Canadian Open Victoria July 8-13 Registration rate goes up $20 after June 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open Victoria July 8-13 Registration rate goes up $20 after June 29

Is "Yearwood, Imlach Roy" the same player as
    "Yearwood, Roy" and/or "Yearwood, Imlach"? Both names exist in CanBase.

If so - what name(s) does he commonly use? (the CFC rating list shows "Roy").

Comment

Re: Canadian Open Victoria July 8-13 - - Imlach Roy Yearwood

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Yes -- he is the same person!

The games in the chessbase of Imlach Roy Yearwood should be combined with Imlach Yearwood and with Roy Yearwood. All-in-one!

He is also called "PUNCH" (nickname of the Toronto Maple Leafs Coach Punch Imlach in the 1960's).

Bill Evans still calls him Punch. I call him Imlach (and that is the name he used to register on the form he filled out).

Thanks for the clarification opportunity! :)

Last edited by Mark S. Dutton; Tuesday, 10th July, 2012, 03:22 PM. Reason: Add Picture to post "Imlach Roy Yearwood"

Comment

Re: Canadian Open Victoria July 8-13 "Yearwood, Imlach Roy"

[Event "2012 Canadian Open Chess Championship"]
        [Site "Victoria"]
        [Date "2012.07.09"]
        [Round "4"]
        [White "Yearwood, Imlach Roy"]
        [Black "Herdin, Mathew"]
        [Result "1-0"]
        [WhiteELO "2106"]
        [WhiteTitle ""]
        [BlackELO "1923"]
        [BlackTitle ""]
        [Source "MonRoi"]

1.b4 Nf6 2.Bb2 g6 3.Nf3 Bg7 4.d4 d6 5.c4 Nbd7 6.Nbd2 O-O 7.e4 e5 8.d5 a5 9.a3 b6 10.Be2 h6 11.O-O Nh7 12.Ne1 f5 13.Nd3 Ndf6 14.f3 f4 15.c5 Ba6 16.Rc1 Nd7 17.cxd6 cxd6 18.Rc6 Nb8 19.Rc3 Nd7 20.Nf2 b5 21.bxa5 Nc5 22.Nb3 Nxb3 23.Qxb3 b4 24.Rc2 Bxe2 25.Rxe2 bxa3 26.Bc3 Qc7 27.Qxa3 Rfc8 28.Bb4 Bf8 29.Nd3 Nf6 30.Rc1 Qa7 31.Kf1 Qd4 32.Rec2 Rxc2 33.Rxc2 g5 34.Qc3 Qe3 35.Nb2 Qa7 36.Na4 g4 37.Nb6 Rb8 38.Qc7 Rb7 39.Qc8 Qa6 40.Qc4 Qa7 41.Qb5 Nd7 42.Rc6 Nb8 43.Rc8 Rc7 44.Bxd6 Rxc8 45.Nxc8 Qe3 46.Qc4 gxf3 47.gxf3 Qxf3 48.Ke1 Qe3 49.Kd1 f3 50.Ne7 Kf7 51.Nf5 Qg1 52.Kc2 f2 53.Qc7 Kg6 1-0

Of course he is smiling and happy after this game!
        Last edited by Mark S. Dutton; Tuesday, 10th July, 2012, 04:01 PM. Reason: another great pic of "Punch" (aka Imlach Roy Yearwood)

Comment

Re: Canadian Open Victoria July 8-13 The EXCITEMENT CONTINUES!

Originally posted by Brian Raymer View Post
          Don't miss the 49th Canadian Open in Victoria BC. It could be another 49 years before the next CO in Victoria.
          Great location Great hotel Great Event See you in July http://monroi.com/2012-cocc-home.html

Registration rates go up after June 29. For details on registration click here http://monroi.com/2012-cocc-home.html

115 players now signed up. Click Here to see who else is playing. http://monroi.com/2012-cocc-preregistered-list.html

Click "Like" on our Facebook page and help promote this great event. http://www.facebook.com/pages/2012-C...55942357759371

Lots of great side events including a Welcome Barbecue, Whale Watching tour, Blitz, Learn how to Stand Up Paddleboard, Banquet and of course Bughouse. http://monroi.com/2012-cocc-home.html for details.

