What is the domain name Chesstalk.com worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the domain name Chesstalk.com worth?

I was recently approached by someone who wanted to purchase our domain name. Without thinking I said...sure...give us $10,000 and it is yours. I found out afterwards that we have a number of sites that use the chesstalk intro so this is more complicated than I thought. Anyway, the fellow started telling me (actually he was pretty insulting...remember HE approched me LOL) that $10,000 was outrageous etc.

Anyway, today I took the time to do some research and it looks like a company that knows nothing about us says our domain name is worth just over $3,000...about the same thing as the CFC site...hmmm...I would buy the CFC domain name for 3 times that amount...in a heartbeat. Does anyone know of a good site for evaluating the worth of a domain name?

And yes I know...the value of something is in the eye of the beholder :)

Larry

Re: What is the domain name Chesstalk.com worth?

I would say that the chesstalk.com domain name is worth a lot more than $3000 though I did try putting it in one of those online domain valuation services and it came up with a value of $730. Of course they then wanted to list it for sale so I am not sure that the valuation is entirely objective.

When someone is trying to buy something, it is obviously in his interest to low ball the offer. I would guess that your $10,000 would be about right simply from the point of view of the hassle involved in coming up with a memorable new domain name, redesigning your website and your literature that might refer to the website. If your website was golftalk.com it would probably be worth quite a bit more.

Chess.ca is worth $3600 according to the same valuation website (http://www.valuate.com/). I would definitely hold out for more than $10,000 for that domain name.

Chess.com is worth $770,000 but much of the value is because it represents an established website with lots of search hits and thus is valuable as an advertising property, I suppose.
    Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 13th August, 2012, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I think the climate change material is priceless. :)

On a more serious note, I suppose you have to take into consideration the advertising value and goodwill the site gives the retail business, if any.

The man who owned the correspondence chess domain sold it a few years ago. I don't know what he got. The message board seems to be gone. They have online chess now, as far as I know, but I haven't tried it.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Usually online valuations are for someone who just wants to do advertising or referrals on a domain name, not for actually purchasing the site.

Using your chess.ca example... it's much more valuable to someone wanting to do something with chess in Canada vs someone who wants to do random advertising.

Similarly, if CMA decided not to run Chesstalk anymore and sold the site including the domain name and the forums - with the "established customer base" I'm sure it would be worth a lot more.

Anyway, the sites I use to analyze potential value don't give much value to chesstalk.com at all, but to chesstalk.info they give a $4000-$5000 range - because that's where all the traffic goes...

BTW I get a value of almost $11,000 for chess.ca on my sites.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          Usually online valuations are for someone who just wants to do advertising or referrals on a domain name, not for actually purchasing the site.

Using your chess.ca example... it's much more valuable to someone wanting to do something with chess in Canada vs someone who wants to do random advertising.

Similarly, if CMA decided not to run Chesstalk anymore and sold the site including the domain name and the forums - with the "established customer base" I'm sure it would be worth a lot more.

Anyway, the sites I use to analyze potential value don't give much value to chesstalk.com at all, but to chesstalk.info they give a $4000-$5000 range - because that's where all the traffic goes...

BTW I get a value of almost $11,000 for chess.ca on my sites.
          Gee...so I was right in thinking $10,000 for the CFC site was a good deal :)

But I would never go to 3 times that amount!

Based on what I have seen since I posted this originally...maybe the guy should have accepted $10,000 afterall...without the verbal blah blah :)

Larry

Comment

Whatever it's worth to others, you could make it more valuable to yourself by simply advertising your products. Put a banner top center above this forum, or down the right side.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
              Whatever it's worth to others, you could make it more valuable to yourself by simply advertising your products. Put a banner top center above this forum, or down the right side.
              Excellent observation!

I think I am going to spend the next 6 months learning how to be tech savy...and make our excellent initiatives over the years...pay some bills :).

We lost my good friend Yves Casabon 3 years ago and while we have had some great help since then...tis time for me to see if I can go the extra mile.

Thanks for your very valuable input!

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                Based on what I have seen since I posted this originally...maybe the guy should have accepted $10,000 afterall...without the verbal blah blah :)
                I hope you are not greedy and you'll share some $ with those who posts most :D

imho, chesstalk.com might be more valuable than chess.ca like a domain name
                *.ca would be limited to a national arena as chess.com is already an established site with a huge membership.

Hmm, time to buy a chessgossip.com

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

*.ca would be limited to a national arena as chess.com is already an established site with a huge membership.

Hmm, time to buy a chessgossip.com
                  Hi Egidijus,

Interesting...I just got an e-mail from a techi on my executive who said the same thing... .com is better than .ca

Hey I am always willing to share :)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                    I was recently approached by someone who wanted to purchase our domain name. Without thinking I said...sure...give us $10,000 and it is yours. I found out afterwards that we have a number of sites that use the chesstalk intro so this is more complicated than I thought. Anyway, the fellow started telling me (actually he was pretty insulting...remember HE approched me LOL) that $10,000 was outrageous etc.

Anyway, today I took the time to do some research and it looks like a company that knows nothing about us says our domain name is worth just over $3,000...about the same thing as the CFC site...hmmm...I would buy the CFC domain name for 3 times that amount...in a heartbeat. Does anyone know of a good site for evaluating the worth of a domain name?

And yes I know...the value of something is in the eye of the beholder :)

Larry
                    Usually to evalute something like that you have to figure out what cashflows it will generate in the future. Chesstalk is your web portal so for you it should be a case of being able to figure out how many web sales or in-store sales you think this site generates for you that you wouldn't otherwise generate.

For someone to buy it that does not have a similar operation I don't know why they would even bother. Why pay any amount of money for something if you can't use it to at least recover your initial payment in a reasonable amout of time. It seems like the person telling you that $10000 is outrageous does not have much or any cash flow possibilities if they do buy the domain. Which is their problem not your's.
                    Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 13th August, 2012, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

In general, one word "chess" is usually more valuable than two words "chess talk".

Comment

Hi Larry:

I went to log in from out of town the other day, and found that the domain name is in fact: chess-talk.com. I think I am right on this, because I got no response when I used " chesstalk.com ".

Bob

P.S. At some places on the discussion board, the site is called " ChessTalk ". It's a small point, but I would think it would be helpful if all were the same.

Comment

Hi again Larry:

On looking into this further, I see that the domain name is as you state: chesstalk.com.

But there is now another site called: chess-talk.com. I'm not sure what it is about, since I can't enter it - not registered with a password. But may be good to be aware it exists, in case it now causes confusion.

Bob

Comment

Hello Larry:

I have a website myself. It is called: http://www.normarsenaultrealty.com/

I used to use the tool http://www.mywebsitevalue.info/ to have a rough value of my domain and others.

Norm

Comment

As the IPO evaluation of Facebook proved and as the dot com bubble showed, internet site evaluations are tricky things. I wouldn't rely on any evaluation that was not based on cashflows or at least on hits generated over a lengthy time period.

Comment

Working...
                              X