring Governors' On-line Meeting - In Progress

Motion 2012-S Improved Bonus Point Formula

Moved by Paul Leblanc
          Seconded by Fred McKim

To replace the existing Bonus Point Formula (CFC Handbook Art. 714.d) with the following:

BONUS 1 = Rmax BONUS *a*Ke
          BONUS 2 = b*RATING CHANGE BONUS*(Rnew – Rold – THRESHOLD)*Ke
          TOTAL BONUS = BONUS 1 + BONUS 2

where:
          a = 1 if the new rating is at an all time high, 0 otherwise;
          b = 1 if Rnew > Rold + Threshold, 0 otherwise;

Threshold = RtgChangeThreshold*Ke*sqrt(n) where n is the number of games played; no bonus points are awarded if less than 4 games are played;

Ke is the ratio of the player's K factor to the K factor used for players rated under 2200; For the CFC rating system, K=32 for players under 2200 and K=16 for players at or over 2200;

Rnew is the post-event rating and Rold is the pre-event rating;
          and RatingMaxBonus, RtgChangeBonus, and RtgChangeThreshold are constants with the following values:
          RatingMaxBonus = 20; RtgChangeBonus = 1.75; RtgChangeThreshold = 13.

The numerical values in the bonus point equation may be adjusted from time to time by the Rating Auditor as deemed necessary and in consultation with the CFC Executive

Reason for Motion:

The proposed formula is based on detailed analysis of the existing tournament data base from 2006 to 2011 and is distilled from the examination of numerous options. It does a superior job of injecting rating points, i.e. when modelled, it generated ratings that more closely predicted actual game results than the existing system.

There were concerns that the existing formula awarded disproportionate bonus points to a small group of high rated players. The proposed formula improves this.

The rating system is inherently deflationary. Care was taken to select a formula that minimizes the effects of inflation and deflation.

The proposed formula mitigates the problem of under-rated juniors by awarding bonus points to players achieving new personal high ratings and by awarding a generous bonus to exceptional performances. These criteria are very common among juniors.

Detailed examination of the methodology leading to this proposal can be found at:

http://www.victoriachess.com/cfc/cfc_rating_doc.htm
          April fools' day? :D

Comment

Working...
          X