Hope to see you in July in Victoria. Sunshine Guaranteed. Everyone else will be here. Why not you?
          The EXCITEMENT CONTINUES

First quick update from Round 7 tonight -- FM Richard Wang, the 13-year old Alberta Closed Champion continues his hot pace with a GM draw with GM John Federowicz of New York. This gives Richard a score of 5.5 after 7 - chasing the IM Norm!

Meanwhile -- do you know who is here now giving analysis and playing skittles games? GM Hikaru Nakamura (US Champion) and no. 7 ranked on the world FIDE list..... Here he was showing CCN Editor (and Canadian Olympiad team member IM Edward Porper a few tricks)! I suggested to Hikaru that he could enter the event with 7 byes and help us out!

Comment

BLITZ and more great chess events!

Wednesday July 11

Chess Federation of Canada Annual General Meeting CANCELLED (now done online)
            12:00noon - 1:30pm Lecture IM Eric Hansen Cost $10 Adults $5 Children
            11:00pm Midnight Blitz. 5 double round Swiss.
            $10 EF, 100% EF returned in prizes.
            (1st 50%,2nd 10%, U2200 10%, U2000 10%, U1800 10%, U1600 10%)
            Registration onsite.

Thursday July 12

Chess Federation of Canada Annual General Meeting CANCELLED (now done online)
            10:00am - 12:00 noon Standup Paddleboard Lessons at Willows Beach. Register with Epic Surf Co. 250 380 7555
            1:00pm -4:00pm GM Nakamura Lecture/Simul Register online http://nakamurasimul2012.eventbrite.com/ tickets available first come first served
            9:00pm Pub Night (Bard and Banker Scottish Brew Pub - Government St and Fort St)

Friday July 13

3:00pm-4:45pm Canadian Open Bughouse Championships Register on site 2:30pm
            4:30pm-6:00pm Cocktail hour
            5:15pm-5:45pm Awards Ceremony
            7:00pm Banquet

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
            The EXCITEMENT CONTINUES

First quick update from Round 7 tonight -- FM Richard Wang, the 13-year old Alberta Closed Champion continues his hot pace with a GM draw with GM John Federowicz of New York. This gives Richard a score of 5.5 after 7 - chasing the IM Norm!

Meanwhile -- do you know who is here now giving analysis and playing skittles games? GM Hikaru Nakamura (US Champion) and no. 7 ranked on the world FIDE list..... Here he was showing CCN Editor (and Canadian Olympiad team member IM Edward Porper a few tricks)! I suggested to Hikaru that he could enter the event with 7 byes and help us out!

Comment

Re: Canadian Open Victoria July 8-13 Registration rate goes up $20 after June 29

Mark wrote:

MORE GAMES - round by round -- ATTACHED
              Attached Files
              File Type: pgn 2012 Canadian Open Chess Championship_Round_1.pgn (17.9 KB, 5 views)
              File Type: pgn 2012 Canadian Open Chess Championship_Round_2.pgn (18.0 KB, 3 views)
              File Type: pgn 2012 Canadian Open Chess Championship_Round_3.pgn (16.6 KB, 4 views)
              Can you post links to games from the other rounds (so I don't have to get them one by one from the Monroi site)? Thanks.

Comment

Why do the players use MonRoi when they are playing on a DGT board - aren't they both ways of transmitting the moves online?

Oh and who won the blitz!?

Comment

Re: Canadian Open Victoria July 8-13 - FIRST 7 ROUNDS of PGN files!

Can you post links to games from the other rounds (so I don't have to get them one by one from the Monroi site)? Thanks.
                  Hi Hugh:

I thought I had already emailed you the first 6 or 7 rounds! Please send me an email to confirm your email address and I will send you everything.

If that is not working... please see the attached files!

Thanks for your great work on keeping up the Games Database! :)

Round 8 continues tonight LIVE at this link at 6:00 PM Pacific :)

http://monroi.com/watch/?tnm_id=1623
                  Attached Files

Comment

Mark wrote:

hugh, I've found a few mistakes (or at least differences from the scoresheets) in some of the games. I'll be posting them all eventually (I'm up to round 2 so far.....).

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
                      Why do the players use MonRoi when they are playing on a DGT board - aren't they both ways of transmitting the moves online?

the dgt boards & display are being used as demo boards inside the tournament hall (in case one or more of the top boards does not use a MonRoi).

Comment

Yes -- they are both ways of transmitting the moves - but they are both not acceptable ways of recordings the moves. A players still is required to use a scoresheet or the more efficient method of recording moves -- the Monroi device!

