Chess Olympiad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Olympiad

The Canadian results will be available at chess-results site.

According to average ratings, Canada team is listed at 43 (total 157), and women team at 53 (119).

Re: Chess Olympiad

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

According to average ratings, Canada team is listed at 43 (total 157), and women team at 53 (119).
    A top 20 finish by one of the teams would be nice.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I had the pleasure of being an arbiter at the Olympics in Greece 1984 and Dubai 1986. I must admit that Hal's recent gig in Germany has stimulated me to put my name forward for the next Olympiad :). This is a great event! Lots of fun and plenty of socializing :). I would say it is THE party of the Chess World. I made lots of friends back then and I still keep in touch with some of them.

The Canadian teams:

47. CAN (RtgAvg:2500, Captain:Livshits, Ron)

Bo. Name Rtg FED
      1 GM Bluvshtein Mark 2557 CAN
      2 GM Charbonneau Pascal 2499 CAN
      3 IM Zugic Igor 2457 CAN
      4 IM Roussel-Roozmon Thomas 2486 CAN
      5 IM Noritsyn Nikolay 2372 CAN

53. CAN (RtgAvg:2124, Captain:Yuan, Wei Cheng (William))

Bo. Name Rtg FED
      1 WIM Khoudgarian Natalia 2149 CAN
      2 WFM Yuan Yuanling 2157 CAN
      3 WFM Kagramanov Dina 2118 CAN
      4 WFM Smith Hazel 2057 CAN
      5 Barron Irina 2071 CAN

Russia is ranked 1st in both divisions:

1. RUS (RtgAvg:2756, Captain:Bakh, Alexander)

Bo. Name Rtg FED
      1 GM Kramnik Vladimir 2772 RUS
      2 GM Morozevich Alexander 2787 RUS
      3 GM Svidler Peter 2727 RUS
      4 GM Grischuk Alexander 2719 RUS
      5 GM Jakovenko Dmitry 2737 RUS

1. RUS (RtgAvg:2491, Captain:Dokhoyan, Yuri)

Bo. Name Rtg FED
      1 GM Kosteniuk Alexandra 2525 RUS
      2 IM Kosintseva Tatiana 2513 RUS
      3 IM Kosintseva Nadezhda 2468 RUS
      4 IM Korbut Ekaterina 2459 RUS
      5 IM Tairova Elena 2422 RUS

We will also be following the U.S. team with Hikaru and Irina onboard:

10. USA (RtgAvg:2673, Captain:Donaldson, John W)

Bo. Name Rtg FED
      1 GM Kamsky Gata 2729 USA
      2 GM Nakamura Hikaru 2704 USA
      3 GM Onischuk Alexander 2644 USA
      4 GM Shulman Yuri 2616 USA
      5 GM Akobian Varuzhan 2606 USA

7. USA (RtgAvg:2396, Captain:Kaidanov, Gregory)

Bo. Name Rtg FED
      1 IM Krush Irina 2452 USA
      2 IM Zatonskih Anna 2440 USA
      3 WGM Goletiani Rusudan 2359 USA
      4 WGM Rohonyan Katerina 2334 USA
      5 WFM Abrahamyan Tatev 2286 USA

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        I had the pleasure of being an arbiter at the Olympics in Greece 1984 and Dubai 1986. I must admit that Hal's recent gig in Germany has stimulated me to put my name forward for the next Olympiad :). This is a great event! Lots of fun and plenty of socializing :). I would say it is THE party of the Chess World. I made lots of friends back then and I still keep in touch with some of them.
        I hope you get selected, Larry.

Doesn't the women's team have co-captains? Maybe I misread a post somewhere.

This year is match play. 1 win and 3 draws is a match win. 4 draws a match tie. I don't think a top 20 placing is too high a target for a country like Canada.

