Conspicuous by their absence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Conspicuous by their absence

Kerry, here's another distaff news item for you (there are 3,050 of them under a Google news search)

NASCAR's distaff drivers 'climbing the ladder,' says Patrick‎

Comment

Re: Re : Conspicuous by their absence

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
      Kerry, here's another distaff news item for you (there are 3,050 of them under a Google news search)

NASCAR's distaff drivers 'climbing the ladder,' says Patrick‎
      I suppose dictionary.com's classification of the use of the word as "archaic" might not have taken into account those Google results. Interesting all the same, thanks for provoking me into looking it up in the dictionary.

It is not every day I learn anything on ChessTalk.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Conspicuous by their absence

Originally posted by Normand Arsenault View Post

I personally think it would be a pity if IM Eric Hansen did not play on the top two boards for Team Canada.
        Before the team was named, I guessed the names of the players correctly and also posted the board order. I had Eric on board 2 and haven't changed my mind. The posting should still be somewhere in the message database.

I think Bator's performance and title have earned him board 1.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
          One of Anand's concerns, and quite possibly Carlsen's as well, are that some of the rules of the Olympiad are too strict. For instance, if a player is one second late, he loses the game by default. That means that players all have to be there by the same time and cannot have any quiet time to reflect before getting to their boards.
          Is there some reason they can't arrive 10 minutes early and have their reflection time? Or arrive at the board, shake hands, start the clock, then wander off for this mystical spiritual rejuvenation?

Comment

Re: Offensive post

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            Hi Norm,

I found your post offensive to my daughter and Liza. at least and in general to women chess players.

Andrei Botez
            My apologies Andrei if you took my post in the wrong way. I was simply stating that because your daughter and Liza are roughly the same age as Mr.Hansen they would be cheering each other on and would most probably be "hanging-out" together throughout the event.

I am not sure how you took my comment.

Norm

Comment

Re: Re : Conspicuous by their absence

There are a lot of reason a player won't play team events so I can't even guess why the world champion is not playing this time. Was he invited? :) I don't know.

There is also the consideration a match point event differs from a total point event. Last Olympiad, and I assume this one as well, total points were used for tie break not to determine placings. One player can make a perfect score but in each match the other players have to score 1 1/2 of the remaining 3 points or the team loses or draws the match.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                Is there some reason they can't arrive 10 minutes early and have their reflection time? Or arrive at the board, shake hands, start the clock, then wander off for this mystical spiritual rejuvenation?
                Is there some reason they can't start the clocks on time and allow players to show up within an hour after the start time like just about every other tournament allows?
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Is there some reason they can't start the clocks on time and allow players to show up within an hour after the start time like just about every other tournament allows?
                  New FIDE rules is the reason! Although I believe the new rules permit organizers to offer some variation of the no-tolerance rule, it seems the organizers of the Olympiad (FIDE I presume) prefer zero lateness... A giant step backward in my opinion since this addresses a non-existent problem.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Before the team was named, I guessed the names of the players correctly and also posted the board order. I had Eric on board 2 and haven't changed my mind. The posting should still be somewhere in the message database.

I think Bator's performance and title have earned him board 1.

Are you stuck on the board you are given at the start of the event or is it interchangeable? It would definitely suck to not have GM norm chances since at Olympiad there is a special rule that GM norms count as double! But a high opponent average rating is required.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                      Are you stuck on the board you are given at the start of the event or is it interchangeable? It would definitely suck to not have GM norm chances since at Olympiad there is a special rule that GM norms count as double! But a high opponent average rating is required.
                      An actual GM norm counts as double.

A GM performance (2600+ performance rating) counts as a regular GM norm, and the quality of your opponents does not matter so long as you achieve the 2600+ performance.

So a GM norm is still very possible no matter what board you are playing on - as long as you play 9 games.

EDIT: To answer your actual question... yes, the board order can't be changed during the tournament - FIDE Handbook D.01.6.3.8.4
                      Last edited by Christopher Mallon; Wednesday, 22nd August, 2012, 05:13 PM.
                      Christopher Mallon
                      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                        There's this and other things in the FIDE handbook.

"3.7 Submission of team lists

3.7.1 Not later than two (PB '98) months before the start of the tournament, every Federation that has entered must notify the following details to the Administrator:
                        (a) name and initials of the Chief of Delegation;
                        (b) name and initials of the team captain;
                        (c) name of each team member (one first name in full, initials of additional first names, surname);
                        (d) FIDE rating of team members (according to the most recent FIDE rating list);
                        (e) any information required in connection with visas.

3.7.2 Late notification of team particulars shall be accepted up to 20 hours before the start of Round 1 (PB '98), but subject to a late submission fee of 100 euros per name.

3.7.3 The ranking of teams shall be finalized 16 hours before the start of the first round."

It looks to me like the team order could be set 20 hours before the start of round 1 but with a monetary penalty.

Other than that, I don't know. All I can say is the board order isn't the way I would have set it.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

100 euros only? In that case I would like to sponsor Eric Hansen to play board 2.

Comment

Common courtesy? Your opponent has shown up to start the game, and you should as well. How about this - tell Anand that the 2pm round starts at 1pm, and that he can show up any time in the first hour, with no penalty on his clock! Is his life magically better now?

I know when I play, if my opponent is half an hour late (without advance explanation or warning), I'm sitting there for 30 minutes wondering if they are going to show up, or if I've wasted my time showing up to celebrate the amazing excitement of a forfeit win.

Comment

Anand played at the Turin Olympiad in 2006... I know this for a fact as I saw him there :)

Comment

The list he shows doesn't actually mention board order being required ahead of time.

Regulation D.01:

6.3.8.4 Fixed Board Order (FBO)
                                See D.II.07, paragraphs 1.172 - 1.174 and 3.7. Not later than 20 hours before the start of round 1, the players in each team must be listed in a fixed board order by their captain. The FBO cannot be changed during the tournament.
                                So board order can be set and/or changed right up until 20 hours prior to the start.
                                Christopher Mallon
                                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                                X