Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundraiser Rapid results

May 26 - 14 players, 5 rds swiss

1st: Nikolay Noritsyn 4 1/2 - 1/2 ($240)
    2nd: Leonid Gerzhoy 4 - 1 ($150)
    3rd: Yuri Aronov 3 1/2 - 1 1/2 ($60)
    =4th: Roman Sapozhnikov, Razvan Preotu 3 -2
    2 1/2 points: Artiom Samsonkin, Mikhael Song 2 1/2
    Not so good: Mikhael Barron, Vinny Puri, Brian Fiedler 2 points
    A Prize: John Chidley-Hill 2 points ($55)

$390 was won for the men's Olympiad fund the funds matching the winnings of Noritsyn and Gerzhoy.
    ZERO $ was won for the women's Olympiad as not a single woman showed up to play or even to watch!!

I tried to put together a complete x-table of the event for posting here but was not able to get it right even using Microsoft Office or Microsoft Office Word programs. Give me wood, hammer and nails and I can build a house - but computers defeat me every time! :(

Current rapid ratings

Bator Sambuev 2682
    Noritsyn Nikolay 2605
    Gerzhoy Leonid 2596
    Samsonkin Artiom 2551
    Sapozhnikov Roman 2470
    Plotkin Victor 2444
    Cummings David 2432
    Ochkoos Yuri 2431
    Tayar Jonathan 2420
    Martchenko Alex 2419
    Rek Slava 2410
    Aronov Yuri 2402
    Kleinman Michael 2400
    Gulko Andre 2398
    Zuniga Dante 2342
    Bailey Doug 2302
    Dougherty Mike 2289
    Barron Michael 2289
    Preotu Razvan 2282
    Plotkin Mark 2272
    Puri Vinny 2254
    Campbell Bret 2248
    Jung Hans 2247
    Murray Peter 2240
    Fiedler Brian 2236
    Song Michael 2230
    Yevhen Molchanov 2229
    Southam Dave 2170
    Ivanov Mike 2170
    Zeromskis Egis 2140
    Shebetah Wajdy 2139
    Miletic Dusan 2124
    Pedersen Rune 2118
    Brajkovic Nikola 2084
    Haziprodromu Sam 2080
    Malette Martin 2071
    Evans Bill 2050
    Dobrich Vlad 2000
    Zhang Yuan Chen 2000
    Stavropoulos Greg 1999
    Isaac Zelcer 1974
    Chernik Dmitry 1970
    Posaratnanathan Julian 1950
    Chidley-Hill John 1950
    Malmsten Eric 1930
    Robinson Dave 1916
    Zagar Milan 1911
    Gunapalan David 1904
    McNeil Hugh 1837
    Steadman Richard 1829
    Delacerna Jeff 1824
    Chen Richard 1808
    Bell Ian 1795
    Stein Jacob 1793
    France Kyle 1767
    Gomes Joe 1762
    McSherry Peter 1750
    O'Bumsawin Nick 1714
    Ali Shafkat 1705
    Belaiche Kyle 1689
    Matthews Dan 1678
    Mowers Dan 1676
    Goodman Shaul 1604
    Singer Ron 1600
    Heller Bob 1600
    Goodman Halli 1600

The 15 minute Rapid is played from 2pm every Saturday
    at the Legends Sports Lounge, 774 Danforth (2 blocks east of the Pape subway station).
    Entry fee is $30 - cash prizes for winners in rating
    groupings as well as the top two or three over all.
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Sunday, 27th May, 2012, 10:15 AM.

Re: Fundraiser Rapid results

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    $390 was won for the men's Olympiad fund the funds matching the winnings of Noritsyn and Gerzhoy.
    Thanks for running the fundraiser. Also, impressively strong event: few weekend events can boast such a strong field.

Comment

I must extend thanks to Brian Fiedler who provided the apetizer buffet - an excellent assortment created by the Legends kitchen.
      And special thanks to the donor who wishes to remain anonymous who donated $175 added to the prize fund and then funded the entire Olympiad contribution of $390.
      The event could have been bigger and stronger had I known to avoid the conflict with the Chicago Open where several of our regulars are taking part - Victor and Mark Plotkin, Mike Dougherty, Yuan ChenZhang to name a few. BTW Mark Plotkin is tied for the lead with 3 -0 in the under 2100 section - GO Mark!
      The biggest disappointment was the lack of participation of lady players. Over the past two years, I have tried to encourage the girls to play - going so far as to offer them free entry to the Rapid. Do they want to be paid to play? There will be a ladies prize if we should ever get three women entries. What would get them to come out?

