Superfest 2012...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superfest 2012...

am I disappointed yes...should I listen to my staff more...yess...okay...since I never cancel anything I announce (at least since I had a disaster a number of years back where I really could not afford the loss...the person involved was not happy...neither was I...and since then I said to myself...what I lose is what I lose...life goes on)

Hey there is a great event happening in the Laurentians starting on Aug 15...these prizes are GUARANTEED!

Wake up :).

http://www.chess-math.org/superfest2012/

Honestly this is an incredible location....

We will lose about $10,000 on this event...enjoy the summer in the Laurentians at our expense :)

Larry

Re: Superfest 2012...

I'm not exactly sure looking at it on the surface why more people haven't registered!?

It looks like a great event and currently the per capita prize is around $130 which is pretty high, which should entice more people to register, or at least you would think...

Especially when you combine that with extremely low registration rate and relatively low accommodation rates!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      I'm not exactly sure looking at it on the surface why more people haven't registered!?

It looks like a great event and currently the per capita prize is around $130 which is pretty high, which should entice more people to register, or at least you would think...

Especially when you combine that with extremely low registration rate and relatively low accommodation rates!
      Hi Chris,

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

I was up here 2 weekends ago...it was awesome! Entry fees are Quebec based (low) ...lodging...you can not find anything in North Asmerica at these rates for anything so awesome...anyway...if weather permits...we have a Vollybally tournament in the works :)

If the hotel tells you there are no rooms available...call me gee...I will find you a Great room :)

But Chris you are right...this is a great event....it is not too late...REGISTER with me directly!

Larry

Comment

I have just gotten back into playing, and am planning a series of tournaments to attend in the next few months. The lodging rate that Larry has scored is INCREDIBLY LOW! :)

Comment

Oh definitely, if this was next summer I'd probably be going :)
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Sadly I am unable to go because I am out of the country. If I was in Canada I would definitely go.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
              Sadly I am unable to go because I am out of the country. If I was in Canada I would definitely go.

Thanks Guys!

The Manager here is the same guy that managed the Lord Berri when we did the N. A. event a couple of years ago...and we blew the numbers out of the water...full house

This proporty is incredible! So the fellow called me...I spent an evening there on his tab...myohmy...it is incredible...okay...so I ask my staff...thay say...this is not your clientele...and I say...and this is tooo good to miss!

duh...here we are 2....days before the event...if you show up now you will be a winner...

Larry

Comment

Re : Superfest 2012...

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                am I disappointed yes...should I listen to my staff more...yess...okay...since I never cancel anything I announce (at least since I had a disaster a number of years back where I really could not afford the loss...the person involved was not happy...neither was I...and since then I said to myself...what I lose is what I lose...life goes on)

Hey there is a great event happening in the Laurentians starting on Aug 15...these prizes are GUARANTEED!

Wake up :)
                It takes years to build up such events. I cannot understand the reasoning which led to hopes of instant success. The World Open, to take one example, took years to become what it is today, in a much more favourable (numerous) market then ours.
                By the way I am registered, contrary to those admiring, positive and "supportive" people who would have liked to play, who would have attended if... etc. etc.

Comment

Re: Re : Superfest 2012...

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                  It takes years to build up such events. I cannot understand the reasoning which led to hopes of instant success. The World Open, to take one example, took years to become what it is today, in a much more favourable (numerous) market then ours.
                  By the way I am registered, contrary to those admiring, positive and "supportive" people who would have liked to play, who would have attended if... etc. etc.
                  I agree with Jean about events building up over time. Larry, I hope this initial one at least comes close to breaking even, so that you could consider trying to build it in the years to come. I believe you are onto something, but it might take a year or two of players telling people-who-wanted-to-play just what they missed out on. My 2c worth.

Comment

P.S. Larry, would you or the arbiter(s) be able to post a final pre-registered list? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                      P.S. Larry, would you or the arbiter(s) be able to post a final pre-registered list? Thanks!

