A truly Canadian championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A truly Canadian championship

This year, the Canadian Closed Championship will be a truly ''national'' championship, with great representants from many provinces :

GM Bator Sambuev (Canadian Champion)
    GM Anton Kovalyov (Quebec Champion)
    FM Richard Wang (Alberta Champion)
    Trevor Vincent (Manitoba Champion)
    Elias Oussedik (N.-B. Champion)
    WIM Natalia Khoudgarian (Canadian Champion ; Women's Closed)

It is not to late to register and to take a chance against Canada's strongest players! www.ccc2012.yolasite.com

Please note the tournament is made possible thanks to its generous sponsors :

New announcements should follow very soon. :)

Re: A truly Canadian championship

I notice that there are as many BC players registered as Quebec players in CYCC.

Comment

Re : Re: A truly Canadian championship

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
      I notice that there are as many BC players registered as Quebec players in CYCC.
      Yes. I also noticed this while writing this article. It is very unfortunate that no BC players are taking part into this tournament. Flights from Vancouver to Montreal are quite expensive, and tend to discourage players from travelling that far. While it is wonderful to have a country that reaches both the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, it is definitely an obstacle for organizing national championships.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: A truly Canadian championship

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        Yes. I also noticed this while writing this article. It is very unfortunate that no BC players are taking part into this tournament. Flights from Vancouver to Montreal are quite expensive, and tend to discourage players from travelling that far. While it is wonderful to have a country that reaches both the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean, it is definitely an obstacle for organizing national championships.
        One thing that is sure, is not the organizers fault.

Comment

The event is planned to be held in the bowels of the Olympic Stadium. I hope the organizers have a room (rooms?) which will be spectator-friendly - ideally (at least) one room with a strong player analyzing a game in progress.

Felix - what will the facilities be like (a) for the players? (b) for spectators?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            The event is planned to be held in the bowels of the Olympic Stadium. I hope the organizers have a room (rooms?) which will be spectator-friendly - ideally (at least) one room with a strong player analyzing a game in progress.

Felix - what will the facilities be like (a) for the players? (b) for spectators?

Hi Hugh,
            As you noticed, the event will be held in the Olympic Stadium. It was originally planned to be held at the College de Maisonneuve, which is right next to it, but with the actual student crysis, it was way too complicated.

There will be two rooms for the players (one for both sections), leaving plenty of space for the participants. Another room will be available for spectators or players who finished their games.

The games should be broadcasted, thanks to Monroi, both live and in the analysis room. However, there's no plan for a strong players analyzing the games. Unfortunately, the live analysis didn't seem much popular at the Quebec Open, which had even more impressive foreign players and much more players. Games will be available after each round though, and I hope to have a good coverage of the event after each round, maybe with games analysis, for the benefit of amateurs.

The Olympic Stadium offers good playing conditions for the participants, and was used for many tournaments such as the Quebec Elite Tournament. Restrooms are nearby, and of course, there's good air conditioning. As always, there will be coffee, snacks, water, etc. It also has the advantage of being right next to the subway.

We are also working on some services for the players, such as a lunch between the two rounds on Sunday. More details on this matter are still to come, though.

Finally, some events will take place right next to the tournament site during the week. This include a free outdoor concert from the ''Orchestre symphonique de Montréal'' on August 9.

Comment

Finally, some events will take place right next to the tournament site during the week. This include a free outdoor concert from the ''Orchestre symphonique de Montréal'' on August 9.
              I highly recommend this for anyone visiting from out of town. OSM is Canada's best orchestra and probably in the top 50 in the world. And you can't beat free!
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The main flaws with the Olympic Stadium as a playing site is the lack of food facilities nearby, and often the long distances needed to reach the tournament site after entering the area (think of walking behind the stands from home plate to centre field in a stadium such as the Rogers Centre (aka Skydome)) - as well as having to sign in and out on weekends and evenings. During weekdays, there is food available in the complex as well as the swimming pool area (but probably not after 5 pm) - otherwise - it's about a 1 km walk (maybe in the rain or heat) down to Hochelaga for a poutine and a Pepsi to go.

Before security scares came along, the best tournament site in Montreal was the CBC/Radio-Canada cafeteria - food served 24 hours a day, and lots of quiet space for the chessplayers (on evenings and weekends).

