X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open letter to CFC President on non-Governor participation in 2012 AGM

July 5, 2012.

To: Michael Von Keitz, President, Chess Federation of Canada
    From: Frank Dixon, CFC member, organizer, arbiter, member historians' group, former CFC Governor
    Ref: Questions on non-Governor participation in 2012 CFC on-line AGM

Hello Michael,

I hope you are doing well, and are enjoying your summer! :)

I heard recently that the 2012 Annual General Meeting for the Chess Federation of Canada will be held on-line. This information came through discusssion on the chesstalk.com message board, and derived from a thread not directly connected to this particular topic. The poster, Bob Armstrong, stated that the 2012 AGM of the Ontario Chess Association had been held in an on-line format, and that this proved the catalyst for the CFC's decision. This was news to me.

I had been planning to travel from my home in Kingston, Ontario, to Victoria, site of the 2012 Canadian Open, mostly for other matters, as part of a holiday in western Canada, but really hoped to participate in the AGM, which has been traditionally held in conjunction with the Canadian Open, set to beg in Victoria this coming Sunday, July 8th. This will now be impossible, for me and others. Accordingly, I have modified my travel plans, and now may travel west later in the summer.

I have three very important questions:

1) Will this online hosting of the CFC's AGM now become an annual tradition, replacing the in-person meetings of the past, or will a decision on this question be deferred until after the meeting itself?

2) What, if any, specific provisions have been made to allow CFC members who are not Governors to participate in the AGM? In the past, this was allowed, pending recognition of the individual member by the Chair, usually the CFC President (if present), or his delegated substitute.

3) What are the format details of upcoming AGM, and can an agenda be viewed on-line?

I am concerned over the shortness of time between this announcement and the AGM itself. It is important to note that the Ontario Open for 2012 was held in Thunder Bay, a remote location from southern Ontario. Was this the essential reason for the switch to an on-line format for the AGM? Also, Victoria, site of the 2012 Canadian Open, is also a long distance away from central Canada, home of the vast majority of CFC Governors. Was this the reason for the change in format?

I first met you in person at the AGM of the CFC in July, 2007, in Ottawa. I remember the occasion well, since I gave you a quick briefing on the post-secondary chess file, with which I had played a significant role for the previous five years. Personal networking was possible, and allowed our very useful exchange and many dozens of others. At that meeting, I made many important points from the floor, as a non-Governor, which influenced the ongoing debate. As did several other non-Governors.

I have several significant items related to Canadian chess development which I have prepared, and planned to bring these to the 2012 AGM. Having first joined the CFC in in 1973, nearly 40 years ago, and having made many contributions to Canadian chess as a player, writer, editor, historian, organizer, arbiter, coach, and Governor, during that period, I believe my voice should be respected and heard at this time. No doubt, there are other people across Canada who feel the same way. I feel that the 2012 AGM will be weaker and less effective should our voices be shut out at this time.

I am counting on you to show strong leadership on these important questions, and to find and implement a user-friendly method to allow me and other interested CFC members to participate in the 2012 CFC AGM.

I will await your prompt reply, as time is short. Posting on this board will be sufficient, although you may also send me a personal email, if you wish. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Respectfully submitted,
    Frank Dixon
    Kingston, ONT.

Re: Open letter to CFC President on non-Governor participation in 2012 AGM

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    July 5, 2012.

3) What are the format details of upcoming AGM, and can an agenda be viewed on-line?
    If you read the CFC forum, you would not asked this question.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Agendas:
    Outgoing: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2641
    Incoming: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=2643

Comment

OK, agendas are posted as linked to, so thanks for that. But there is no info, at least that I could find, on how non-Governors can participate in the AGM, and this is my main point.
      :)

Comment

I'm sure if you sent your material to the President he would be willing to post it in the appropriate thread, Frank.

