X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conspicuous by their absence

Beliavsky

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=14602377
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Re : Conspicuous by their absence

Well Kevin is certainly within striking distance of all 3 cited names and I wouldn't put it past him to procure #1 status. Passing Karpov would be a nice feather in his cap.

Comment

How was the board order decided? It seems a little bit odd... http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com...dian-team.html

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen Kramnik (6'6") the smaller man in a chess picture:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8434

Comment

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
            How was the board order decided? It seems a little bit odd... http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com...dian-team.html
            Leonid Gerzhoy on board 2 certainly strikes me as odd. I had assumed he'd be our board 4. Board 2 for me was pretty much a coin flip between Eric Hansen and Nikolay Noritsyn.

Despite having the lowest FIDE rating, Jackie Peng has the much higher CFC rating and fully warrants, imho, board 2 status on the women's team.

Comment

Re: Re : Conspicuous by their absence

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              It looks like the qualifying order...
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Wikipedia lists the top 15 lifetime Olympiad performances as:

1.Tigran Petrosian 81.4 %
                2. Mikhail Tal 81.2
                3. Anatoly Karpov 80.1
                4. Isaac Kashan 79.7%
                5. Vassily Smyslov 79.6
                6. David Bronstein 79.6
                7. Garry Kasparov 78.7
                8. Alexander Alekhine 78.5
                9. Milan Matulovic 76.9
                10. Paul Keres 75.9
                11. Effim Geller 75.6
                12. James Tarjan 75.5
                13. Bobby Fischer 75.4%
                14. Mikhail Botvinik 74.7
                15. Thomas Roussel-Roozmon 73.2

Just kidding on that last entry. Thomas doesn't quite meet Wiki's minimum 4 Olympiad requirement. They've got Salo Flohr listed in the 15 spot with the same 73.2 figure that Thomas has with his 20.5/28 (slightly higher than Salo's 73.2 to a 2nd decimal place).

It's really too bad Thomas didn't have a 4th Olympiad in him and perhaps find his name on this list of chess greats.

You can find the full particulars (Petrosian only lost 1 single game in 129 matches and Tal 2 in 101 compared to Fischer's 7 losses in 65 opportunities) but no mention of Thomas at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Olympiad

Comment

If Mr. Eric Hansen does not play board two I will launch a protest.

Take a look at his most recent result. A 2651 performance and a GM norm. Finishing tied for first in a very strong international tournament.

If Eric Hansen is on second board, Canada has a real chance to make some noise and put in a memorable performance.

Norm

Comment

Kevin Spraggett won with Black on Board 3 today while Nisipeanus lost on board 1 and Gajewski drew on board 2 so heading into tomorrow's final round there's a 4 way tie for 1st with 7.5/9 between the 3 (Spraggett), 4 (Rakhmadov), 5 (Shankland), and 6 (Cordova) seeds. Kevin is clearly back over 2600 again.

Comment

Spraggett (2595) will have White on Board 1 against Cordova (2572) while Shankland (2581) gets White on Board 2 vs Rakhmanov (2588). Kevin is 4/4 with the White pieces in Barcelona so hopefully that trend can continue one more game.

Comment

Aman,

The saying goes: ""Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Jordan
                        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                          Aman,

The saying goes: ""Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Jordan
                          To have a near-exact match to that saying in my signature, I'd either have to know that quote beforehand and intentionally change it to my liking, or be incredibly talented and witty to come up with one so similar. In the case of the former, there is no need to point that out since I would clearly know it. In the case of the latter, thanks! :)

Comment

Ummmmmmm you're welcome :D
                            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

fruit cakes our orchards dear
                              fruit cakes entertain us here!

Comment

Spraggett drew his game with Cordova on board 1 while Shankland and Rakhmanov got the same 1/2 point result on board 2. Gajewski, the 2 seed, won his game to join the 4 co-leaders, all 5 at 8/10. Kevin's TPR was 2658 and he'll evidently pick up 7.2 FIDE points.
                                Quite the weekend for Canadian chess with Eric Hansen sharing first in Greece yesterday and picking up a GM norm while Keven Spraggett shares 1st in Spain today and regains 2600 status.

Comment

Working...
                                X