• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let the World Championship begin!

How are A, C and N showing an innovative approach

Comment

Rd 5 - Vishy's 3rd White withers

What to say? Vishy tried 1.e4 today and we got a reasonably feisty Sicilian. Once again Gelfand's phenominal preparation shone through. Anand again spent more time on the clock seeking some heat and Gelfand kept hosing him down.

I wondered about 22.(or 23?) Ra6 to try to get something going on the Q side. Instead after Bh3 Gelfand took some time and played Qb6 and a draw was agreed soon after.

With each passing game Anand must be feeling the pressure of being the favourite against a sturdy, prepared underdog. Vishy is in better physical shape which should help him cope with the strain.

Gelfand now gets 2 whites in a row as they switch the sequence for the last 6 games.

Comment

Re: Rd 5 - Vishy's 3rd White withers

Hello Hal

Perhaps you could comment: maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I find it surprising that neither player wears a tie during play (although both did for the opening ceremonies). Is this a reflection of a more relaxed atmosphere in comparison to previous matches, or a different attitude to attire at high-level events in general?

Comment

Re: Rd 5 - Vishy's 3rd White withers

Hi Stephen
          I wasn't in Sophia for Anand - Topalov but I don't think Anand generally wears a tie. He has a jacket or a dressy sweater with his sponsor logo over his shirt. I think it was game one when he handed me his jacket, and he has favoured his sweater since then. Gelfand wears a suit sans tie.

The understanding is that the players must appropriately. I don't know if a tie has been mandatory during play at any time.

As an aside, it's been hot in Moscow and today for our 15 minute walk to the site I decided to carry my shirt ,tie and jacket and change on site. Other days I have arrived in damp condition. The hall itself is mercifully cool.

Comment

Game 7; Gelfand draws first blood

A nice win by Gelfand today! Facing Anand's Slav he pushed to c5 and we got something new to the match.

Will Anand respond they way he did after his first loss to Topalov? We'll see tomorrow.

Comment

TEAM GELFAND

Comment

Anand strikes back in game 8, match again tied!

Another exciting game today, as the players try to adjust to different Arbiters starting the clocks. We swoop in from the Black side of the board. Ashot's right cross had no effect on Gelfand in games 1, 3 and 5, likewise my left hook had failed to rattle Anand in games 2, 4 and 6.

Now the colour sequence has alternated but we Arbiters have stuck to our rotation. Yesterday Ashot bewitched Anand and today Gelfand was jinxed by the lefty.

Aussie GM Ian Rogers was thinking that the 17 move win today by Anand was the shortest miniature in WCC history - he is double checking.

So although the match remains tied at 4 points each, the gloves are off. Tomorrow we rest and resume on Wednesday.

Comment

Is being an IA your full time job?

Norm

Comment

forgive me as these are random, disconnected observations:

1. one has the feeling that one would never see kasparov with his queen trapped on h1 like that.

2. i thought the g/90 nonsense now pervasive in canadian amateur chess was unfortunate but did you know the tiebreak rules call for game 13 to be 25 minutes with 10 second increment? how truly sad. please remind me a) the time control of the fischer spasski match. b) the scheduled duration of the fischer spasski match. (and i'm not asking because i don't know the answers).

3. for once a sportsman has handled the stupid modern reporter's universtal question "how did it feel....?" properly. what a moronic question. but you hear it every sporting interview nowadays. it was great to see gelfand say something to the effect "it doesn't matter how one feels about it. the game was a very strategic one....".

4. coverage is unprecedented, and ... beggars can't be choosers but.... marketing 101 says don't make 20 minute commercials.

Comment

Hi Norm - No this is not my full time job. I do try to make a living in chess though, teaching kids , organizing tournaments and sometimes being hired as an IA. As any chess pro in Canada will tell you, it ain't for the money!

Comment

Re: Anand strikes back in game 8, match again tied!

What is happening with these guys? it seems like the Pressure takes its toll. If someone looks at the last two games, and the names and ELO are not given, one will guess not much for the loser!
                        Last edited by Laurentiu Grigorescu; Monday, 21st May, 2012, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Hello David

According to the GMs here, the Q was not trapped. White's attack would simply flow quickly and easily. Boris analysed Qf4 but missed Qf2.

As you know there were 2 Fischer-Spassky matches. The second one used "Fischer" time controls for the first time. (In my opinion a vastly under rated element of his legacy) This mode has evolved with input from top players and officials world wide.

Game 13 is the beginning of tie breaks - again something that has evolved co-operatively. Some love it, others hate it, the rest accept it. Some world sport championships are decided by penalty kicks/shots. I hear you - I dislike Arbiting the tiebreaks, but practical considerations have won out. I recall an 80's candidates match decided by a roulette wheel.

No arguments about silly questions of the players. Hopefully broadcast coverage will also evolve.

Comment

this might be the best way to settle it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIfXFu63yts

Comment

hi hal,

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                              Hello David

According to the GMs here, the Q was not trapped. White's attack would simply flow quickly and easily. Boris analysed Qf4 but missed Qf2.
                              "trapped" was the gm comment i listened to in the broadcast. "trapped in the corner" is the annotation in the latest chessbase article. in any case, if one wishes to say that the queen is not trapped because it can be "sprung" by giving up fatal compensation, then fine - i'll agree with a wink.

such considerations though, are beside the point i was trying to make - that it's hard to conceive of kasparov landing in the same kind of situation.

thanks for your comments hal on my rants! diplomatic and informative!

best,

dave bowers

Comment

Re: Anand strikes back in game 8, match again tied!

Originally posted by Laurentiu Grigorescu View Post
                                What is happening with these guys? it seems like the Pressure takes its toll. If someone looks at the last two games, and the names and ELO are not given, one will guess not much for the loser!
                                What is happening is that people on the sidelines think for some reason that they understand what is going on. Peter Leko and Ian Nepomniatchi commenting during the game, both super GMs and one former wc candidate, two moves before the end thought that Black was doing fine. They had not seen 17.Qf2! With an engine by one's side things are easy...

Comment

Working...
                                X