Cafe Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cafe Pi

It should be busy in a Friday or Saturday night, I think Elshad returned to Russia or Azerbaijan. Not many money games these days, but there are always fish in the aquarium. :-) There will be a blitz tournament on Sunday at 3 pm (details will be posted later in the week). And there are always backgammon players that will play you for just about any stakes you want; and there is almost always a poker game later in the evening (10c/20c blinds - and the in-house ATM machine comes in handy for some).

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hugh, I'll probably stop by Saturday evening. When does it start getting busy? When does it close? I'll probably also stop by for the Sunday tournament.

Comment

It's usually "busy" after 7 pm, but on weekends, there MIGHT be some strong players in the afternoon. It closes at midnight, but addicts used to continue at a nearby all-night Vietnamese fast-food place.

Comment

Re: Re : Cafe Pi

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
          I've long lamented the fact that Toronto doesn't have its own Cafe Pi. Now it seems that Moscow is endeavouring to create an entire city of Cafe Pi's. Almost makes me want to be a Muscovite.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/28/486...-chess-in.html
          Toronto had its chess cafes back in the 60's on Yorkville Avenue before the street was taken over by commercial interests trying to capture some of the Bohemian atmosphere. The best informal gatherings were in the late evenings when the players would gather after 8 pm and play til 3 or 4 in the morning. There would also be live music in some of the places Joso at Club 71 and the Riverboat where Gord Lightfoot played to name two.
          Now, of course, coffee houses are open all day and close at midnight with no tables for chess.
          Until a few years ago, Future Bakery on Bloor and Brunswick had chess every day but the chess players would spend 4 or 5 hours playing with only one coffee. So they got kicked out. As the economy gets worse, the chances of a resurgence of chess cafes diminishes.
          Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Sunday, 1st September, 2013, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Re: Re : Cafe Pi

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Toronto had its chess cafes back in the 60's on Yorkville Avenue before the street was taken over by commercial interests trying to capture some of the Bohemian atmosphere. The best informal gatherings were in the late evenings when the players would gather after 8 pm and play til 3 or 4 in the morning. There would also be live music in some of the places Joso at Club 71 and the Riverboat where Gord Lightfoot played to name two.
            Now, of course, coffee houses are open all day and close at midnight with no tables for chess.
            Until a few years ago, Future Bakery on Bloor and Brunswick had chess every day but the chess players would spend 4 or 5 hours playing with only one coffee. So they got kicked out. As the economy gets worse, he chances of a resurgence of chess cafes diminishes.
            Rents in Toronto and Vancouver make running a business there very difficult. The retail landscape is changing rapidly. Actually I think a bad economy is good for chess (and board games in general) as it is where you can go when times are tough and you are looking for fun at a small cost. What is interesting is these relatively new places where you can play board games....they seem to be thriving in Toronto (Snakes & Lattes), and Montreal (Pub Randolf). Ottawa is on shakier ground with Monopolatte...the owner is not as business wise as the other two. The Montreal and Toronto locations are incredibly successful! Timing is everything. Board Games, especially the Euro Games are hot in North America right now...Strategy Games sells them and we are growing month after month in this area...especially at our Ottawa location where board games have always been hot....and we beat the competition hands down on service and price (thanks Brad, Dave and Jean-Guy!)

We also rent out space to chess groups and board gamers in Montreal and Toronto...for only $35 a day plus HST...we have space for 60 players at each location...contact us!

www.strategygames.ca

Comment

Working...
            X