Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pogonina hating on Nakamura

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
    The article and main topic of discussion still essentially revolves almost solely around the rating and ranking system
    The first prize was ~1100$. Is it less worth than ~5points (sic)?

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
      People will choose to believe whatever they wish to believe. One cannot change that. However, bringing joy to the many children, parents and the organizers while attempting to raise the profile of chess in British Columbia is what matters most and always will.
      Thank you for that pure and simple statement and for investing your time and energy... Has anyone mentioned that it rains quite a bit less in Toronto? :)
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        y... Has anyone mentioned that it rains quite a bit less in Toronto? :)
        not really and definately not at this time of year - I think you have us confused with Vancouver :-)

Amounts of rainfall here are quite dependent on exactly where you are relative to various mountains and other geography. Victoria has similar annual rainfall to Toronto or Ottawa but the seasonal distribution is quite different.

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com...ageprecip.html

Comment

Thank you for that pure and simple statement and for investing your time and energy.

Comment

Nakamura - GPO - FIDE Rating Points Won?

Post by Keven Eyre in Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) Facebook chess discussion group : CCC - Chess Posts of Interest:

" Please correct me if I am wrong, but on the FIDE rating calculator page it says a 2770 player with a K value of 10 (which I assume would apply) would get 0.1 point beating a 2150 player. http://ratings.fide.com/calculator_rtd.phtml"

Nakamura won all 6 rounds. Second went to a WGM rated 2320 ( difference of 451 pts. ). There were 6 tied for 3rd, one of whom didn't have a FIDE rating; the other 5 had an average FIDE rating of 2186 ( difference of almost 600 points ).

Is Eric right on the total of 4 points for Nakamura from the Grand Pacific Open for 6 wins?

Here are Hikaru's opponents:

ID Name Country Rating Total Games DB
            2016192 Nakamura, Hikaru USA 2771 6.0 Game
            Round Opp. name Opp. Fed. Title W.Title Opp. Rtng Score View
            1 2012-04-06 Han, Yiming CAN 0 1.0
            2 2012-04-07 Patterson, Roger CAN 2107 1.0
            3 2012-04-07 Gluckie, Jamin CAN 2098 1.0
            4 2012-04-08 Kenney, Jason CAN 2143 1.0
            5 2012-04-08 Maisuradze, Nino FRA wg 2320 1.0
            6 2012-04-09 Haynes, Nicolas CAN 2192 1.0

Bob , CCC Coordinator
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 11th April, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Re: Nakamura - GPO - FIDE Rating Points Won?

Post by Keven Eyre in Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) Facebook chess discussion group : CCC - Chess Posts of Interest:

" Against the 2320 player, I see that he gets 0.6 points. The others seem to gain him 0.1 ( or 0.2 against the 2192 player). So it looks like he gains about 1 point.

If he draws a 2200 player he loses 4.4 points. A very unlikely loss would lose him 9.8 points.

I am no expert in chess ratings, to be sure. This is from that FIDE rating page.

So I humbly defer to a better assessment -- and an IM would most probably have that. "

So who is right? Eric said Hikaru won 4 pts.; Keven says 1 pt..

Bob , CCC Coordinator

Comment

Re: Nakamura - GPO - FIDE Rating Points Won?

I received an e-mail on this issue from Ontario Chess Association President, Rob Clark ( I am assuming it was not meant to be confidential & provides an answer):

" FIDE bumps all opponents rated over 400 points difference to 400 points under what they are. It is in fact .8 points a win at that point. He did gain .8*5 or 4 rating points. Eg if he played me and we say my CFC rating is a FIDE rating FIDE doesn't count it as him beating a 1700, it counts it as him beating 2760 [ BA - Hikaru's current FIDE rating is 2771 ] -400 or rather him beating a 2360 [ BA - on my calculation " 2371 ]. "

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Comment

One of the world's best players plays in a Canadian event and people are whining because he might have gained four rating points? How many points did he lose when he played in Toronto in 2009 when he lost to Artiom Samsonkin? Sure things have a way of not being so sure.

