Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is MonRoi worth saving?

I'm all for supporting Canadian companies but the ongoing problems with the
    transmission of live games with the MonRoi system bodes ill for the company.
    If they can't fix the problem then maybe they should just pack it in. Surely they cannot expect wholehearted support from Canadian chess players in the state they are in.

Re : Is MonRoi worth saving?

Unfortunately, there's no perfect broadcasting system. MonRoi errors are rarely software errors, they are human errors. Just as with as scoresheet, if a player forgets to write down his move, it doesn't make any sense... But sooner or later the player will notice it and correct it. Of course, for a few minutes, it won't make any sense, but at the end it should be all right.

I don't want to imagine how complicated and how many errors could happen with 20 DGT boards in the same tournament... While DGT is great for a few boards (like the first 4 boards of the Quebec Open), it doesn't seem like a viable option for a whole tournament.

Comment

Re: Re : Is MonRoi worth saving?

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
      Unfortunately, there's no perfect broadcasting system. MonRoi errors are rarely software errors, they are human errors. Just as with as scoresheet, if a player forgets to write down his move, it doesn't make any sense... But sooner or later the player will notice it and correct it. Of course, for a few minutes, it won't make any sense, but at the end it should be all right.

I don't want to imagine how complicated and how many errors could happen with 20 DGT boards in the same tournament... While DGT is great for a few boards (like the first 4 boards of the Quebec Open), it doesn't seem like a viable option for a whole tournament.
      Webcams yo

Comment

Re: Is MonRoi worth saving?

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
        If they can't fix the problem then maybe they should just pack it in. Surely they cannot expect wholehearted support from Canadian chess players in the state they are in.
        There should be no reason to support any company other than those who have a successful product. The fact that they are or aren't "Canadian" is a bit of a red-herring in my view. If there is no clear winner between two competing products, then, go ahead and take the Canadian one if you wish.

I have not seen a detailed breakdown of the comparative costs, but I am under the impression that the DGT boards are quite expensive. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the costs of using DGT versus Monroi for (say) 5, 10, 20 boards.

Another thing: anyone with a DGT board and an internet connection could presumably broadcast a game or set of games - does anyone other than Monroi operate the server-side and broadcast of the monroi run events? In other words, it the broadcast entirely the work of Monroi (and I presume they charge a fee for that service and setup etc). If anyone has purchased the server side of Monroi, can they share what their experience has been?

I have also always wondered if I would ever see Anand or Carlsen using a Monroi, but I am pretty sure they routinely use a DGT board at various tournaments.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: Is MonRoi worth saving?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          Another thing: anyone with a DGT board and an internet connection could presumably broadcast a game or set of games - does anyone other than Monroi operate the server-side and broadcast of the monroi run events? In other words, it the broadcast entirely the work of Monroi (and I presume they charge a fee for that service and setup etc). If anyone has purchased the server side of Monroi, can they share what their experience has been?
          Anybody who purchase a Professional Tournament Manager Hub can broadcast its tournament by himself. The FQE bought one a couple of years ago, and I'll be broadcasting the Canadian Closed with it.

Comment

I have also always wondered if I would ever see Anand or Carlsen using a Monroi, but I am pretty sure they routinely use a DGT board at various tournaments.
            What about Olympiad? :D Did they relay all Olympiad games with DGTs in 2010?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Is MonRoi worth saving?

Anybody who purchase a Professional Tournament Manager Hub can broadcast its tournament by himself. The FQE bought one a couple of years ago, and I'll be broadcasting the Canadian Closed with it.
              Thank you Felix! The Hub (and software etc) appears to be about $639.00, so it does seem very feasible to broadcast a tournament provided there are enough Monroi devices available (!) - that might be a bit of a problem area.

One perhaps trivial question: do both players in a particular game have to use Monroi or would only one user be ok? If both players are using a Monroi, do they both transmit the game to the server or just one of them?

Comment

One problem with the Monroi device may be its small size. That may be the reason the player incorrectly registers a move.
                I have a similar problem with too small cell phones - punching one number often
                activates one of the eight adjoining numbers - and my fingers are no larger than average.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Is MonRoi worth saving?

One perhaps trivial question: do both players in a particular game have to use Monroi or would only one user be ok? If both players are using a Monroi, do they both transmit the game to the server or just one of them?
                  It is not necessary to have both players using MonRoi. However, it avoids some problems if they both use it, since the software will consider both PCM and will transmit a move as soon as one of the players writes it down (one of the player could then forget to write his move).

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Is MonRoi worth saving?

It is not necessary to have both players using MonRoi. However, it avoids some problems if they both use it, since the software will consider both PCM and will transmit a move as soon as one of the players writes it down (one of the player could then forget to write his move).
                    Again, thanks. My programming background wants to ask the obvious question: if both devices transmit different moves (obviously due to errors on the part of one or both of the players), does the server side alert the operator or the arbiter or do nothing?

Anyway, all such minutia aside, it seems like the DGT boards are expensive and rather inflexible whereas the Monroi is portable and compact. I guess there are pros and cons. I can see an investment in DGT boards for an association where the DGT boards will be used for many years - the Monroi facilitates the ad hoc creation of broadcasts.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Is MonRoi worth saving?

Again, thanks. My programming background wants to ask the obvious question: if both devices transmit different moves (obviously due to errors on the part of one or both of the players), does the server side alert the operator or the arbiter or do nothing?
                      As soon as there is an error, the moves start flashing in red on the operator's computer. This is why there's sometimes an error for the broadcasting, which only lasts a few minutes until the operator manually corrects it.

Comment

I have not seen a detailed breakdown of the comparative costs, but I am under the impression that the DGT boards are quite expensive. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the costs of using DGT versus Monroi for (say) 5, 10, 20 boards.
                        DGT also has the benefit of being seamless to the players - they don't have to do anything differently.

You can get a board/set, clock and carry bag for around $900 for the USB version (the Bluetooth ones cost a little more).

I agree that the Monroi devices are a little small. Also, the hub connects via a serial-to-USB connection and installing the drivers for that gave my laptop a number of viruses. I'm sure that problem was fixed, but just having to rely on third-party connections like that rather than just building a USB port in seems like a lack of refinement to me.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Is MonRoi worth saving?

What I have noticed when both players have monroi devices two instances of the same game are available online.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post

Is it in some kind of danger?

Comment

Working...
                            X