Round 3 pairings are up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Round 3 pairings are up

Hmm. Maybe Dresden blacklisted your office's ISP, but not your home's.

Comment

Eric,

India, ranked 11th, was rated an average of over 100 points lower than the Russians. Yeah, I agree that the Norway victory was also a great upset, especially as it was achieved on a day when Magnus didn't win. Still,there is a certain cachet to beating the #1 ranked team on board #1.

India has been coached and travelling around to tournaments for some years now. I don't remember them pulling off a victory of this magnitude even with Humpy.

However, bottom line is that Mohota let the position slide (at one point she was about a dozen moves short of a 50-move-rule draw) with passive play. I thought she even had winning chances earlier. I wonder what happens after Kd1 Qc4, offering a Q trade? Anyway, Mohota lost, so the India-Russia match was drawn 2-2, and Norway's victory over China is the upset of the Olympiad so far!

Comment

Georgia over Ukraine in the Open was a pretty good upset too. A 100-point per board difference. Who'd have thunk that after losing to Finland in the first round, Georgia would have 3-0? It turned out that the apparent loss to Finland was due to one mis-entered game result.

My Qc4 suggestion doesn't really work because of Qb2. Still, there were chances for Mohota.

Among the Open matches between teams with a perfect score, there were four competitive matches (on tables 1, 3, 4, and 5), of which the underdogs won two and drew a third match! Of the remaining perfect score matches, which were mismatches by rating (200+ per board rating diff), the stronger team won every match.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
          China lost to Norway in mens so that's probably the biggest upset considering how well they were doing coming into the event.
          Norway is leading the current correspondence Olympiad final and with it almost finished will almost certainly win the event. They are ahead of teams such as Russia, Germany, the U.S. and many more. The general playing strength of their players, with Carlsen on board 1, should be well known.

Norway won one game and drew the other three to seal the deal.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Congrats to the Canadians on excellent performances so far.
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Yes. Possibly there is a top 20 finish in our future.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                Georgia over Ukraine in the Open was a pretty good upset too. A 100-point per board difference. Who'd have thunk that after losing to Finland in the first round, Georgia would have 3-0? It turned out that the apparent loss to Finland was due to one mis-entered game result.
                Amusingly, the apparent Georgia victory over Ukraine was due to another mis-entered game result! Ukraine won the match, and plays Armenia in Round 4, on Table 1.

Comment

Working...
                X