Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Round Pairings for Amateur Tournament

Hi Everyone,

Seems like Matthew has to take a full-point bye as everyone else below him in rating already has one? Positive for final results, but certainly dissapointing since this player travelled from Sudbury to play and certainly not to watch others play.

Mavros

Comment

Re: 7th Annual Kitchener Chess Festival August 3-6

Anyone know how Lee and Aris did in their Rd 7 game? :)
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
        Anyone know how Lee and Aris did in their Rd 7 game? :)
        Marghetis-Hendon was 1-0

Reply if you would like the game score. We both found the game rather fun to play.

Hal, have you made it home yet?

Comment

Game score would be cool, post or PM it whichever you prefer. Thanks!
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

round 7 : Marghetis-Hendon

Game score would be cool, post or PM it whichever you prefer. Thanks!
            As I'm not sleepy yet, here's that game score, with some of my comments. I have not run this game through any engine, so I hope I have all moves recorded correctly. In addition, even without being Fritzed, I know I am just an average player, so if some of these moves seem inferior to stronger players, it is because they probably are, lol! ;)

Marghetis (1970) - Hendon (1786)

I don't recall ever playing Lee before, so it was fun to meet a totally new opponent!

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 d6 3. g3 Nf6 (Closed Sicilian)
            Black more often than not gets his kingside knight to e7, but f6 is also quite common.
            4. Bg2 Nc6 5. f4
            I don't think this was a good idea, given the knight on f6 vs. e7. If I remember right, this was my first long tournament in over a decade, and I was getting tired today! :(
            5. ... Bg4 6. Bf3 Qc8 7. Bxg4 Qxg4 8. Qxg4 Nxg4
            I forgot to ask Lee if he was already thinking last-round draw, but I was already thinking dinner, and floated through these mass exchanges. At this point though, I saw all kinds of problems defending my c2, and in turn f2, squares, from Lee's knights.
            9. h3 Nf6 10. d3 g6 11. Be3 Bg7 12. O-O-O O-O-O 13. Nf3 h6 (to deny pesky Ng5)
            14. e5
            This is a risky pawn offer, which does not work as well without the white-squared bishop on g2. However, it seemed like an exciting idea to try in the last round! :)
            14. ... Nd7 15. exd6 exd6 16. Nb5 Nb6 17. c3 Rhe8 18. Rhe1 a6
            Now, White has a shot that seems to win 2 pawns. Interestingly, it works in part due to the effect on Black's pawn structure from the speculative 14. e5 pawn pseudo-sac.
            19. Nxd6 Rxd6 20. Bxc5 Rxe1 21. Nxe1 Re6 22. Bxb6 Re2
            When I was calculating this combination, I had looked ahead as far as this, but now, I had tremendous trouble figuring out how to get this Black rook out of my camp, while not permitting the Black knight from snaking his way in, i.e. c6-e7-d5-f4-d3 ouch! :(
            23. Nf3 Rg2 24. Rg1 Re2 25. g4?
            We both thought this move was not best. I think Lee's suggested d4 & Ne5 is better?!
            25. ... Ne7 26. Bd4 Bxd4 27. Nxd4 Re3 28. h4 Rxd3
            I deliberately gave up this pawn, vs. h3, for a few reasons. I figured this still retained a pawn advantage on the queenside, without giving up a pawn disadvantage on the kingside, I felt I had the initiative on the remote kingside that was about to open up, my knight on d4 stops Black from using f3 to get behind my f-pawn, which will roll in the next few moves, and finally, weirdly, his rook on e3 is better for me than his knight, lol!
            29. h5 Nd5 30. hxg6 fxg6 31. Kc2
            I wanted to create some escape for my king before my rook went soaring downfield.
            31. ... Nxf4 32. Rf1 g5 33. Rxf4 Resigns

Thanks to Lee for a fun game, and a good post-mortem! If typos, please let me know.
            Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Tuesday, 7th August, 2012, 12:00 AM. Reason: fixed move typo

Comment

Re: round 7 : Marghetis-Hendon

24. .. Re7 should probably be Re2. Otherwise no typos that I saw.

Definitely a classic Lee game though! hehe

I do agree with giving up the d-pawn though vs the h-pawn in that situation.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: round 7 : Marghetis-Hendon

24. .. Re7 should probably be Re2. Otherwise no typos that I saw.

Definitely a classic Lee game though! hehe

I do agree with giving up the d-pawn though vs the h-pawn in that situation.
                Thanks, fixed the typo. Don't know Lee's style, but he was a very classy/fun opponent.

Comment

Nice article in the local newspaper about the tournament.

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/...he-right-moves

They even got almost everything correct, although the 3rd paragraph from the end doesn't really make sense :)
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Nice article in the local newspaper about the tournament.

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/...he-right-moves
                    In the back you could see Aris too :D

Comment

Thanks Hal, Patrick and Kitchener team

The tournament is a good success, we all saw Patrick, Hal and their team working so hard, taking lots of efforts during the three days Kitchener Festival event.

Chess players enjoyed the "board on fire" in their matches, social activity after games and lunch hot dogs as well. Blitz night has more than fun, the kids came back to hotel and still playing the blitz game till midnight...

On the highway back to Toronto, all kids agree to rate 5 over 5 to the tournament. Obviously we all appreciate Kitchener team to offer chess players such good event.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X