Comment

Maybe so. But that is only part of the point. The CFC has made a change to a long-standing tradition, on very short notice, and I am sure I am not the only person who was not only unaware of this, but is wondering how to take part now. I hadn't even realized, until I wrote this letter and received a posted reply, that the AGM had already started; I equated the start of the AGM with the start of the Canadian Open, which won't take place for another three days. That is the way it has always been.

Comment

The decision to go on-line with the AGM was made in early May, by vote of the Governors.

It's also more than half done already, voting is about to start.

Finally, I still don't really understand why you would post on Chesstalk wanting an official response from the CFC President rather than posting on the CFC's discussion board (where the AGM is taking place, in fact).
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Chris, Frank's primary question still hasn't been answered. As a non-governor, can he participate in the AGM, as in years past?
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                Chris, Frank's primary question still hasn't been answered. As a non-governor, can he participate in the AGM, as in years past?
                Indirectly - he can post on the CFC forum his questions/suggestions/opinions. Doing it on other forums may not reach his intended audience (CFC governors.)

Comment

So the answer seems to be NO. Indirectly does not seem to be good enough for a public organization representing all of Canada. This needs to be corrected to YES, CFC members can access the online meeting; the software should be able to handle this easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                    So the answer seems to be NO. Indirectly does not seem to be good enough for a public organization representing all of Canada. This needs to be corrected to YES, CFC members can access the online meeting; the software should be able to handle this easily.
                    So you are accepting as fact the opinion - more of a guess really - of someone who wouldn't even be involved in the situation?

Until Frank emails Michael or Lyle (and none of this open letter crap) and requests permission to address the AGM, I don't see that there's any point in discussing this further, and certainly no point speculating on what people think the rules may be.
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Come on CFC Governor Mallon; I said "the answer seems to be NO". I am not accepting anything as fact.

So just respond YES or NO, you are a governor. Could Frank or I or any other CFC member attend the AGM online and provide non-governor input?

YES or NO will suffice.

Comment

So just respond YES or NO, you are a governor. Could Frank or I or any other CFC member attend the AGM online and provide non-governor input?

YES or NO will suffice.
                        I'm not the one who has to give the answer. I could say what my answer would be if it was my call, but it's not so there is no point.

This is akin to showing up for an in-person AGM but instead of going to the AGM and asking to be heard, walking around the local mall proclaiming that you might not be allowed to be heard. Frank should just ask the right people through the proper (and faster) channels!
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I think Frank Dixon or for that matter anyone who is a paid up member should be allowed to speak at the AGM Forum.

If it was not for us paying our Dues the CFC would be burnt toast.

Thanks Frank for asking this question . It seems the CFC has started a closed door policy so that the governors can choose the destiny of all cfc members and would-be members.

Maybe we should all unite and refuse to pay CFC dues for one year.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                            It seems the CFC has started a closed door policy so that the governors can choose the destiny of all cfc members and would-be members.
                            Again, show me where exactly it is stated as fact that a CFC Member who is not a Governor has been refused permission to address the AGM.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Come on CFC Governor Mallon; I said "the answer seems to be NO". I am not accepting anything as fact.

YES or NO will suffice.
                              YES - You could attend the AGM -- the online meeting of CFC Governors is in progress now.

Check the Agenda and file a report under New Business and Address the meeting. http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5

If you want to address the Governors -- send an email to Lyle Craver, our Secretary or to the President Michael von Keitz and let us know when and where -- and you can "get in" to the online meeting. However, the attendance can only be by CFC members (in good standing) -- so no problem Paul, or Frank or anyone else.

Please remember that Chris Mallon is correct -- this is not the place to discuss this - just go to the correct board please.

See you over there!

Best Regards,
                              Mark S. Dutton,
                              Executive Vice President, CFC Governor, Chairman - NAC

Discussion Board

CFC Discussion Forum including News, Announcement, Public Chat, and Governors sections. Registration needed for posting (only).

Comment

Working...
                              X