At the World Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the World Junior

Both Hansen and Hambleton won their games a few minutes ago.

Aman won against Israeli GM Baron Tal 2452.
    This gives Aman an overall performance rating of 2509!!
    WELL DONE AMAN!

Re: At the World Junior

That pretty well locks up an IM norm I believe. Unless his Round 9 game ends up as a loss to someone rated very low (2300 or lower), which is unlikely as most of those who will be at 5 1/2 are much more highly rated...

The more challenging thing for him will be getting that rating up from 2244 to 2400 which he'll need to do to get the title eventually.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      That pretty well locks up an IM norm I believe. Unless his Round 9 game ends up as a loss to someone rated very low (2300 or lower), which is unlikely as most of those who will be at 5 1/2 are much more highly rated...

The more challenging thing for him will be getting that rating up from 2244 to 2400 which he'll need to do to get the title eventually.
      Aman is only 1 point behind tournament leader Alexander Ipitov. This being a 13 round tournament and Aman playing a hot streak as he is, he could still win the whole thing and an automatic GM title!

Comment

I didn't realize it's 13 rounds. This is a good time to hit a hot streak!

I'd like to see all our Canadian entrants do well!
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          His "title" performance rating should be higher as one opponent has rating 1978 and thus it can be raised to 2050.
          http://chess-results.com/tnr76324.as...flag=30&snr=79

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Aman is only 1 point behind tournament leader Alexander Ipitov. This being a 13 round tournament and Aman playing a hot streak as he is, he could still win the whole thing and an automatic GM title!
            True, true. Still lots of chess left to be played.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Keep up the good work, Aman!

Comment

Aman being the lowest rated 5 1/2 gets paired with the highest rated 5 -
                he plays a Ukranian GM rated 2629. Here are all the pairings for round 9

>>>>http://www.chess-results.com/tnr7632...et=YES&flag=30

Good game tomorrow, Aman!
                Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Friday, 10th August, 2012, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Re : At the World Junior

A R9 win today against the Ukrainian GM, Yaroslav Zherebukh (2629), will evidently earn Aman a 9th round GM norm.

http://post.jagran.com/world-junior-...orm-1344661915

Comment

My new hero:

http://www.chess-results.com/tnr7632...flag=30&snr=99
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Yes, Mark Lapidus, the 1995 born Estonian, is the only participant lower rated than Aman who has a chance today for a GM norm. He has the White pieces against the American GM elect Conrad Holt (2498) and 'only' needs a draw so his chances are presumably good. One might even argue that he's 'due' for a draw after 8 consecutive decisive results.

Comment

I'm also rather rooting for the 1999!! born Wei Yi (2418), an FM with 2 IM norms prior to Athens. He's on board 4 with the Black pieces today against GM Alexsandr Shimanov (2596). Wei Yi has a 2667 TPR through the first 8 rounds and is clearly China's newest wunderkind.

Comment

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...8&view=article

"1.45b For a GM norm at least 1/3 with a minimum 3 of the opponents (MO) must be GMs. For exact numbers see table in 1.7."

I don't see how either player meets this requirement. Is there some other requirement for the World Junior?

By either I mean Hambleton or Lapidus. Sorry, didn't see your latest post.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I stand corrected, Tom. I jumped to the conclusion from that Das Debashis article that 6.5/9 did the trick. But I see now that Das is playing his 4th GM today which more than satisfies the minimum 3 GM requirement. Aman just falls short of said requirement. He's playing his 2nd GM today and his one and only loss was to an IM with 2 GM norms. Of course, as Vlad posted earlier, if Caissa continues to shine on Aman and he wins this tournament then he immediately garners full GM status (:

Comment

Live Games - RD. 12 (2nd last )

Live Rd. 12 Games on Chessbomb Arena - on now: http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/

Game 13 - Can. IM Eric Hansen's game
                              Game 29 - a top game to watch: Ter-Sahakyan, Samvil ( Armenia - 3rd ) - Rapport, Richard ( Hungary - tied 1st/2nd )
                              Game 33 - a top game to watch: Wei, Yi ( China - tied 4th-8th ) - Ipatov, Alexander ( Turkey - tied 1st - 2nd )

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X