X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bond's Eye on Dresden

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    "... I found the noise level at the Bermuda party to be almost toxic."

Amen to that. I could never stand more than 15 minutes.
    I heard it was a great party actually.
    OzChess - Australia's Chess Forum - Upcoming Chess Tournaments, Game Analysis, Chess Politics, & Australian Chess News
    http://www.ozchess.com

Comment

Round 6 is in the books and I am due to report in 6 minutes for round 7. The baby incident, where 2 minutes were granted happened at the direction of Carol Jarecki. The women arrived plenty early, then had leave to tend to the baby. Irina was asked for permission. I am not sure why the baby is allowed in the hall. Heartlessness in short supply?

Thanks folks for the good feedback. This German keyboard is weird and slows me further but at least I have access. On the Bermuda party - I enjoyed another piece of misinformation when asking for directions back to the hotel. Down this street and turn right. No problem. it was the coldest night of the tournament and the strain is starting to show on lots of people - coughs, colds. Anyway the directions were almost correct. It was down the road and turn left! My health is holding up - must be the beer and the great food at the IBIS, which is now limited to breakfast with the meeting schedule.

Yesterday was tough on me again. I was again stuck with a row of 2 matches and no chair or any place to manage my papers , which is a challenge for me even with a secretary! 2 Scoresheets were misplaced and I was ready to frab. They turned up on Carols table soon after I confessed my problem to her. Atleast the heat is also insufferable, so I have many excuses.

If it was easy anyone could do it?!

Okay - now I am late. Hoepfully a word or 2 about rd 7 later on.

Comment

Mercy for me! Today I had 2 matches, side by side, with a chair, close to a table, and they finished early! One of my colleagues was a monkey in the middle for the first time and he quiched out - opting for a chair along the side, 8 boards and an aisle from his matches. Actually he had some challenges. One of his matches was the hearing impaired versus Estonia and in the final game, the hearing impaired captain was facing her player and some signs were happening. I doubt it was sinister but it looked bad. If it had been me I would have moved ther captain to the other side, behind her player. As an aside, chess is surely one category where the hearing impaired are not handicapped!

I am still trying get my footing with regards to this Kamsky Topalov Match Supervisor gig. I understand this is a new position, introduced at the Anand- Kramnik match, in order to neutralise any preceived advantage from one side or the other. In Bonn, Kramnik had closer ties to the OC and thus Anand needed some comfort level that playing conditions, press coverage, camp facilities, access to logistical support and security were equal. I still need to see something in writing. Theoretically the Organisers and Arbiters answer to me, and only the Appeals Committee can over rule my decisions if an appeal if filed. This is heady stuff for a Guelph boy!

Susan Polgar and her husband Paul Truong just asked me for a press conference. I agreed as soon as I am clued in a little more. Maybe in a day or two.

On my way down here I bumped into Topalov and his manager Danailov. I met Topalov for the first time at the Bermuda party. I spoke in favour of his sport shirt, which had a large numeral "1" on the back. He smiled and said "well, you know, just in case". Good answer! I had a few beers and laughs with Danailov in Khanty Mansiysk in 2007.

I shook hands again with Topalov and mentioned February. He had to do a double take. "it seems I will supervise your match"

"Ah! you are that guy, very good!" I excused myself to fetch some beer and Danailov and Cheparinov were both there when I returned. Bonus. He recognized me and smiled. " I choose you, remember!" I feigned agony and complained about the pressure and we all chuckled. Danailov asked about Canada and the money crisis. I said were basically ok. I said we are more careful. Topalov said "You are more honest, that's why everyone wants Canada for this match."

The original idea for this match was to have American Delegate Bill Kelleher as the Match Supervisor to appease Kamsky. My name would be put forward as a candidate Arbiter but my chances were slim in my estimation. But I think Kamsky and Emil were concerned that this would backfire on them, because an American might be seen as impartial.

My history with Kamsky is also limited but neat. We shared plane ride back from Khanty Mansyisk in 2005. He was on good terms with Pascal which worked well as an icebreaker. He had managed to acquire a bucket of special honey from the prime honey region of Russia and it was clearly prized. We spoke about his new family life, and his dad's giant Mastiffs and gradually quited down. I had a window seat and I looked out to see a rare phenomenon. It was a circular rainbow, with the silhouette of the plane inside of it. The image gradually migrated out of view. I asked my brother in law about it back home and he became a little envious. Apparently pilots log thousands of hours and never see one - he had not. It only happens when you are flying through a certain stratification of clouds. In any case I took it as a kind of good omen, that we would at least land safely!

The next time we met was also memorable. I travelled to Montreal in the summer of 2007 to visit Larry and check out the Montreal International. Larry was out when i got to the store and monents later he is crossing the road waving his cell phone in the air. The call was for me(?!). It was Montreal Organizer Andre Langlois, quite concerend about tonite's match between Nigel Short and Gata Kamsky and asked me to chair the Appeals Committee for the round. Before holding out for cash I agreed. Long story short - their sour history made for some minor posturing at the start of the game but they played a lively draw and shook hands afterward. It was a neat game to watch.

Sometime over the next fewdays I will better understand my new role. I am already starting togather useful information from the FIDE dudes here.

That's it for now. By the way, it looks like Dina is scoring quite well. Is that correct?

Comment

Wonderful reports, Hal!! Much appreciated. I'll look forward to the next installments. You are very blessed to work closely with IA Carol Jarecki; I had that privilege at Minneapolis 2005, and learned a great deal:). She's a stickler for detail but appreciates anyone's intensive efforts to get better. And congratulations on your appointment with the 2009 Kamsky -- Topalov match!! You are on quite the roll as an arbiter, with the 2007 World Cup, 2008 World Championship, 2008 Olympiad, and then Sofia 2009!!

Comment

When John Watson interviewed me on Chess.FM, I cadged for a Canadian position with the Kamsky - Topalov match. I confess that I was thinking of number one (that's not Topalov in this sentence), but good things come around, too.

I saw a full circular rainbow from the upper deck of a BC Ferry between Tsawwassen and Vancouver Island. I took a photo, but ... even though it was a film camera, the dead battery in it prevented the shutter from opening. I wasn't a boy scout, I wasn't prepared.

In Calvia, I had a captain complain that the captain of the opposing team was signalling to its players. I looked, but didn't see anything of the sort. The accused captain had been out of the room, with no likely source of seeing the positions, and was rated only 100 points above his strongest player. The complaining captain was rated about 100 points higher than the accusing captain. Further inquiries revealed that the complaining captain had made the same accusation in an earlier round, about a different opposing team.

Comment

Working...
            X