61 players to-date

Bergeron Jean-Guy Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Bertin François - Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Bevand Larry - Moins de 2000 - Régulier
                      Bluteau David- Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Bluteau Yvon - Moins de 2000 - Régulier
                      Bolduc Jacques - Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Bolduc Olivier - Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Bonneville-Roussy Didier Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Brûlé Daniel - Moins de 2000 - Court
                      Caire François - Ouverte
                      Carrier Claude - Ouverte - Bye Rd 2
                      Chan Alexandre - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Chan David - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Chiku-Ratté Olivier Kenta - Ouverte
                      Du Plessis Jean-Roch - Moinde de 2000 Court
                      Forget Luc- Ouverte
                      Frangakis Evan - Moins de 1700 - Court (Bye Rd 1
                      Gao Christine - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Gao Catherine - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Gauthier Martin - Moins de 1400 -Court Bye Rd 1
                      Gedajlovic Max - Ouverte
                      Gignac Guy - Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Girard Sylvain - Moins de 2000 - Court
                      Giroux Robert - Moins de 2000 - Court
                      Hamilton Robert - Ouverte
                      Hébert Jean - Ouverte
                      Johnson-Constantin Matthieu - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Kraiouchkine Nikita - Ouvert
                      Labrecque Réjean - Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Laurin Marcel - Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Lemieux Serge - Ouvert
                      Maheux Pierre - Moins de 2000 - Régulier
                      Marghetis Aris - Moins de 2000 - Court
                      Mikhaylov Dimitry -Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Ming Wenyang - Moins de 1700 Court
                      Molloy Francis - Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Ouellet Maïli-Jade - Moins de 1700 - Régulier
                      Ouimet Alain - Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Plante Marc-Eric - Moins de 1700 - Court
                      Plante Michel - Ouvert
                      Plouffe Michel - Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Rodrigue-Lemieux Shawn - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Saha Ananda - Moins de 1700 ?
                      Saine Zachary - Moins de 1700 - Court
                      Sapozhnikov Roman - Ouverte
                      Satir Ege Nur - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Selmani Sam - Moins de 1700 - Court
                      Serban Diana - Moins de 1400 - Court
                      Shi Ling Yun - Moins de 2000 - ?
                      Sprumont Oscar - Ouverte
                      St-Cyr Xavier - Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Touboul Bertrand - Moins de 2000 - Régulier
                      Tsypin Allison - Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Tsypin Nicolas - Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Tsypin Vadim - Moins de 1400 - Régulier
                      Vanden Ron - Moins de 2000 - Régulier
                      Villeneuve Robert - Moins de 2000 - Court
                      Wang Constance - Moins de 1700 - ?
                      Wang Jesse - Ouverte
                      Wang Kelly - Moins de 1700 - ?
                      Zhu HongRui - Ouverte

Comment

Thank you !!

By the way, how many people do you need in order to consider trying again next year?

(If you prefer, reply privately, and I can keep that confidential. Just Organizer-curious!)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                          Thank you !!

By the way, how many people do you need in order to consider trying again next year?

(If you prefer, reply privately, and I can keep that confidential. Just Organizer-curious!)
                          Hi Aris,

I will know better at the end of the event.

I received an e-mail from newly crowned Canadian champion Bator Sambuev yesterday.

There is a reasonable chance that we will be able to add him to the list of participants for this year.

Larry

Comment

Re : Superfest 2012...

Is there anywhere we can see the standings? I hope you managed to get a few registrations (including GM Sambuev) on site... I really wish I could have played. Too bad school has already begun.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                              Is there anywhere we can see the standings? I hope you managed to get a few registrations (including GM Sambuev) on site... I really wish I could have played. Too bad school has already begun.
                              Hi Felix,

66 players. Bator Sambuev won against Jean Hebert in round 4 and then agreed to an 8 move draw this morning against Roman Sapozhnikov to pick up $1,250.00. The event is still going on as I write.

We had great weather and it was a relaxing vacation. The lake had lots opf chess kids swimming and having a good time. The hotel is willing to work with us if we decide to try and build the event next year.

I would love to get feedback before taking a decision on next year.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X