FIDE/Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE/Syria

What the heck is FIDE doing signing an agreement with Syria at this time? Chess in schools? Kids in Syria are just lucky if they are not killed in the streets. This is very bad timing. Hopefully the Syrian regime will not be around for much longer. www.fide.com

Re: FIDE/Syria

This is becoming a pattern. Every evil dictator about to be overthrown gets a visit from FIDE. Either the FIDE President is an aspiring diplomat attempting to bring last-minute resolution to local conflicts, or he's negotiating secret deals to launder money out of the country for the desperate dictator (and Kirsan would pocket a percentage). Either way, Kirsan is able to use his status as former head of state of Elbonia to get inside.
    Last edited by Alan Baljeu; Wednesday, 20th June, 2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
      This is becoming a pattern. Every evil dictator about to be overthrown gets a visit from FIDE. Either the FIDE President is an aspiring diplomat attempting to bring last-minute resolution to local conflicts, or he's negotiating secret deals to launder money out of the country for the desperate dictator (and Kirsan would pocket a percentage). Either way, Kirsan is able to use his status as former head of state of Elbonia to get inside.
      Elbonia... lol

The best part is IllusionOf's track record: pretty much all the dictators he has visited have come to a tragic end - we can only hope he continues on the streak, the sooner the better in the case of Syria.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        ... The best part is IllusionOf's track record: pretty much all the dictators he has visited have come to a tragic end ...
        I wish he'd drop in on Harper. B->{l}
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          At the same time some people are pushing for more FIDE rated events in Canada and thus for more money to be send to Kirsan's FIDE. As if FIDE ratings down to 1200 mean anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            I wish he'd drop in on Harper. B->{l}
            :D
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
              :D
              Isn't he your boss? ;);):)

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Isn't he your boss? ;);):)
                I guess he's equivalent to the company President or CEO... but there's no open-door policy in the federal government like I had with some employers, so I can't just walk into his office and have a friendly chat or discuss my vision.

When I worked for ManuLife, I could make an appointment to speak to the then-President Dominic D'alessandro without having to go through my immediate superior. He would even sit with just about anyone at lunch time and help boost morale wherever he could.
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

I guess he's equivalent to the company President or CEO... but there's no open-door policy in the federal government like I had with some employers, so I can't just walk into his office and have a friendly chat or discuss my vision.

When I worked for ManuLife, I could make an appointment to speak to the then-President Dominic D'alessandro without having to go through my immediate superior. He would even sit with just about anyone at lunch time and help boost morale wherever he could.
                  Yeah, and I think that Manulife is doing better than Canada... wonder why.
                  I was joking of course, but your observations are quire insightful. And not surprising. Back in the early 70's I worked on a contract at Department of Suppy & Services in Ottawa and one day there was supposed to be a walk-about by the "minister" (boy, the visions of the BBC comedy Yes, Minister are strong right now). The few contractors were cautioned not to mention anything at all that could be considered "opinion" - the staff weren't really supposed to have opinions... haha There were some very smart people working there, but they generally got frustrated and either sat on their pensions or bailed early on the gubberment job.

Comment

Hmmm - Manulife vs Canada - Manulife has lost about 75% of its value on the TSE over the last few years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=M...rce=undefined;

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Hmmm - Manulife vs Canada - Manulife has lost about 75% of its value on the TSE over the last few years.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=M...rce=undefined;
                      Maybe that's why D'Alessandro left for Suncor in 2009 ;)

Comment

I wish the CEO would sit with me to improve my shareholder morale.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                          I wish the CEO would sit with me to improve my shareholder morale.
                          Gary,

Did you invest in ManuLife, or did you reinvest a demutualization cheque?

Jordan

Comment

Gary,

Did you invest in ManuLife, or did you reinvest a demutualization cheque?

Jordan
                            These kind of questions don't do anything for my shareholder morale. :) I'm down a few dollars a share, if that's what you're asking. Not enough to be worried about.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              These kind of questions don't do anything for my shareholder morale. :) I'm down a few dollars a share, if that's what you're asking. Not enough to be worried about.
                              Ok :D

The soundest investing advice I can share you was what I learned from NM Frank L. Teuton III: Buy sheep, sell deer...

Comment

Working...
                              X