It's no fun to play on a team where you need binoculars to see the winner. Maybe I should say I didn't find it fun. The opinion of others may vary. :)
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The chess olympiad has its own TVchannel; please go to chessbase.com for an article(english-11.11.08) covering the start of the olympics. You download a program(I did it already) to your computer. This interface will give you games, interviews,etc once the olympics starts. It seems to work on my computer so far.

Wilf Ferner

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5010
          Last edited by Wilf Ferner; Tuesday, 11th November, 2008, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Haha, interesting post Larry. I must say that you definitely have more experience at Olympiads then I do, but the last one really left a rather sour taste in my mouth. I do think there is plenty of socializing for sure, but it seems to have become one of these events where the big news is who does the stupidest thing or who goes and screws around. Hopefully this Olympiad will prove me completely wrong though. Good luck to the Canadian team first and foremost unless they have to play the US.

Comment

It strikes me that the Men's Team may be our youngest ever. Will Livshits be able to step in if needed? If only five can play there could be a problem down the road. The good thing is that the Germans are so famously competent that food and lodgings should be first rate. Go Team!

Comment

The food and lodging should be fine for everyone. The more important question is whether the two imposed rules actually hold up. 1. They have said the doors to the playing hall will close exactly at 3 PM, so if you are late no luck. You'll forfeit no matter what. Also, there is supposedly a no draw before 30 moves rule. It should be interesting to see how it all works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                  Also, there is supposedly a no draw before 30 moves rule. It should be interesting to see how it all works out.
                  I think they had that rule once before many years ago.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
                    It strikes me that the Men's Team may be our youngest ever. Will Livshits be able to step in if needed? If only five can play there could be a problem down the road. The good thing is that the Germans are so famously competent that food and lodgings should be first rate. Go Team!
                    The core of the team has been going to every Olympiad this decade. Noritsyn is new but he's Canadian men's champion. In past years the debate has sometimes been whether the champion should be on first or second board. He's the reserve. That seems like an awfully strong situation to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                      Good luck to the Canadian team first and foremost unless they have to play the US.
                      There were 7 matches between CAN and US starting in 1964 (Yanofsky won against Reshevsky) and followings in '68, '70, '74, '78, '82, and '88. Unfortunately, CAN has never won any match.

http://www.olimpbase.org/teams/can_tea.html
                      Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 11th November, 2008, 03:48 PM.

Comment

I was joking with Igor Zugic at UMBRA on Sunday that he was the old hand on the team at age 26!! The average age is 21 and change with much experience - only Nikolay not experienced and he's one very tough player. The womens team has 3 stars average age under 20. Thats all very promising with a good blend of youth and experience. I will be following with great interest. Good Luck Team Canada!! GO TEAM GO!!

Comment

The national team is ready for prime time this year. With luck they will do very well. Final placement often is just whether you finish on an uptick or downtick, whether your pairings are favourable, if everyone stays healthy.

The women's team has come a long way from earlier this year so anything is possible. They can certainly build something really good looking towards 2010.
                          Last edited by Duncan Smith; Wednesday, 12th November, 2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilf Ferner View Post
                            The chess olympiad has its own TVchannel; please go to chessbase.com for an article(english-11.11.08) covering the start of the olympics. You download a program(I did it already) to your computer. This interface will give you games, interviews,etc once the olympics starts. It seems to work on my computer so far.

Wilf Ferner

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5010
                            Chessbase says: "The broadcasts start shortly after the opening ceremony on Monday." Except that the opening ceremony is Wednesday. At least on my computer, there seems to be no way to test whether the setup worked. What do you call that, a diagnostic? The best I can get is a black screen. There are also some interface issues. For example, it makes your mouse pointer disappear, even when it is appropriate to see the pointer.

To guard against identity theft, don't give your real birthdate. Why do they need it anyway?

I hope that it works better ... if not for me, then for others.

Comment

Today there was a new version of the beta software, which installed smoothly. And with improved interface. It says "Tuning in...", then, as before, the screen remains blank. Maybe the broadcast hasn't started yet, though it should be about midnight, Dresden time.

Comment

Working...
                              X