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  The main flaws with the Olympic Stadium as a playing site is the lack of food facilities nearby, and often the long distances needed to reach the tournament site after entering the area (think of walking behind the stands from home plate to centre field in a stadium such as the Rogers Centre (aka Skydome)) - as well as having to sign in and out on weekends and evenings. During weekdays, there is food available in the complex as well as the swimming pool area (but probably not after 5 pm) - otherwise - it's about a 1 km walk (maybe in the rain or heat) down to Hochelaga for a poutine and a Pepsi to go.

Before security scares came along, the best tournament site in Montreal was the CBC/Radio-Canada cafeteria - food served 24 hours a day, and lots of quiet space for the chessplayers (on evenings and weekends).
                  I seem to remember playing the 2001 Canadian Junior in Montreal in some sort of sporting stadium. I've played in a lot of tournaments, but never in a venue like that. I don't believe that there was a lot else going on in the building at the time. It was an enjoyable venue and Montreal in general is a great city.

Comment

This year, the Canadian Closed Championship
                    I regret that I will not be playing in this event. Montreal is a great city. Whether it is my a.. or b..... that gets whupped, it's always a pleasure to redistribute rating points.

But I'd like to make one important remark. In my informal investigation of the title controversy at the previous Closed, I emailed both Stewart Reuben and the late Mikko Markkula, the top people in FIDE's Qualification Commission. Although Stewart Reuben's initial response indicated that a player should not lose a title because he received a bye, he completely changed his tune when he heard that the organizers had not used a make-up player, a player who takes part if necessary to make the number even and no byes in any round. Markkula agreed with Reuben. It may look like FIDE was prohibiting the use of make-up players in a rule change that had come into effect not long before the last Closed. In fact, that is how a reasonable person would interpret that rule change. The way that Reuben put it is that using a make-up player is an established practice and thus is not prohibited by the new rule. My paraphrasing throughout.

This is an important consideration for the Closed organizers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      I regret that I will not be playing in this event. Montreal is a great city. Whether it is my a.. or b..... that gets whupped, it's always a pleasure to redistribute rating points.

But I'd like to make one important remark. In my informal investigation of the title controversy at the previous Closed, I emailed both Stewart Reuben and the late Mikko Markkula, the top people in FIDE's Qualification Commission. Although Stewart Reuben's initial response indicated that a player should not lose a title because he received a bye, he completely changed his tune when he heard that the organizers had not used a make-up player, a player who takes part if necessary to make the number even and no byes in any round. Markkula agreed with Reuben. It may look like FIDE was prohibiting the use of make-up players in a rule change that had come into effect not long before the last Closed. In fact, that is how a reasonable person would interpret that rule change. The way that Reuben put it is that using a make-up player is an established practice and thus is not prohibited by the new rule. My paraphrasing throughout.

This is an important consideration for the Closed organizers.
                      Thanks for the info regarding the make-up player. This is something we are considering, at least for the first rounds, if there's an uneven number of player. We will definitely look further as to whether it is accepted or not. The next challenge would be to find a player ready to take this role. I could do it myself, since I am qualified by my rating, but I will probably be quite busy and would not offer much resistance :D

@ Hugh
                      The tournament will be held in the first rooms, right next to the entrance. We are also working on solutions, such as maybe a caterer, that would allow players to eat directly on the tournament site between the two rounds on Sunday.

Comment

Thanks for the info regarding the make-up player. This is something we are considering, at least for the first rounds, if there's an uneven number of player. We will definitely look further as to whether it is accepted or not. The next challenge would be to find a player ready to take this role. I could do it myself, since I am qualified by my rating, but I will probably be quite busy and would not offer much resistance :D

@ Hugh
                        The tournament will be held in the first rooms, right next to the entrance. We are also working on solutions, such as maybe a caterer, that would allow players to eat directly on the tournament site between the two rounds on Sunday.
                        We have always used one for International tournaments in Alberta when they are run in a Swiss format.

Comment

Thanks for the info regarding the make-up player. This is something we are considering, at least for the first rounds,
                          Yes, I think that is the most important time, to make sure there are no byes awarded in the first three (maybe four!?) rounds, by having a make-up or "floater" player. If I recall correctly, the fatal (to the norm) bye was awarded last time in round 2. Of course, the ideal tournament would have no byes at all. Joy and Peace on Earth.

Comment

Will FIDE or CFC ratings be used for pairing purposes?

I am situated in Markham at the moment, but might make an appearance to watch some games during the week as I should be in Montreal for business.

Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post
                              Will FIDE or CFC ratings be used for pairing purposes?

I am situated in Markham at the moment, but might make an appearance to watch some games during the week as I should be in Montreal for business.

Norm
                              FIDE ratings will be used for the pairings.

Comment

Working...
                              X