Internet Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Chess

A preposterous idea is being presented that chess on the internet is "correspondance chess", and is overseen by a small correspondance group in Canada. This is one of silliest concepts I've ever read.

Chess is public domain, the internet is public domain. Servers are just physical storage devices for apps and/or data. There is no implied ownership in any of this, beyond perhaps small aspects like app design. I doubt there are patents on any of this.
    Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 9th April, 2012, 12:53 PM.

Re: Internet Chess

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
    A preposterous idea is being presented that chess on the internet is "correspondance chess", and is overseen by a small correspondance group in Canada. This is one of silliest concepts I've ever read.

Chess is public domain, the internet is public domain. Servers are just physical storage devices for apps and/or data. There is no implied ownership in any of this, beyond perhaps small aspects like app design. I doubt there are patents on any of this.
    Thankfully no one has suggested rating blindfold chess (at least so far).

I would not necessarily invoke the use of patents as anything but another snake pit.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Thankfully no one has suggested rating blindfold chess (at least so far).

I would not necessarily invoke the use of patents as anything but another snake pit.
      I don't think it needs that. FIDE is the official chess organization. The International Correspondence Chess Federation (ICCF) is the official international correspondence organization. They are recognized by FIDE and FIDE approves all the correspondence titles.

FIDE recognizes the CFC as the official Canadian over the board organization.
      ICCF recognizes the CCCA as the official Canadian correspondence organization.

I don't know if curlers know all this very important information.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I dunno what any of this means.

Comment

It means if you play chess on the internet and press the time control "one move per day", you have morphed into the CCCA's mandate. Apparently, if you press "30 minutes", there are CFC governors fighting over this "pot of gold" as we speak.
          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 9th April, 2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I'm curious as to what movers and supporters of the withdrawn Governors Code of Conduct motion think about the CCCA Rep CFC Governor who is publicly having a fit on the CFC Discussion board about the passed motion concerning the CFC rating Internet games.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 9th April, 2012, 08:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Correspondence/Internet Chess...

Are some getting their shorts in a knot without a good reason?

They are not the same thing.

CC is measured in calendar days (albeit played via e-mail or server) and internet chess (OTB style) in clock time. CC allows books, computers and other research while "OTB" internet chess does not as far as I know.

It is difficult to believe that the CFC wants to rate the games that take weeks or months to complete. I would bet that they only meant to rate OTB style internet chess.

Can anyone elucidate?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post
                I dunno what any of this means.
                I think it means the CFC will charge a rating fee to rate games where you possibly play against some computer over the internet. Then we can go back to discussing the purity of the CFC rating system.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Correspondence/Internet Chess...

See later post.
                  Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 10th April, 2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

He then tries to claim the CCCA has ownership rights to the vast majority of internet chess in Canada.
                    I think his writing was completely different.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                      I think it means the CFC will charge a rating fee to rate games where you possibly play against some computer over the internet
                      Wrong. At least everything would be left TDs' honesty.

Maybe you know if there was a huge rise of new correspondence GM, IM, and SIMs after Fritz&bro became strong enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        I think his writing was completely different.
                        The exact quotes from Mr. Demian :

"For those who do not know by now, the official body responsible for ANY form of correspondence chess in this country is CCCA! By any form of correspondence chess I include the 3 most popular forms: postal, email and server/ internet chess."

"It should specify organized internet chess in Canada falls under the jurisdiction of CCCA EXCEPT the situations covered by the motion. "

The CCCA has no jurisdiction in this matter. This is the bottom line. Chess politicians can talk this to death, create all sorts of reworked definitions and try to arm wrestle monopoly powers based on those self created definitions. But none of that matters. Nobody owns internet chess.
                        Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 10th April, 2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

The exact quotes from Mr. Demain :

"For those who do not know by now, the official body responsible for ANY form of correspondence chess in this country is CCCA! By any form of correspondence chess I include the 3 most popular forms: postal, email and server/ internet chess."

"It should specify organized internet chess in Canada falls under the jurisdiction of CCCA EXCEPT the situations covered by the motion. "

The CCCA has no jurisdiction in this matter. This is the bottom line. Chess politicians can talk this to death, create all sorts of reworked definitions and try to arm wrestle monopoly powers based on those self created definitions. But none of that matters. Nobody owns internet chess.
                          You could at least spell his name correctly if you are quoting him! Valer Eugen Demian
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                            It is difficult to believe that the CFC wants to rate the games that take weeks or months to complete. I would bet that they only meant to rate OTB style internet chess.

Can anyone elucidate?
                            Yes, Ken. That is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              Wrong. At least everything would be left TDs' honesty.

Maybe you know if there was a huge rise of new correspondence GM, IM, and SIMs after Fritz&bro became strong enough?
                              I've noticed there has been a large increase in GM's and IM's in over the board after Fritz&bro became strong enough. When I was a junior there were ZERO over the board GM's in Canada.

I think what happened is the ratings became inflated and the criteria for attaining the title did not increase to match the ratings.

Of course, your comments to me are insulting and unworthy of someone of your intelligence. If winning a title was as simple as you suggest I would have made GM, but I did not. In fact, I made my norms playing team events for Canada playing those from other nations who were good enough to make their national team and also in events where I was invited.

The advantage of correspondence chess is there are mostly adults who decided to become professionals instead of carrying on with a chess career. Players used to use it to try out chess theory and variations. I always felt they were sportsmen who played for the competition.

It's not throwing rocks down the ice and hollering as loud as you can to get other players to sweep in front of the rock. Go faster, Go farther, Go slower, slow down, speed up, damn, damn damn!!! :)
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                              X