Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World mind sports games

Special rules will be used

7.3 For Blitz Events, if a player displaces any piece(s) he must reset the piece(s) on his own time. If this is not done and he has already started his opponent’s clock, the opponent can make a claim and the game declared lost for the offending player.

7.3.1 An arbiter can also declare the loss for the offending player even without any claim from the opponent. In case that a game continues with displaced pieces, the game shall be declared lost for BOTH players who shall then both receive a zero score.

World mind sports games

Air travel is free for all national team. Hotel is free. It cost nothing to participate.

Comment

Re: World mind sports games

Nice! The rules finally stick up for the honourable players who would do this anyway!

Of course pieces flying around is part of blitz, but yeah, fix it on your own time and don't hit my clock!
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I'm still searching the official web site for confirmation of free hotel and airfare. I can't even find a registration screen! (there is a link to hotels with room rates - no mention of "free" anywhere - divide rates by 7 to convert to dollars). Note that all events are "rapid" or "blitz" events:

"In the 1st World Mind Sports Games, for Chess there are 10 events: Chess Individual Blitz (Women), Chess Individual Blitz (Men), Chess Individual Rapid (Women), Chess Individual Rapid Men, Chess Paris Blitz (Mixed), Chess Paris Rapid (Mixed), Chess Teams Blitz (Women), Chess Teams Blitz (Men), Chess Teams Rapid (Women) and Chess Teams Rapid (Men)."

http://www.2008wmsg.org/

But now when I checked the FIDE site there was some info.

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...d-sports-games

They are offering free flights - but via Air China only. Free accommodation is offered in apartments "near" the playing site. Entry is not free - 75 euros per person. Deadline is July 14.

Is there any interest in this (chess) event - from anywhere in the world? It's the first I've heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          ...Chess Paris Blitz (Mixed), Chess Paris Rapid (Mixed)..."
          I'm slow... I googled for "chess Paris rapid" with no results, and then I realised... it should be "chess PAIRS rapid"....

I guess I just disqualified myself for the Mind Sports.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            I'm slow... I googled for "chess Paris rapid" with no results, and then I realised... it should be "chess PAIRS rapid"....

I guess I just disqualified myself for the Mind Sports.
            As in bughouse? On the real?
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

The FIDE site says this:

Travel
              Tickets to Beijing will be provided. Please inform FIDE whether Air China operates a service to Beijing from your country or another country nearby. As flights from some points are not daily, you should take into account the arrival and departure dates of your participants. If no suitable Air China flight is available, please inform FIDE of the cheapest routing, airline and cost for your travel to Beijing. FIDE will inform you of the procedure for booking tickets shortly.

Hospitality
              Full board accommodation will be provided free for participants in twin bedded rooms in apartments very close to the playing venue, which is the Beijing International Convention Centre.

I (JC) think that it's worth checking out, if anyone is interested.

Comment

Re : World mind sports games

Good news... But there's not so many blitz tournamanents:(

Comment

If you read it carefully, you will see no mention of the word "free" in the travel paragraph :-)

Comment

In North America, Air China flies from Vancouver, San Francisco, LA, and New York. That's it.

http://ca.fly-airchina.com/en/manage...rnational.html

There are direct flights from Vancouver to Beijing.

With "tickets provided", it looks like the best ethical reason not to send a team might be, dare I mention the word?, Tibet. The best personal reason not to go might be that other word, Pollution. I'm not suggesting anything, just remembering that once, not that long ago, a player decided not to attend the Olympiad because of communicable diseases. There are always reasons to play, and not to play.

Comment

Working...
                    X