Cogeco email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cogeco email

Is anyone else having problems with Cogeco email?

I am experiencing difficulties, and have not received any emails since yesterday. I thought it was just my email account, and was trying to phone cogeco technical support for assistance. But I can't get thru, all I get is an automated message "we are experiencing difficulties with our email system, expect a long wait for technical support?"

Does anyone know if this a system wide problem or not?

Re: Cogeco email

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

I am experiencing difficulties, and have not received any emails since yesterday. I thought it was just my email account, and was trying to phone cogeco technical support for assistance. But I can't get thru, all I get is an automated message "we are experiencing difficulties with our email system, expect a long wait for technical support?"

I've never heard of Cogeco email in my life. That might be the biggest problem right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Aman Hambleton View Post
      I've never heard of Cogeco email in my life. That might be the biggest problem right there.
      It's his cable company, same as someone having a Rogers account.

Bob I guess that means you didn't get my email either :p
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
        It's his cable company, same as someone having a Rogers account.

Bob I guess that means you didn't get my email either :p
        Correct. Nothing since 8:46am yesterday.
        Anything urgent can be sent to gillanders900@gmail.com

Comment

Bob,

Forgive me for pointing out the obvious, but when you get a message like "we are experiencing difficulties with our email system, expect a long wait for technical support," that generally indicates a system-wide outage.

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/resid...rt/outages.php

This above link is also down...

Jordan
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Correct. Nothing since 8:46am yesterday.
            Anything urgent can be sent to gillanders900@gmail.com
            I was going to mention gmail, but I see you already have a gmail account. As my Rogers email inbox creaks under the ever-increasing level of spam, I am getting closer to completely ditching my ISP-based email...

Just keep in mind that using a web-based email system can lull you into thinking that your email is safe 'in the cloud' - gmail has had some spectacular snafus - some people have lost all their email and Google doesn't give a damn. There is also the issue of having (all) your email in the hands of the worlds largest search engine... :)
            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I'm having the same problem with Cogeco. Good thing there is nothing urgent in my life...

Comment

For what it's worth I have not been able to log into my Ryerson University email all day either which is very unusual. So possibly there is a system wide hardware problem somewhere.

Comment

I would suggest that having a corporate email (Bell / Rogers / Cogeco / Shaw / whatever) does not make much sense when you can get free and reliable email from gmail... It's true that it's a pain to switch once you're invested, but it also makes you less flexible to switching service providers should the need arise.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Scott View Post
                    I would suggest that having a corporate email (Bell / Rogers / Cogeco / Shaw / whatever) does not make much sense when you can get free and reliable email from gmail... It's true that it's a pain to switch once you're invested, but it also makes you less flexible to switching service providers should the need arise.
                    Normally you get a free email account or two when you have one of those service providers as your home internet service. So since if you want to get onto the internet from home to say get to your gmail account you need Cogeco/Rogers et al you might as well use the email that comes with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                      Normally you get a free email account or two when you have one of those service providers as your home internet service. So since if you want to get onto the internet from home to say get to your gmail account you need Cogeco/Rogers et al you might as well use the email that comes with it.
                      I don't follow your logic.

If I offer you a service, and a free piece of bread with the service, you don't need to take the free piece of bread if you: (a) don't like bread, (b) are gluten intolerant, (c) are trying to cut down on carbs, (d) etc.

As far as I know, none of those service providers require you to have their email, they simply offer you the option of having it.

Comment

If I offer you a service, and a free piece of bread with the service, you don't need to take the free piece of bread if you: (a) don't like bread, (b) are gluten intolerant, (c) are trying to cut down on carbs, (d) etc.

As far as I know, none of those service providers require you to have their email, they simply offer you the option of having it.
                        As far as I know, the ISPs don't normally require you to use their email account but many people find it convenient (usually because the primary account is usually set up automatically when they sign up for the service).

As you point out, there is some pain involved in switching away from *any* email account: you need to inform all your correspondents of your new email, you have to be prepared to miss some emails because some of those folks didn't read or comprehend your initial email, etc.

A great many people don't realize -where- their email is actually stored... some believe it is on their computer when it actually is not (and vice versa).

Gmail is a decent email service, but there is no guarantee your email is safe and there is no guarantee (other than them saying so) that your email is not accessible to others.

Comment

and gmail does not require me to have their email either, they only give me the option as well

by my logic, if I buy sandwich meat from you and you offer to include free bread with the meat to make my own sandwich, I will take your offer of free bread, by your logic I should buy the sanwich meat from you but go and get the free bread elsewhere instead and decdline the free bread that came with the sandwich meat - why would I want to do that?

and exactly who is gluten intolerant to their email? what is exactly the analogy you are trying to make here? for example a service provider email looks more verified to others than a gmail account you can just make up wholesale
                          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Monday, 27th August, 2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

and gmail does not require me to have their email either, they only give me the option as well

by my logic, if I buy sandwich meat from you and you offer to include free bread with the meat to make my own sandwich, I will take your offer of free bread, by your logic I should buy the sanwich meat from you but go and get the free bread elsewhere instead and decdline the free bread that came with the sandwich meat - why would I want to do that?
                            What email service do you use? More than likely, you use more than one. There are pros and cons to using each one - there likely is no absolute 'correct' answer. As for the meat, the bread, the sandwich etc. - I don't know.

Comment

and exactly who is gluten intolerant to their email? what is exactly the analogy you are trying to make here?
                              There are so many things that can affect your preference... the interface, archiving, search functions, functionality, storage etc. So obviously he's saying that if you include white bread and I only like whole wheat, I am clearly going to decline it and go get my known-to-be-good white bread as I usually do, just as I will stick to a different email because I like it better...despite the free one you are offering.

How is that not logical?

Comment

Working...
                              X