Paul Arvaj of Hamilton...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Arvaj of Hamilton...

a local chess master, self-published at least three small booklets entitled About Chess in 1974, 1975 and 1979. Each had the same title, but each had different content. Each had a small collection of his games with a short autobiography and another essay on chess. Small format with 16-20 pages per issue.

I would like to know if anyone knows whether he is still around (Hans Jung thinks he might be) and/or whether he published more than three of these booklets. The ones I have (thanks to David Cohen) are a) Yellow covers (1974), b) Whitish covers with black printing (1975), and c) Whitish covers with red printing (1979).

Information would be appreciated.

Re: Paul Arvaj of Hamilton...

Paul may still be around but not in the best of health. Last time I knew of him he was living in a second level lodging home in Hamilton. He sometimes ran errands for the owner. I used to work in that section of social services in Hamilton that administered the subsidy to stay there so I would see him from time to time bringing by the monthly paperwork from the owner. For those unfamiliar with SLLH they are a minimal sort of care place for those who need some help with taking their medication, preparing meals etc. Some of them are good and some of them are not so good. I would think Paul is well past his competetive chess days. This is probably not a surprise to anyone who has read his pamphlets as he starts out by explaining in one that he took up the serious study of chess and religion following a nervous breakdown.

He did come by when we were running the Germania club actives with some of his pamphlets. I think Frank Pushkedra bought some off him and recommended them. I would think that was about 2003. Frank may know more but you'd have to contact Frank directly as he's not online as far as I know. Overall he had put on a lot of weight (like I'm one to talk) but looked pretty contended and happy everytime I saw him in the east end of Hamilton. The one thing I regret about his pamphlets is that the games are completely unannotated. I do remember my English teacher Walter Michalsky complaining that Paul had published his win over Walter but not his loss.
    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Thursday, 26th July, 2012, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
      Paul may still be around but not in the best of health. Last time I knew of him he was living in a second level lodging home in Hamilton. He sometimes ran errands for the owner. I used to work in that section of social services in Hamilton that administered the subsidy to stay there so I would see him from time to time bringing by the monthly paperwork from the owner. For those unfamiliar with SLLH they are a minimal sort of care place for those who need some help with taking their medication, preparing meals etc. Some of them are good and some of them are not so good. I would think Paul is well past his competetive chess days. This is probably not a surprise to anyone who has read his pamphlets as he starts out by explaining in one that he took up the serious study of chess and religion following a nervous breakdown.

He did come by when we were running the Germania club actives with some of his pamphlets. I think Frank Pushkedra bought some off him and recommended them. I would think that was about 2003. Frank may know more but you'd have to contact Frank directly as he's not online as far as I know. Overall he had put on a lot of weight (like I'm one to talk) but looked pretty contended and happy everytime I saw him in the east end of Hamilton. The one thing I regret about his pamphlets is that the games are completely unannotated. I do remember my English teacher Walter Michalsky complaining that Paul had published his win over Walter but not his loss.
      Thanks! I will try to contact the only F. Pushkedra listed in Grimsby, none in Hamilton.

Comment

Some years ago (say, 8 or more), Paul used to play chess at the Hamilton Public Library, central branch, once or twice a month - no club, just offhand games with whoever happened to show up. Some of the crew who used to play there might know where he is, viz: Mikhail Egorov, Bob Gillanders, Doug Bailey (sp?).
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
          Thanks! I will try to contact the only F. Pushkedra listed in Grimsby, none in Hamilton.
          Yes Frank lived in the country in Grimsby which I think is one reason he wasn't online back then. One of the guys always used to call him about when the dates for the actives were, either Marco or Oscar as we couldn't always make the advanced notice dates in En Passant. Frank used to coach Doug Bailey back in the day, they may still be in touch.

You know it occurs to me that if someone wanted to annotate the games and make them available in some kind of format with Paul's permission it would be worthwhile project. He was quite the player back in the day, Hamilton club champ at least once when the Hamilton club was quite a strong club.
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Thursday, 26th July, 2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Paul in collaboration with his friend G. Guenther created a type-written 12 page "My 22 Best Games Pavle Arvaj" in 1972. I have a copy, as I was a member of the Hamilton Chess Club back then, a friend as well as his competitor. The three "All About Chess" you mention I also have, and I'm not aware of any other issues.

Comment

Sorry, I made a mistake on the title of the pamphlets, it is "About Chess".

I have not seen Paul in quite a few years.

Comment

Paul is a good natured person, and was a strong player. He was one of the players who successfully competed against the higher rated Toronto masters in the 60s and 70s. I certainly owe a great deal to Paul Arvaj, Paul Vaitonis, Isaac Steinberg, Peter Van der Wel, among others, who played regularly at our club and happily shared their ideas with the younger players.

There was an exception....one of my first times at the Hamilton club, I managed to ask a strong, regular player for a blitz game...he grudgingly agreed, beat me quickly, stared in my eyes and said "Look kid, you don't belong in this area of the club, the patzer section is at the back"...that was a great motivator to improve my game!

However, Paul, who was typically at the club hours earlier than anyone else, would happily show me games, and play some skittles.

It was a great privilege to be a member of the HCCC in the 70s.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
                  ...he grudgingly agreed, beat me quickly, stared in my eyes and said "Look kid, you don't belong in this area of the club, the patzer section is at the back"...
                  Jeez! Unfortunately, I think many chess clubs have a member or two like this. :(
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
                    Paul is a good natured person, and was a strong player. He was one of the players who successfully competed against the higher rated Toronto masters in the 60s and 70s. I certainly owe a great deal to Paul Arvaj, Paul Vaitonis, Isaac Steinberg, Peter Van der Wel, among others, who played regularly at our club and happily shared their ideas with the younger players.

There was an exception....one of my first times at the Hamilton club, I managed to ask a strong, regular player for a blitz game...he grudgingly agreed, beat me quickly, stared in my eyes and said "Look kid, you don't belong in this area of the club, the patzer section is at the back"...that was a great motivator to improve my game!

However, Paul, who was typically at the club hours earlier than anyone else, would happily show me games, and play some skittles.

It was a great privilege to be a member of the HCCC in the 70s.

Brian
                    I have a pretty good idea who the patzer comment came from but I'll keep it to myself. I know of only one person like that at the club back then; the one our chess coach at school Mr Michalsky warned us about.

Comment

Actually looked at his CFC listing and someone should probably fix it up. It is rather incomplete to say the least. http://chess.ca/players?check_rating_surname=arvaj

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Finlay View Post
                        Paul in collaboration with his friend G. Guenther created a type-written 12 page "My 22 Best Games Pavle Arvaj" in 1972. I have a copy, as I was a member of the Hamilton Chess Club back then, a friend as well as his competitor. The three "All About Chess" you mention I also have, and I'm not aware of any other issues.
                        It would be great if someone could put together 3 or so of his best games and a little bio of his chess results as an article for the Hamilton CC website and the CFC magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                          a local chess master, self-published at least three small booklets entitled About Chess in 1974, 1975 and 1979. Each had the same title, but each had different content. Each had a small collection of his games with a short autobiography and another essay on chess. Small format with 16-20 pages per issue.

I would like to know if anyone knows whether he is still around (Hans Jung thinks he might be) and/or whether he published more than three of these booklets. The ones I have (thanks to David Cohen) are a) Yellow covers (1974), b) Whitish covers with black printing (1975), and c) Whitish covers with red printing (1979).

Information would be appreciated.
                          Thanks to some suggestions, I tried leaving messages with my phone number and e-mail address with Joe C. and Frank P. No response.

Does anyone have other ideas?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X