Round 3 - vs Argentina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 3 - vs Argentina

How will we do against Argentina - if they show up?

From http://www.elcomercial.com.ar/index....678&Itemid=116

The original Spanish text - followed by a rough translation (note that this was written on Tuesday, and they did show up on Wednesday):

"Estambul, Turquía, 28 de agosto (Télam, por Blas Pingas, especial).- Los seleccionados nacionales de ajedrez masculino y femenino debutaron hoy con sendas victorias en las Olimpíadas de Ajedrez de Estambul, Turquía, pero la falta de pago de los viáticos prometidos por la Federación Argentina de la disciplina (FADA) pone en peligro su continuidad en el certamen.
    "Si mañana (Nicolás) Barrera no se digna al menos a poner la cara es muy probable que no nos presentemos", anunció Carolina Luján, integrante del seleccionado femenino, en diálogo con Télam.
    "Esto es una vergüenza, así no podemos competir en igualdad de condiciones", añadió el Gran Maestro Diego Flores.
    Los problemas de los argentinos, antes de debutar hoy con sendas victorias sobre Botswana (3-1 los varones) y Sri Lanka (idéntico resultado las damas), comenzaron anoche, cuando se encontraron sin reservas en los hoteles oficiales de la organización por la inscripción tardía realizada por la FADA.
    La buena voluntad de los organizadores permitió superar el escollo, pero hoy Barrera no apareció con los viáticos prometidos y los ocho jugadores argentinos se encuentran prácticamente sin dinero para afrontar las once ruedas de la competencia.
    "Nosotros y la Federación de Turquía hacemos un gran esfuerzo para concretar la competencia. Si la Argentina inscribe tarde a sus equipos y luego tiene problemas en los alojamientos no nos puede hacer responsables", le dijo a Télam el vicepresidente de la FIDE, el griego Giorgos Makropoulos.
    "La FIDE ya está cansada de las continuas desprolijidades del señor Barrera, que ya lleva varios años en el cargo", enfatizó.
    En señal de repudio hacia la gestión del presidente de la FADA, los jugadores argentinos vistieron hoy una remera con la inscripción "Por un ajedrez sin barreras", que fue motivo de muchos comentarios entre la organización y los competidores.
    La eventual deserción sería la primera en la historia del equipo argentino, que participa de las Olimpíadas del juego-ciencia desde el Torneo de las Naciones de París, Francia, en 1924.
    En lo puramente deportivo, la jornada fue positiva con los triunfos de los varones (preclasificados 29 entre 150 países) y las damas (también 29, pero entre 128)."

"Istanbul, Turkey, August 28 (Télam by Blas Pingas, special)-selected national male and female chess debuted today with two victories in the chess Olympiad in Istanbul, Turkey, but the non-payment of allowances promised by the Argentina Federation of the discipline (FADA) endangers its continuity in the contest.
    "If tomorrow (Nicholas) Barrera not worthy at least to put the face, it is very likely that we do not present", announced Carolina Lujan, Member of the female, selected in dialogue with Telam.
    "This is a shame, so can not compete on equal terms", added the great Maestro Diego Flores.
    The problems of Argentina, before debuting today with two victories over Botswana (3-1 boys) and Sri Lanka (identical result the ladies), began last night, when they met without reservation in the official hotels of the organization by late registration carried out by the FADA.
    Goodwill organizers allowed to overcome the stumbling block, but today Barrera not appeared with promised allowances and the eight Argentine players found virtually no money to deal with eleven competition wheels.
    "We and the Federation of Turkey make a great effort to realize the competition." "If the Argentina falls late to their computers and then you have problems in the accommodation can do us responsible", told Telam Vice President of FIDE, the Greek Giorgos Makropoulos.
    "FIDE is already tired of the continuous desprolijidades of Mr Barrera, who has already spent several years in Office," he said.
    Sign of repudiation toward the management of the President of the FADA, the Argentine players today wore a shirt with the inscription "for a chess without barriers", which was the subject of many comments between the Organization and the competitors.
    The eventual defection would be the first in the history of the Argentine team, which participates in the Olympic Games since the tournament of the Nations of Paris, France, Knowle in 1924.
    In purely sporting, the day was positive with the triumphs of males (pre-sorted 29 among 150 countries) and ladies (also 29, but between 128)."
    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Wednesday, 29th August, 2012, 04:38 PM.