Thanks for the chance to "sell you one". Here is the product information!:)

The World's Only USCF, FIDE and ECU Certified Electronic Chess Notation Device!

No more lost or illegible paper score sheets. MonRoi provides pure enjoyment of the game to chess players- without the headaches.

Enter moves on a sleek, portable device.
                        Store PGN files electronically in PGN for easy analysis.
                        Get a paper copy of your scoresheet, indicating time.
                        Replay chess games on the device.
                        Upload games to a computer and e-mail them to your coach.
                        Receive pairing information about the next round.
                        Broadcast games live on the Internet and get your piece of fame

Personal Chess Manager uses pictorial symbol or algebraic recording, allowing a user to record chess games, to review chess games instantly, and to upload and download chess games from a computer. Simply plug in the MonRoi SD memory card to transfer your games to a computer for further analysis. MonRoi’s PCM is:

Portable
                        Wireless
                        Accurate
                        Easy to Use
                        FIDE Certified
                        Patented
                        Fully secure
                        Tamper-free

http://monroi.com/chess-shop.html?pa...&category_id=1

Stay tuned later for a full BLITZ report -- there were about 44 players playing from midnight to 2 AM or so! They are mostly passed out at the moment -- so check back later! Thanks for following the 49th Canadian Open Chess Championship. In the meantime have a look at the PHOTO Galleries and VIDEOS posted at this link here:

http://monroi.com/2012-cocc-home.html :D

VIDEO 1 - http://youtu.be/k5wLpNGjYxs

VIDEO 2 - http://youtu.be/WB8lWjo5_Qo

Comment

Alberta tops the Crosstable!

Eric Hansen leads the tournment with 6/7, while Richard Wang is a half point back wth the GMs. Richard needs one more point in 2 games and one more titled player for an IM norm if I read the crosstable correctly.

Go Wild Rose!

Comment

The 42 player 5-double round Midnight Blitz was held early Thursday morning from midnight until about 2 am.

The event was won by 2 IM's - Steven Zierk (USA) and Arthur Calugar (Toronto, Ontario) who both scored 8.5 - 1.5 (out of 10 games)

1st Under 2000 was Mark Plotkin

1st Under 1800 was Farley Cannon

1st Under 1600 was Jamie Campbell

In the SIMULTANEOUS EXHIBITION by GrandMaster Hikaru Nakamura, the 24 players managed to comed up with 1 draw and 23 losses to the 7th ranked in the world GM! Congratulations to Andrew M. Smith on scoring a draw with the GM! :) Andrew M. Smith from Cheyenne Wyoming obtains the only draw with American Chess Grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura in simultaneous exhibition at the 2012 Canadian Chess Open. GM Nakamura is the current US Champion and is currently rated 7th in the world. Andrew was the Wyoming Chess Champion and national G60 winner during his last year of high school.

Since we still can't seem to get Monroi to "fix" the US Flag for IM Eric Hansen, we at least had our newest GM (from the trade that Vlad Dobrich mentioned) wear the team Canada shirt!

Last edited by Mark S. Dutton; Thursday, 12th July, 2012, 10:53 PM. Reason: added additional Andrew M. Smith details

Comment

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
                              Yes -- they are both ways of transmitting the moves - but they are both not acceptable ways of recordings the moves. A players still is required to use a scoresheet or the more efficient method of recording moves -- the Monroi device!
                              My point being why isn't the DGT broadcast being used to have the moves online. I've never seen a DGT broadcast go wrong, whereas MonRoi frequently glitches or someone enters an incorrect move and messes up the notation. MonRoi could then just be used as a substitute to a scoresheet if a player wished, but I think using the DGT for the broadcast seems more reliable.

Comment

My point being why isn't the DGT broadcast being used to have the moves online. I've never seen a DGT broadcast go wrong, whereas MonRoi frequently glitches or someone enters an incorrect move and messes up the notation. MonRoi could then just be used as a substitute to a scoresheet if a player wished, but I think using the DGT for the broadcast seems more reliable.
                                Thanks for the Feedback -- in my experience I have found the DGT boards to ber very sensitive and prone to screw-ups!
                                The Monroi "errors" are due to Operator error (GIGO: Garbage In = Garbage Out).

Anyway -- I hope you are watching this right now....

http://monroi.com/watch/?tnm_id=1623

Board 1 - with the 49th Canadian Open "Championship Title" on the line!

Comment

Working...
                                X