Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Originally posted by Kenneth Regan View Post
    Aside from the official selection criteria that were used when the team was selected and announced, I think last spring, I can put in my 2 cents for possible future relevance---especially if "captain's picks" a-la Ryder Cup golf come into play. According to my "Intrinsic Performance Ratings" model, Leonid Gerzhoy had some spectacularly good IPR's in 2010 and 2011, besides his 2963 topping the 2011 Canadian Open which is in my published papers.
    Kenneth,

I don't understand the IPR at all...

How does a player with a +4 (6.5/9) score against an average opponent rating much lower than his own (his rating was 2647, opponent average was 2426)get him a 2963 performance rating?

I'd be curious to know what his IPR would be if he finished with 9.0/9.

Is there a particular reason that you use the IPR instead of the existing TPR?

Thanks, Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
      Kenneth,

I don't understand the IPR at all...

How does a player with a +4 (6.5/9) score against an average opponent rating much lower than his own (his rating was 2647, opponent average was 2426)get him a 2963 performance rating?

I'd be curious to know what his IPR would be if he finished with 9.0/9.

Is there a particular reason that you use the IPR instead of the existing TPR?

Thanks, Jordan
      Ken's program computes performance rating based on the quality of the player's moves. So I guess we would conclude that Leonid's opponents must have, on average, played above their rating, in their games with him for his conclusion to be valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        Ken's program computes performance rating based on the quality of the player's moves. So I guess we would conclude that Leonid's opponents must have, on average, played above their rating, in their games with him for his conclusion to be valid.
        It's not even necessary that the opponent played exceptionally well. Leonid may have played at a high level but still not collected the point in some games due to a late blunder or perhaps the win just wasn't there.

Comment

Re : Re: Move Eric Hansen above board 4

[QUOTE=Duncan Smith;56080]There is nothing in the chess careers of any of these players that suggest any one player is clearly stronger then the others.

You can't discount Isthmia. Or even the World Junior. Who else on the current team is even playing international tournaments? Put these same 5 players in any strong international tournament and my money would most certainly be on Eric to finish ahead of the other 4. To have the team's best player on board 4 is clearly not in the team's best interest.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            Put these same 5 players in any strong international tournament and my money would most certainly be on Eric to finish ahead of the other 4.
            Do you have a short memory?

http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...mber=201207038
            Count how many CAN players surpassed Eric :p

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
              I suppose if you want the team to be disqualified you could change the board order.

Read the rules: http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com...egulation.html in particular 6.3.8.4
              There is one more internal (CFC) rule:

1216. Board Order

The board order for each Team shall be determined by the Team Captain and announced no later than 30 days before the start of the Olympiad.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                Do you have a short memory?

http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...mber=201207038
                Count how many CAN players surpassed Eric :p
                As Damon Runyon so waggishly put it, "The race may not always be to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet".

FIDE tells us that Eric is currently the 2nd strongest player on our Olympiad team and I don't think there's much doubt in many observers minds that he'll soon be number one. If you beg to differ, I'll be happy to bet Eric against any in this bunch in future international tournaments and I'm pretty sure that I won't be the poorer for it in the long run.

Comment

There is one more internal (CFC) rule:
                  While that does serve to answer the Eric Hansen board order query, it does raise a more fundamental question. Why would the CFC have their own internal rule that serves as a veritable handicap to the very team they should be supporting?

To cite a baseball analogy, playoff bound teams would never announce their playoff starting rotations 30 days in advance, and more to the point, have that order cast in stone. A great deal can change in 30 days time.

Comment

It is hard to get new opponents when they scared all nakamuras :D

http://www.chess5.com/viewgame2.php?...fe4a83931ada69
                    You might want to consider withdrawing your puerile attempt at humour. I think the board would be better served by encouraging, rather than discouraging, further postings by the 5th best chess player on the planet these days.

Comment

While that does serve to answer the Eric Hansen board order query, it does raise a more fundamental question. Why would the CFC have their own internal rule that serves as a veritable handicap to the very team they should be supporting?

To cite a baseball analogy, playoff bound teams would never announce their playoff starting rotations 30 days in advance, and more to the point, have that order cast in stone. A great deal can change in 30 days time.
                      because

a) it may be the considered opinion of the board of governors that last minute changes to the board order based on a statistically insignificant amount of data should be proscribed.

b) there is a tremendous amount of conflict over who is on the Olympiad team and board order to begin with. Allowing last minute changes by one person is liable to create more conflict. The damage done by such conflict may well be (and probably is) much greater than any marginal benefit from shuffling board order.

Also, fundamental to your line of thought is the idea that the board order must be in order of strength for best results. That is not necessarily true.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Move Eric Hansen above board 4

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                        because

Also, fundamental to your line of thought is the idea that the board order must be in order of strength for best results. That is not necessarily true.
                        A non sequitor, Roger. If you followed the subject of board order from an earlier thread, 'Conspicuous by their absence', you'd see that I suggested that the optimum board order from a games theory perspective just might be 4,1,2,3.

I think you'd be hard pressed, however, to find any game theorist who would suggest utilizing your top player on board 4. You want to give your team the advantage on as many boards as possible, not the fewest.

Comment

On a side note, should team Canada sit Eric Hansen for their match against Moldives?

His rating performance is 2596 which is close to a GM norm. If he is to play against an 1800 and win could his performance rating become lower?

Comment

As the resident norm-watcher (you can see my posts on the CFC board) ... Eric has already had his "bump-up" player. A second one would not get bumped up. Now, you *can* ignore any game that you win... but a draw would almost kill any chance of him getting a GM norm (unless he won all the remaining games, PERHAPS but not even then guaranteed). In other words he has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing, and he hasn't sat out a single round yet either.

He is actually currently still on pace for a 20-Game norm and thus the GM title.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

You are discounting many strong events from the other players, including Canadian Closed victories by two of them. Noritsyn was clearly more successful then Hansen ( not even a close call ) for the majority of their junior years. The possibility exists that Hansen has closed the gap or surpassed him very recently, but my guess is the relative strengths of these players will depend heavily on their dedication and interest in chess both now and in the near future.

Again, to declare any of these players better then the others at this time is absurd. But given the usual personal biases and geographical squabbles that always exist in Canada, people will of course argue til their blue in the face that they know. Not one player in this group has ( yet ) matched the careers of Charbonneau or Bluvshtien.

When a team that is a near contender at best, lacking a true first board veteran presence, sometimes having a strong young fourth board IS the best strategy. Your repeated idea that having a strong young player on fourth is a bad idea is bs. When Thomas R.-R. was fifth board of 6 ( I believe ? ) in 2006, he helped spur the team on by winning a lot of games.

Lastly, in such situations where playing strength is relatively even on a team, nothing positive occurs for team morale trying to put any one player on a pedestal. All of these players are making huge commitments just to be there and all have had major accomplishments in their careers. You are being immensely disrespectful of these players to declare Eric clearly stronger; any third party simply looking at the stats knows there is nothing clear at all here.
                              Last edited by Duncan Smith; Tuesday, 4th September, 2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

You might want to consider withdrawing your puerile attempt at humour. I think the board would be better served by encouraging, rather than discouraging, further postings by the 5th best chess player on the planet these days.
                                Actually the humour was just fine, brownnosing (even to the 5th chess player) is NOT!
                                You should rather be thankful for the beautiful game shown.
                                More comments at:
                                http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...ge=1#kibitzing

This is a superb game by White.

Comment

Working...
                                X