Claiming Draw/Not recording moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming Draw/Not recording moves

Played in a tournament this weekend. Question? My opponent has 30 seconds plus 3 second increment. I have just less than 5 minutes plus increment so neither of us is recording moves. I chase his King around board for about 15 moves, its apparent he can't do anything, he can't afford to exchange queens nor does he have a chance to and otherwise its a knight endgame where I have a pawn advantage. I offer a draw and he hesistates because of the rating difference but then accepts. My question is if he didn't accept how do I claim a draw by repetition or do we just go on repeating checks until he runs out of time? Which seems kind of a silly way for me to win. And a silly way to play chess.

Re: Claiming Draw/Not recording moves

With Increment, he won't run out of time. Call the TD who can observe the game. If no demonstration is made of attempting to win, the TD can approve the draw request. At least on the basis of a 50 move rule if nothing else.

Comment

Re: Claiming Draw/Not recording moves

from the laws of chess in the FIDE handbook:

Quickplay Finish [i.e. time trouble]

If the player, having the move, has less than two minutes left on his clock, he may claim a draw before his flag falls. He shall summon the arbiter and may stop the clocks. (See Article 6.12.b)

a.
      If the arbiter agrees the opponent is making no effort to win the game by normal means, or that it is not possible to win by normal means, then he shall declare the game drawn. Otherwise he shall postpone his decision or reject the claim.

b.
      If the arbiter postpones his decision, the opponent may be awarded two extra minutes and the game shall continue, if possible in the presence of an arbiter. The arbiter shall declare the final result later in the game or as soon as possible after a flag has fallen. He shall declare the game drawn if he agrees that the final position cannot be won by normal means, or that the opponent was not making sufficient attempts to win by normal means.

c.
      If the arbiter has rejected the claim, the opponent shall be awarded two extra minutes time.

d.
      The decision of the arbiter shall be final relating to (a), (b) and (c).
      Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Monday, 28th May, 2012, 06:03 PM. Reason: sp typo

Comment

Working...
      X