Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Why is IM Eric Hansen still only board 4? He is clearly showing he deserves to be board 3 at least, but more realistically should be on board 2. Quite disappointing to see.

Is this possibly due to Mr. Victor Plotkin promising Gerzhoy and Noritsyn at least board 2 and 3 earlier in the year as they were higher rated than Hansen? Now when Hansen is clearly showing he is much stronger than the two, Mr.Plotkin does not want to back down on his "promise" of giving Gerzhoy and Noritsyn board 2 and 3 and thus a chance of getting the double GM norm?

Re: Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Originally posted by Andy Shaw View Post
    Why is IM Eric Hansen still only board 4? He is clearly showing he deserves to be board 3 at least, but more realistically should be on board 2. Quite disappointing to see.

Is this possibly due to Mr. Victor Plotkin promising Gerzhoy and Noritsyn at least board 2 and 3 earlier in the year as they were higher rated than Hansen? Now when Hansen is clearly showing he is much stronger than the two, Mr.Plotkin does not want to back down on his "promise" of giving Gerzhoy and Noritsyn board 2 and 3 and thus a chance of getting the double GM norm?
    I suppose if you want the team to be disqualified you could change the board order.

Read the rules: http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com...egulation.html in particular 6.3.8.4

Comment

Re : Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Actually, Eric Hansen has very good chances of getting at least a GM norm, so I don't think the board order will stop him.

Comment

Eric is well on pace for a 20-Game GM Norm which would give him the GM title. He's also 15th in the Board 4 standings which gives him an outside shot at a board medal. What more can you ask for at this point?
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Is there any way to block imbeciles on this forum?
          i rep back 3+

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Me View Post
            Is there any way to block imbeciles on this forum?
            Yes, there is. You can just stop talking.

And good call Roger. Didn't realize that.

Comment

The forum does support ignore lists - people can mark individuals they wish to ignore. That doesn't quite work as well as one might hope, but it is a possibility.

We all are happy that Eric is performing well - moving him up one or two boards (even it it was possible!) would like be the kiss of death for him. Let's be glad he can hammer some unsuspecting folks on board 4. As the rounds continue, his performance will be less of a surprise and his opponents might be better prepared, so it goes...
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

the question was OK but you didn't need to impugn the team captain. Shooting without thinking.

Also, I personally doubt that performance over 5 games in the Olympiad is sufficient to come to a definitive conclusion that one or the other of the players is stronger than one of the others.

Comment

There is nothing in the chess careers of any of these players that suggest any one player is clearly stronger then the others.

You can guess if you like that Hansen is more driven to take chess to the next level after this event. They are all capable of making GM if they want it or just retiring. None of these players are better at the moment then a number of recent Olympiad players that have retired to some degree.
                  Last edited by Duncan Smith; Monday, 3rd September, 2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Aside from the official selection criteria that were used when the team was selected and announced, I think last spring, I can put in my 2 cents for possible future relevance---especially if "captain's picks" a-la Ryder Cup golf come into play. According to my "Intrinsic Performance Ratings" model, Leonid Gerzhoy had some spectacularly good IPR's in 2010 and 2011, besides his 2963 topping the 2011 Canadian Open which is in my published papers.

Comment

What do your papers show from March 2011 to April 2012?

What I found out from CC team play in events like the CC Olympiad is it's a lot more fun to score well on a lower board than average to what I considered disappointing on a higher board.

In any case, Eric has a current performance rating over 2600 and I'm really enjoying watching his games.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It is pretty well known that all the CFC ratings on the east coast are inflated due to that incredibly brilliant idea of activity points.

Eric is clearly the best player on the Canadian team by far. He also has the most experience as he's played against a lot of strong GMs in the American swisses. This is much better than sitting around in Toronto playing the little triangle game amongst yourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                          It is pretty well known that all the CFC ratings on the east coast are inflated due to that incredibly brilliant idea of activity points.

Eric is clearly the best player on the Canadian team by far. He also has the most experience as he's played against a lot of strong GMs in the American swisses. This is much better than sitting around in Toronto playing the little triangle game amongst yourselves.
                          Yeah!!! I get Firsties!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hikaru Nakamura View Post
                            in Toronto playing the little triangle game amongst yourselves.
                            It is hard to get new opponents when they scared all nakamuras :D

http://www.chess5.com/viewgame2.php?...fe4a83931ada69

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              It is hard to get new opponents when they scared all nakamuras :D
                              Genius "jab" Egidijus!!

Welcome to the ONC (Owning nakamuras Club).
                              Last edited by Emil Smilovici; Tuesday, 4th September, 2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X