OCA 2012-3 Budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCA 2012-3 Budget

The OCA 2012-3 Financial Meeting is currently going on , and is Open to the public. OCA is significantly trying to be more transparent re its finances, given some of its past history. It deserves some credit for this. Many financial documents, reports and budget are available to view, as well as governor debate: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Bob, OCA Governor

Re: OCA 2012-3 Budget

Bob, it's a very good move for the OCA to be more transparent in its governance, to be sure. :) :)

There are plenty of murky OCA tales from the recent past, including an $80k potential criminal fraud, perpetrated (probably solely) by the former OCA President Barry Thorvardson, against the Trillium Foundation. This escapade has done untold damage to chess in Ontario and Canada, and to the future possibilities of obtaining large amounts of grant money for event bids, such as the 2016 Olympiad.

The sleaze, and the reluctance of Canadian chess leaders to take sufficiently strong steps against those who perpetrate it, has led to some organizers, including myself, being much less involved than before, and everybody loses out because of that. My point is: Why be associated with such antics, when there are so many more productive ways to use one's time and talents!?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      The OCA 2012-3 Financial Meeting is currently going on , and is Open to the public. OCA is significantly trying to be more transparent re its finances, given some of its past history. It deserves some credit for this. Many financial documents, reports and budget are available to view, as well as governor debate: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Bob, OCA Governor
      I can't sign on because I've not got a password.

Are these statements audited or prepared by a professional accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
        Are these statements audited or prepared by a professional accountant?
        An audit would cost at least two times the OCA's annual budget - not likely that that will happen any time soon.

In a typical year there are as little as two cheques coming in and a dozen or so going out - I'm not sure exactly why you'd need a professional to do it.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
          Bob, it's a very good move for the OCA to be more transparent in its governance, to be sure. :) :)

There are plenty of murky OCA tales from the recent past, including an $80k potential criminal fraud, perpetrated (probably solely) by the former OCA President Barry Thorvardson, against the Trillium Foundation. This escapade has done untold damage to chess in Ontario and Canada, and to the future possibilities of obtaining large amounts of grant money for event bids, such as the 2016 Olympiad.

The sleaze, and the reluctance of Canadian chess leaders to take sufficiently strong steps against those who perpetrate it, has led to some organizers, including myself, being much less involved than before, and everybody loses out because of that. My point is: Why be associated with such antics, when there are so many more productive ways to use one's time and talents!?
          Some years have elapsed since the worst of the OCA's history you refer to, Frank. The question is, when has enough time passed to begin to look more forward, rather than back.

Regarding the past, I don't recall much concerning the Trillium 'escapade', other than when I first heard of it, I was appalled.

Later on, one former CFC President told me he thought Mr. Thorvardson was technically within the rules in doing what he did, though I didn't know what to make of that.

In any case, some years later I was a bit put out when the OCA changed it's constitution to 'compel' CFC Governors to also be OCA Governors, if they were from Ontario (don't know what the CFC had to say about that).

However, since then more time has gone by, and now being a CFC Governor I need to also be an OCA one, so I feel I may as well try to at least attend OCA meetings. I don't feel uncomfortable with this now, as there has been a heavy (total!?) turnover of persons on the OCA Executive since the Trillium escapade.

To try to put this into some context, there used to be an Eastern Ontario Chess League (EOCL) many decades ago, and I heard long ago that it was so badly rocked by such a terrible scandal that it was disbanded, and subsequently a new organization, with different people, replaced it.

That would be the Eastern Ontario Chess Association (EOCA), which was renamed thus in order to help rid the stench of whatever scandal there had been with the EOCL.

Hence, that is why to this day the EOCA is no longer called a league, but rather an association (although technically it is a league within the OCA).

I don't think the OCA has yet reached the point where it needs to be disbanded, and renamed, in a similar fashion.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
            Later on, one former CFC President told me he thought Mr. Thorvardson was technically within the rules in doing what he did, though I didn't know what to make of that.
            Tens of thousands of dollars worth of cheques never even approved by the OCA executive? Not to mention corporate conflict-of-interest?

Anyway, that's years ago now, and we applied the strongest penalty we could apply without spending a lot of money we didn't have on lawyers.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              An audit would cost at least two times the OCA's annual budget - not likely that that will happen any time soon.

In a typical year there are as little as two cheques coming in and a dozen or so going out - I'm not sure exactly why you'd need a professional to do it.
              So I assume then that you have quotes for the cost of the audit. How much was it? Who were the firms that quoted?

A professional or an audit would provide better assurance given that the organization has a troubling financial history as outlined by Frank's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                I can't sign on because I've not got a password. ...
                Sign on to the CFC's discussion board, then scroll to the bottom of the 'English Chat' page where you'll find a drop-down menu called 'Forum Jump'. Use the drop-down menu to access 'OCA 2012 Financial Meeting'. :)
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                X