Some interesting finds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some interesting finds...

At Startegy Games we just received 13 boxes of used chess books. Amongst the collection, I came across a book I had never seen: How to Win End-Games by D.A. Yanofsky, British Chess Champion 1953.

We also received a copy of "Adventures of a chess master by George Koltanowski International Wizard of Blindfold Chess"...autographed by Koltanowski.

Another interesting find was a copy of The Middle Game in Chess by Reuben Fine with the inscription written in ink inside: "To Peter Avery, Congratulations on a very fine score in the 1st Casa Loma Open Championship 1959...Frank Anderson, Tournament Director."

Hmmm...does anyone still give chess books as prizes in tournaments anymore?

Larry

Re: Some interesting finds...

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    At Startegy Games we just received 13 boxes of used chess books. Amongst the collection, I came across a book I had never seen: How to Win End-Games by D.A. Yanofsky, British Chess Champion 1953.

We also received a copy of "Adventures of a chess master by George Koltanowski International Wizard of Blindfold Chess"...autographed by Koltanowski.

Another interesting find was a copy of The Middle Game in Chess by Reuben Fine with the inscription written in ink inside: "To Peter Avery, Congratulations on a very fine score in the 1st Casa Loma Open Championship 1959...Frank Anderson, Tournament Director."

Larry
    I remember Peter Avery well. He was a gentleman and a very strong player - even into his 70s and 80s (when I knew him). I recall on several occasions seeing him with a number of interlinked elastic bands connecting his thumb to his belt... when I asked him about that, he quipped that he found it helped him to avoid blunders - as he was about to move a piece, the elastics would tug on his hand to remind him to check 'one more time' ... Above all he was a gentleman and a classy player - always modest and always gracious in defeat or victory.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Back in the 1960s, the RA Chess Club gave book prizes. I still have a few in my library. They were much appreciated at the time when chess books were few and far between in Ottawa. We recently re-instituted the practice for some, non-trophy events and it has been well received.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        We did at Willowdale CCC, at the Toronto JCC & WCC, and we will do at the Team CC on next Monday.

Did Chess-Math stop doing raffles at the end of tournament? My kid took a chess book :)

Comment

We regularly award chess books as prizes at out Victoria Chess Club fundraisers. The old ones with non-algebraic notation are a bit hard to move.
          I played Peter Avery a couple of times back in the 70's and found him to be a very pleasant gentleman.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
          X