CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Chess Reform Generally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Chess Reform Generally.

Ken: Casual players are like you suggest. The idea is that if we lower the barrier to participation, and then make an effort to draw them in, we will (a) have them as casual members, and (b) some may become serious.

Paul Bonham: A points system is a fine idea, but yours is far too complicated. Think more like video game scoring. A kill is points. A big kill is more points. But don't have 4 pages of details.

Zeljko: "Making them feel like part of a Canadian chess community". I'm not sure either. Appeal to their civic pride? Have more city vs. city events? Highlight the clubs each of the big players and upcoming stars belong to?
    Last edited by Alan Baljeu; Friday, 8th June, 2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Re: CCC Discusses Chess – Posts of Interest – Chess Reform Generally.

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
      Paul Bonham: A points system is a fine idea, but yours is far too complicated. Think more like video game scoring. A kill is points. A big kill is more points. But don't have 4 pages of details.
      Alan, I'm glad you agree that a simple points system is a fine idea. My proposal isn't complicated at all, but yes, it takes 4 pages to explain and part of the explanation is to explain the WHY behind it.

In order for a player to calculate his/her new rating using my system, there are only 3 lookups the player must do (knowing both his/her own current rating and the opponent's current rating). On all of those 3 lookups, the only math operations that need done are addition or subtraction.

Once you read and understand the details, you only need to keep the lookup tables on a small sheet of paper and simply do 3 additions or subtractions. Totally simple. :)

When you've done it enough times, you won't even need the lookup tables. You'll remember the values.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
      X