Girls, please post your comments here to let me know what is needed.
      Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Sunday, 27th May, 2012, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I must extend thanks to Brian Fiedler who provided the apetizer buffet - an excellent assortment created by the Legends kitchen.
        And special thanks to the donor who wishes to remain anonymous who donated $175 added to the prize fund and then funded the entire Olympiad contribution of $390.
        The event could have been bigger and stronger had I known to avoid the conflict with the Chicago Open where several of our regulars are taking part - Victor and Mark Plotkin, Mike Dougherty, Yuan ChenZhang to name a few. BTW Mark Plotkin is tied for the lead with 3 -0 in the under 2100 section - GO Mark!
        The biggest disappointment was the lack of participation of lady players. Over the past two years, I have tried to encourage the girls to play - going so far as to offer them free entry to the Rapid. Do they want to be paid to play? There will be a ladies prize if we should ever get three women entries. What would get them to come out.

Girls, please post your comments here to let me know what is needed.
        Perhaps I can use my perfectly sculpted serratus.

Comment

Aman!
          Stop drooling over the high ratings and get your glutimus to the tournament next Saturday and show us what you can do.

Comment

ZERO $ was won for the women's Olympiad as not a single woman showed up to play or even to watch!!
            Unacceptable. They should pay for their own flight and all.

Norm

Comment

Aman! get your glutimus to the tournament next Saturday and show us what you can do.

Comment

1st: Nikolay Noritsyn 4 1/2 - 1/2 ($240)
                2nd: Leonid Gerzhoy 4 - 1 ($150)
                3rd: Yuri Aronov 3 1/2 - 1 1/2 ($60)
                =4th: Roman Sapozhnikov, Razvan Preotu 3 -2
                2 1/2 points: Artiom Samsonkin, Mikhael Song 2 1/2
                Not so good: Mikhael Barron, Vinny Puri, Brian Fiedler 2 points
                A Prize: John Chidley-Hill 2 points ($55)

I tried to put together a complete x-table of the event for posting here but was not able to get it right even using Microsoft Office or Microsoft Office Word programs. Give me wood, hammer and nails and I can build a house - but computers defeat me every time! :(
                To be honest to me 14 players (male) does not seem like an overwhelming
                turnout either. What percentage of players is that of the GTA?

If you gave some money to the women's team I sure they could whip
                up a X-table for you in a few minutes. Probably child's play for them
                because I'm pretty sure they're a very capable group.
                (no offence intended probably).

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Price View Post
                  To be honest to me 14 players (male) does not seem like an overwhelming
                  turnout either. What percentage of players is that of the GTA?

If you gave some money to the women's team I sure they could whip
                  up a X-table for you in a few minutes. Probably child's play for them
                  because I'm pretty sure they're a very capable group.
                  (no offence intended probably).
                  All it takes is one post which makes no sense as to the main point of a thread to kill the thread dead.
                  The Saturday Rapid is not trying to be a percentage of players in the GTA. It's focus is to bring the strongest players together for an enjoyable afternoon of high quality chess.
                  Your comment about giving money to the women's team in order to have them produce a x-table of the event is both fatuous and idiotic. We are trying to get the women's team to come and play and win money for their trip to the Istanbul Olympiad this fall. Fatuous and idiotic comments deter others from posting on ChessTalk.
                  I was trying to get the girls to engage in a dialog on what would draw them to play in the Saturday tournament ..... but it looks like your post has killed the interest. Too bad.
                  Vlad D

Comment

It's focus is to bring the strongest players together for an enjoyable afternoon of high quality chess.
                    I agree with you Vlad. I am happy someone is organizing them. Keep up the good work.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                      Unacceptable. They should pay for their own flight and all.

Norm
                      Just for not attending the "Fundraiser" Rapid?
                      Surely Vlad isn't going to agree... is he?
                      No trolling intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Price View Post
                        Just for not attending the "Fundraiser" Rapid?
                        Surely Vlad isn't going to agree... is he?
                        No trolling intended.
                        If someone wants FREE airfare and FREE accommodations they must at least DO SOMETHING to help their cause. Something as small as stopping by Vlad's Rapid tournament is the least someone can do...

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                          If someone wants FREE airfare and FREE accommodations they must at least DO SOMETHING to help their cause. Something as small as stopping by Vlad's Rapid tournament is the least someone can do...

Norm
                          A sports bar may not be the ideal venue for younger women (or anyone)
                          to go to play "serious" chess. They tend to be seedy and draw a
                          similar cllientele.

Comment

Working...
                          X