Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: interesting approach to draw offers

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    What about perfectly played game? Does any side have more benefit in Fischerandom than in a standard starting position?
    No, but when both players are out of book before the game even begins, blunders and decisive games become more likely.

Comment

Jordan, even a move-counting clock is too much complexity because it's easy to make a mistake so that it counts wrong. This would be even worse. And this really should be discussed in the other thread I think.

Comment

Isn't the French policy just Sophia rules?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          Jordan, even a move-counting clock is too much complexity because it's easy to make a mistake so that it counts wrong. This would be even worse.
          Alan,

We use digital clocks all the time. Are you suggesting that all digital clocks be removed from chess just in case it ever makes a mistake?

It's not "easy to make a mistake" when the clock is programmed properly by the manufacturer and set up properly by the players.

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
          And this really should be discussed in the other thread I think.
          I'm glad you think so. However, I was replying to a question with a relevant answer. Besides, why do you care which posting this appears under?

Based on your two points, it seems you think that chess players and clock manufacturers aren't competent enough to handle such a simple addition. You even question my competence in choosing which thread to post a message on. If that's the basis of your entire "refutation" (if you will), then it's extremely weak.

People in general are a lot more competent than you give them credit for.

Jordan
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Jordan, I'm not dismissing anybody's competence.

Automated move counting (with time control updates) is the problem. In a normally played game it doesn't come up, but if there's any irregularity like starting wrong, stopping the clock and restarting it wrong, an illegal move taken back, a missed or failed clock press, then the count is wrong, and the next time control is wrong. (Or maybe I'm overstating it and this is so rare that we shouldn't worry about it.)

Nothing at all against digital timing.
            Last edited by Alan Baljeu; Thursday, 6th September, 2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X