Golden Opportunity for IM and GM norms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Opportunity for IM and GM norms

I believe this is a great opportunity for our players!

If you are someone who has represented your province at the Nationals of the Canadian Chess Challenge on at least 2 occasions in the past...with a rating over 2200...and are under 20 years old on May 21 2012...I think the Chess'n Math Association can help you financially (I have a board meeting at the end of April...so contact me by April 28, 2012, so that I can get this approved.

Send me an e-mail so I can put your request forward: bevand@chess-math.org

Here is the post on the Chess Federation of Canada website today by CFC Prez Michael von Keitz (www.chess.ca).

The Fifth New York International Chess Tournament will take place from June 20 to 24, 2012 and I would like to extend an invitation to members of your federation to participate.

Since its premiere in 2008, the event has grown every year in size and strength and is an excellent opportunity for both established Grandmasters (the $12,500 prize fund in the Championship section is unconditionally guaranteed) and younger players who seek to obtain IM and GM norms. Last year, players from 17 different federations, including 25 Grandmasters and International Masters, took part, ensuring norm possibilities independent of pairings with foreign players.

The New York International is organized by the historic Marshall Chess Club and will take place at the Manhattan Campus of St. John’s University in the heart of downtown Manhattan under impeccable playing conditions.
    For details please consult the attached invitation or visit the official tournament website at:
    http://www.marshallchessclub.org/tou...ernational2012

Please do not hesitate to contact us by E-mail (admin@marshallchessclub.org) or telephone
    (+1-212-477-3716) for any questions or concerns you might have.

I would be delighted to be able to welcome members of your federation to the Marshall and the Fifth New York International.

Sincerely,

Dr. Frank Brady,
    International Arbiter
    President, Marshall Chess Club
    Attached Files 5th NY International 2012 .pdf (1.06 MB, 0 views)

Re: Golden Opportunity for IM and GM norms

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

If you are someone who has represented your province at the Nationals of the Canadian Chess Challenge on at least 2 occasions in the past...with a rating over 2200...and are under 20 years old on May 21 2012...I think the Chess'n Math Association can help you financially (I have a board meeting at the end of April...so contact me by April 28, 2012, so that I can get this approved.

Here is the post on the Chess Federation of Canada website today by CFC Prez Michael von Keitz (www.chess.ca).

The Fifth New York International Chess Tournament will take place from June 20 to 24, 2012 and I would like to extend an invitation to members of your federation to participate.

Since its premiere in 2008, the event has grown every year in size and strength and is an excellent opportunity for both established Grandmasters (the $12,500 prize fund in the Championship section is unconditionally guaranteed) and younger players who seek to obtain IM and GM norms. Last year, players from 17 different federations, including 25 Grandmasters and International Masters, took part, ensuring norm possibilities independent of pairings with foreign players.

The New York International is organized by the historic Marshall Chess Club and will take place at the Manhattan Campus of St. John’s University in the heart of downtown Manhattan under impeccable playing conditions.
    For details please consult the attached invitation or visit the official tournament website at:

Please do not hesitate to contact us by E-mail (admin@marshallchessclub.org) or telephone
    (+1-212-477-3716) for any questions or concerns you might have.

I would be delighted to be able to welcome members of your federation to the Marshall and the Fifth New York International.

Sincerely,

Dr. Frank Brady,
    International Arbiter
    President, Marshall Chess Club
    Attached Files 5th NY International 2012 .pdf (1.06 MB, 0 views)
    We have received two requests for funding to this event so far:

Aman Hambleton and Tanraj Sohal.

Comment

I could be interested to play in this event. If you are interested in sharing accomodation (at least 5 nights) at St.John's University or elsewhere, please contact me at "jhebert1@videotron.ca".

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        I could be interested to play in this event. If you are interested in sharing accomodation (at least 5 nights) at St.John's University or elsewhere, please contact me at "jhebert1@videotron.ca".
        Bedtime at 7PM?

Comment

Corrected URL for tournament info:

...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Golden Opportunity for IM and GM norms

Wow. The accomodation is very cheap for NYC :) I would have surely participated, but with the current student strike I will have classes until September :(

Comment

Could someone give me the email of the organizer?

Comment

Re : Re: Golden Opportunity for IM and GM norms

Originally posted by Kovalyov Anton View Post
                Could someone give me the email of the organizer?
                BradyF@StJohns.edu for the organizer

admin@marshallchessclub.org for the Chess Club.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

The Chess'n Math Association Board received 3 requests for funding to this event.

They were from:

Aman Hambelton
                    Tanraj Sohal
                    Louie Jiang

It was determined that each of the players would receive $300, provided they met the conditions outlined above and that they played all their games at the New York event. I was also instructed to contact other eligible players who may not have seen this offer on ChessTalk. Maximum funding would be for 5 players.

Larry Bevand
                    Executive Director
                    Chess'n Math Association

Comment

The Chess'n Math Association Board received 3 requests for funding to this event.

They were from:

Aman Hambelton
                      Tanraj Sohal
                      Louie Jiang

It was determined that each of the players would receive $300, provided they met the conditions outlined above and that they played all their games at the New York event. I was also instructed to contact other eligible players who may not have seen this offer on ChessTalk. Maximum funding would be for 5 players.

Larry Bevand
                      Executive Director
                      Chess'n Math Association
                      Update:

Louie Jiang and Aman Hambelton have indicated that they will play in this event. We have not received confirmation from Tanraj Sohal. We also received a request from Raja Panjwani...although he is now 22 years old, he meets the other criteria for funding from the Chess'n Math Association. He will receive $200 from us. If there are other players out there who may have missed the age qualification but meet the other critera, please contact me: bevand@chess-math.org

Larry

Comment

Update:

Louie Jiang and Aman Hambelton have indicated that they will play in this event. We have not received confirmation from Tanraj Sohal. We also received a request from Raja Panjwani...although he is now 22 years old, he meets the other criteria for funding from the Chess'n Math Association. He will receive $200 from us. If there are other players out there who may have missed the age qualification but meet the other critera, please contact me: bevand@chess-math.org

Larry
                        The event ended on Sunday. Louie Jiang scored 5.5 out of 9 and Raja Panjwani scored 5 out of 9. Louie needed 6 points to finish in the money. IM Zhe Quan of Toronto scored 6 points.

You can find complete results at:

http://www.marshallchessclub.org/new...2gmand3imnorms

Comment

The event ended on Sunday. Louie Jiang scored 5.5 out of 9 and Raja Panjwani scored 5 out of 9. Louie needed 6 points to finish in the money. IM Zhe Quan of Toronto scored 6 points.

You can find complete results at:

http://www.marshallchessclub.org/new...2gmand3imnorms
                          Joey Qin of Ottawa also took part (I did not see his name on the crosstable as his official name is Ziyi Qin. He scored 4 points in the competition.

The Chess'n Math Association, Canada's National Scholastic Chess Organization, awarded the following sponsorship to Canadian youngsters for this event:

Louie Jiang (Montreal) - $300
                          Joey Qin (Ottawa) - $300
                          Raja Panjwani (Kitchener?) - $200

Larry Bevand
                          Executive Director
                          Chess'n Math Association

Comment

Working...
                          X