Comment

I don't like the Euro-centric attitude. In Europe, there are lots of tournaments, including opens, where a 2700+ player will have plenty of 2300+ opponents to meet. They have to go out of their way to find events with only 2100 opponents. But the Grand Pacific Open is the best weekender in Canada. So a European is saying "come to Europe and play us under jetlag, and don't play in your own back yard." I say (paraphrasing Geza Fuster), go back to the Soviet Union.

The previous time the Pacific Northwest had a world-class player, Yasser Seirawan would pick the odd tournament to play in, whether out of friendship with the organizer or to promote the then new FIDE rapid rating system. Nobody complained, and he gave up FIDE-rated draws and even losses to local mortals.

The late D.A. Yanofsky was banned from the Manitoba Closed because his dominance was thought to be a discouragement to the other participants. That at a time when outside observers, unaware of the banning, were asking "Why doesn't Yanofsky play more and prove that he still has what it takes?"

Telling people not to play: invidious.

Comment

I personally ( CCC has not taken any position on this, just raised the issue since it was topical, given the Pogonina postings ) am pleased someone of Nakamura's stature would help out the organizers of the GPO by playing, and thus promote chess in Canada. Thanks Hikaru.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

...The previous time the Pacific Northwest had a world-class player, Yasser Seirawan would pick the odd tournament to play in, whether out of friendship with the organizer or to promote the then new FIDE rapid rating system. Nobody complained, and he gave up FIDE-rated draws and even losses to local mortals. ...

I remember Pete Peto making a draw vs Yasser in a Danish (or maybe it was a Goring?) Gambit way back. First time I realized that GMs weren't gods who never made mistakes.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                          How many points did he lose when he played in Toronto in 2009 when he lost to Artiom Samsonkin?
                          He(NH) did not loose points (in the event). The tournaments was not FIDE rated, the CFC rating jumped by 46 points :D Check the crosstable ;)

Comment

Facebook Debate Summary - Over 2700's and Local Tournaments

Posted in the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) FB discussion group: " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest " by CCC Coordinator, Bob Armstrong ( slightly edited ):

If I can try to summarize the debate in this FB group ( 21 comments ), it seems most posters believe it is a good thing for over 2700's to play in weaker local tournaments. This promotes chess at the local level, since such registrants are used to advertise the tournament, and attract attention and other players. Also, over-2700's should have the freedom to play when and where they want. And this exercise on their part is not risk free - everyone, even super-GM's have bad days, and hit a lower-rated player on a good day, and can draw or lose. So it is not a slam-dunk that they will gain FIDE rating points, though generally, this would be expected, and is acceptable.

If anyone wants to add anything to my summary, or to object to any part of it, please feel free. CCC is pleased to get chessplayer input on current chess issues in this FB group, and will try to summarize the comments on posts when activity seems to have died down a bit, to give everyone a snapshot of the debate at that point.

Comment

So let's even things up by having all WC contenders (2750+ rateds) play in weekend swiss tournaments. This would definately enhance local chess. Imagine the world champion playing in your weekender! This has actually happened!
                              In 1972 I organized and directed the Toronto CNE Open with 347 players with
                              five GMs (there were only about 40 GMs in the world then!). And Boris Spassky was one of them - almost certainly the only time a WC has ever played in a weekend swiss. Probably will never happen again :( Last I heard was that Kasparov demands $250,000 to have breakfast with you - AND you pay for the breakfast. I wouldn't have breakfast with Nigel Short if HE was paying. Not all super GMs are nice people.

Comment

Thank you for that pure and simple statement and for investing your time and energy... Has anyone mentioned that it rains quite a bit less in Toronto? :)
                                But Kerry, in Ontario Hikaru would have to pay entry fees to play in weekenders with "based on" prizes. Do you think that could happen ? ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X