Chess in Newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in Newspapers

Caption: Pieces in play: Chess players argue over a dispute d,ove during a game at the North York Central Library Tuesday by Brent Lewin
    source: North York The Mirror; 2008 June 06

The original is in color. Should I replace with it?
    I love the fight of hands.

Re : Chess in Newspapers

Is that chess or checkers?

It seems like en an old newspaper but it is recent.
    Last edited by Felix Dumont; Tuesday, 10th June, 2008, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Chess in Newspapers

It is not checkers. All the pieces on the lower side of the board are on one colour square (=checkers). All the pieces on the upper side of the board are on one colour (=checkers). But the two colours are different (= not checkers).

Because the image is in Negative, it makes you think that the colours of the squares are wrong, but the colours are correct. The algebraic coding of the board is set up so that White is at the bottom. But with the image in Negative, the White pieces may appear to be darker than the Black pieces. If the pieces are red and black (cyan and white in Negative), they are trying to play checkers.

Whew!

Comment

Re: Chess in Newspapers

OK, I'll post the original. I am not sure about copyright issues, thus I altered picture: Find Edge + Negative.
        White on top (probably they are playing the second game :)

Comment

I think the picture was taken in TeenZone (the main floor).
          Once I saw playing older people at the same place on Sunday.

---
          Looking through the web archive of http://www.insidetoronto.com found this wonderful story:
          Local chess club aims to checkmate opponents (it is from the last)
          http://www.insidetoronto.com/News/Ea.../article/21532
          Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 10th June, 2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

A huge collection of world newspapers:

http://www.pressdisplay.com

A free subscription gives a limited access of today's newspapers. The Toronto Star is included, but Saturday paper is archived and it cost to view. Globe and Mail as well. The search finds various chess problems/articles from all over the world.

Hope it is unknown and will be useful to you.

Comment

Players in Toronto with a library card can go on to the library site and see archived chess columns/articles/references from the Globe & Mail and the Star up until seven years ago. There's also a Canadian Newspaper database that has post-internet era chess columns in Ottawa and Larry Bevand's in Montreal.

The Mirror has over many years previousily published photos of kids playing chess.

Comment

Working...
              X