Re: Round 3 - vs Argentina

I directed the tournament of the Americas in correspondence chess some 30 years ago. The correspondence from the Argentina team captain was frequent and he stated the problem and remedy he expected. Actually, he was an excellent team captain for the players. I remember him but not his name.

Unless otherwise stated, I'd expect them to show up tomorrow and to try very hard to win for personal reasons. Kind of a grudge match.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A "rough translation" I guess I'd call that an understatement. Can anyone translate adequately from the Spanish?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I directed the tournament of the Americas in correspondence chess some 30 years ago. The correspondence from the Argentina team captain was frequent and he stated the problem and remedy he expected. Actually, he was an excellent team captain for the players. I remember him but not his name.

Unless otherwise stated, I'd expect them to show up tomorrow and to try very hard to win for personal reasons. Kind of a grudge match.
        This makes no sense as the problem (based on the spanish text and not the loose translation) is that their federation has not sent FIDE the money for hotel or other expenses (eg, they showed up and had no hotel reservations). As a result, it sounds like the players are paying some of the expenses themselves but don't have that much money with them and won't have anywhere to stay.

It might not be their choice to continue or not continue - they could be removed from the tourney or literally not be able to continue for financial reasons.
        Last edited by David Ottosen; Thursday, 30th August, 2012, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
          This makes no sense as the problem (based on the spanish text and not the loose translation) is that their federation has not sent FIDE the money for hotel or other expenses (eg, they showed up and had no hotel reservations). As a result, it sounds like the players are paying some of the expenses themselves but don't have that much money with them and won't have anywhere to stay.

It might not be their choice to continue or not continue - they could be removed from the tourney or literally not be able to continue for financial reasons.
          My understanding is a bit different but I'm not fluent in Spanish. The accomodations are free if registration requirements are met. There seems to be a dispute over timely entry. It seems to me they are trying to get missing the deadline waived.

Here's the information:

The players/reserves/captains/trainers of each (men & woman) team (maximum quota 6 person) will be allocated free of charge in double room full board for the duration of Chess Olympiad (27 August- 10 September). Additional from Each Federation 1 Head Delegate and 1 FIDE Delegate ) will be allocated free of charge in single room for the duration of Chess Olympiad (27 August- 10 September).

"Free of Charge Room Plans for Each Federation

Options

Double Room

Single Room

6 men team (5 Players & Trainer)

3 Free

6 women team (5 Players & Trainer)

3 Free

1 Head Delegation

1 Free

1 FIDE Delegate

1 Free

All teams for each section will be given 3 double rooms.
          Additionally chief of delegation will be given a single room.
          FIDE delegate will be given a single room.
          If a federation wants to change their double rooms to single rooms they should pay 100,00 Euro each day for each person for upgrade.
          Each person who is registered for Olympiad in any duty will pay 100,00 Euro organization fee (including accommodating people) consists of accreditation, transportation, organization (before 1st July 2012). Except officials and principals described in Olympiad regulations.
          Organizers will provide accommodation for all teams according to attached classification. The federations who want to upgrade rooms from double to single should take under consideration that organizers may change the hotels due to such requests.
          Federations who skip notification deadline for participation to Olympiad will not be given free accommodation. (before 1st June 2012)
          If your Federation require a distribution plan differing from the plan above there will be additional costs which will directly be charged to the respective Federation.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

This is the 2nd game in a row where Bator has a B + N against N and approx 3 pawns. Usually in the long run the pieces are better, unless the pawns are surprinsingly coordinated. His technique yesteday was impressive, and this time he even has the Queen to work with. He now looks to be very comfortable after a complicated middlegame.

http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com...und=3&match=11

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              My understanding is a bit different but I'm not fluent in Spanish. The accomodations are free if registration requirements are met. There seems to be a dispute over timely entry. It seems to me they are trying to get missing the deadline waived.
              No, it's definitely some sort of money problem.

Comment

Working...
              X