Making Draws in Chess Very Rare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Making Draws in Chess Very Rare

Last edited by Ben Daswani; Wednesday, 30th January, 2013, 12:28 AM.
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

[QUOTE=Paul Bonham;57525]
      Originally posted by Lucas Davies View Post

You're going to use Google search results to back you up? HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's the Spirit of the Age! The Dumbed Down Age!

All of your examples can be taken as "all people" or "all young people". In fact, that is the way MOST PEOPLE would take it.

SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, MEAN WHAT YOU SAY.
      Well, this is clearly pointless.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lucas Davies;57528]
        Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post

Well, this is clearly pointless.
        We must all come to this conclusion sooner or later.

“Do nothing that is of no use”
        ― Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Comment

This whole thread reminds me of:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_snss6u0-WR...s-argument.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
            Or:

http://xkcd.com/386/

Mathieu

Comment

...your average casual viewer doesn't understand whether or not the guy on the screen should play KKT3 with one suit in Omaha 8, so he doesn't watch.
              David,

It's only because I like you that I'm replying with this little sarcastic nitpick...

I have played Omaha 8 many times in HORSE tournaments, but I also have no clue whether to play a hand with suited kings :D

Jordan
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                David,

It's only because I like you that I'm replying with this little sarcastic nitpick...

I have played Omaha 8 many times in HORSE tournaments, but I also have no clue whether to play a hand with suited kings :D

Jordan
                Best rule to remember in Omaha 8: If you have an eight in your hand fold. If you don't have an ace in your hand, fold. A hand like KKT3 with one suit is one of those "maybe in late position if everyone folds and the blinds are tight" type hands.

Comment

A hand like KKT3 with one suit...
                  David,

The point I was trying to make was: How do you get a pair in a one-suited hand?

Jordan
                  No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

In Omaha a one-suited hand is a hand which contains at least two cards of the same suit, and only one suit. So for example AcKc5d2h is a one-suited hand, but something like AcKcKhQh is a double-suited hand while AcKdQhJs is a rainbow hand. It matters in Omaha because exactly two cards from your hand always play and therefore you cannot make a flush unless you have at least two cards of the same suit in your hand.
                    Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Friday, 28th September, 2012, 08:04 PM.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Re : Re: Making Draws in Chess Very Rare

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

There is another way - walk on the edge like Tal, Shirov, Topalov. Kasparov
                      Three more of today's top attacking players who like to walk on the edge are Nakamura, Mamedyarov, and Morozevich, currently ranked numbers 8, 10, and 11 in the world respectively.

It's always interesting when one great attacker faces another since blood is almost always spilled. Case in point, Mamedyarov and Nakamura met yesterday in London and in 10 career matches now there have only been 2 draws. Shakh has a +3 -2 =2 edge in classical play while Nak has a +2 -1 =0 advantage in rapid/blitz.

Their game was the game of the day at ChessBase and I loved the preamble to the annotations:

Mamedyarov and Nakamura are two players that have been featured a lot in the game of the days of this tournament. The reason is simple: some players play more interesting chess than others. And when they clash, usually something exciting will happen

Comment

Hmm I dunno about you, but I thought Nakamura got owned
                        Shameless self-promotion on display here
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

From what I've seen of some players (e.g. Ljubojevic (sp?) in his heyday), they might play sharp, combative chess a lot of the time, but at times play like tourists (i.e. draw just about every game they play in an event, especially away from their home town).
                          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 29th September, 2012, 12:18 PM. Reason: Grammar
                          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

• Re : Re: Making Draws in Chess Very Rare

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                            Hmm I dunno about you, but I thought Nakamura got owned
                            Ya, Shakh was clearly better than Nak yesterday. And Nakamura is going for the wrong kind of 'hat trick' today in London. After getting owned by his nemesis, Wang Hao, in R6, succumbing to the Shakh Attack in R7, he's in huge trouble against Chucky in R8.

Comment

Tom,

Thank you for explaining it... I forgot that the number of suits has to do with how many suits play, not how many suits are in the hole cards. I haven't played poker since Black Friday.

Thanks, Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                                Tom,

Thank you for explaining it... I forgot that the number of suits has to do with how many suits play, not how many suits are in the hole cards. I haven't played poker since Black Friday.

Thanks, Jordan
                                Maybe you would play more if after the turn, you could resurrect a card from the muck?

Comment

Working...
                                X