CFC Active Ratings Boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Active Ratings Boost?

Has there been a recent rating boost in CFC active ratings? All of a sudden, people whose active ratings were below their regular ratings had their active ratings adjusted to match their regular ratings.

Is this a glitch on the chess.ca site, or is there something I'm missing?

Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Re: CFC Active Ratings Boost?

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
    Has there been a recent rating boost in CFC active ratings? All of a sudden, people whose active ratings were below their regular ratings had their active ratings adjusted to match their regular ratings.

Is this a glitch on the chess.ca site, or is there something I'm missing?

Jordan
    FYI: (http://www.chess.ca/sites/default/fi...012_GL%233.pdf )
    Motion 2012-P – CFC Quick Chess Rating System

That CFC combine the current “ Active “ and “ Blitz “ Rating Systems, and
    expand them into one system called a “ Quick Chess “ Rating System, on the following terms:

2. Prior to establishing the new “ Quick “ rating, all “ Active “ ratings that are more than 100 points below the “ regular “ rating will be revised to CFC regular - 100. The CFC “ quick “ rating will be the maximum of the CFC Rating (if any games played since 2006/01/01) and the CFC “ active “ (if any games played since 2006/01/01).

Comment

So in short: if active ratings were lower than regular ratings the player would get his regular rating as his new quick rating. example: my old active rating was barely over 2200. My new quick rating is the same as regular: 2298 (minus my last result after adjustment for those who care to look it up).
      Hope this helps.

Comment

New CFC " Quick Chess " Rating System

More tournaments are starting to come in now to be rated under the new CFC " Quick Chess " rating system. It allows any game from Game 5 ( also Game 3/5 sec. increment ) to Game/59 to be rated under the one system. Recently, Kitchener, Ont. held a " Quick Chess " team tournament ( June 16 ). The recently held GTCL Cup, Toronto, Ont. ( June 25 ) will be rated Quick Chess ( as far as I know ). PEI held the first ever in the world Quick Chess weekend tournament back in the Spring. The flexible time control parameters allow organizers to pick a time that will suit their needs ( time they have the hall; no. of rounds they want , etc. ). CFC is hopeful that this new rating system will prove much superior to the old limited " active " system, will keep more current, and will in time become a valued rating, just like the regular rating.

Bob, CFC Public Relations Coordinator

Comment

Yes, Hans has it right. We did this because many people's Active ratings were moribund and we wanted to bring them into line with their actual playing strength.
          It was also intended to encourage junior events with 30 minute time controls to be rated properly as Active events without having the kids start over again with provisional Active ratings.
          BTW, our new bonus point system has been running since April 1st and seems to be working fine after a couple of glitches at the onset. There will be an article in the next CFC bulletin explaining it in detail.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Thanks for all the detailed replies, much appreciated!!
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re: New CFC " Quick Chess " Rating System

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              ... The recently held GTCL Cup, Toronto, Ont. ( June 25 ) will be rated Quick Chess ( as far as I know )....

Bob, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
              Yes, it will. Team events are a bit hard to deal with (all individual games need to be paired and entered manually into SwissSys), so we missed the deadline this week. But yes, this GTCL tournament will be submitted for CFC quick rating.

I like what CFC's done with revitalizing a rapid play rating category. Wonder what the mood is on rating Fischer Random ...
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
              X