Re: Making Draws in Chess Very Rare

Originally posted by James Williamson View Post
    If they take away draws will they
    take away byes?
    In Europe the bye is a round zero.

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
      I find it funny how it's always the weaker players (sub 2000) who complain about too many draws on the top level, while the top level chess players never say anything about it. Did you see the Onischuk - Karjakin game from today? You think it's fair to ask them to play that position out another 50 moves? Draws happen in chess and if you ban them, good luck attracting Grandmasters to your tournaments. If you've read any serious chess book, the best piece of advice that any self-respecting author gives is to play a position with no or little risk. If you take away draws, say goodbye to 90% of the openings out there.
      Bindi, I haven't seen the game you are talking about, but it wouldn't be a case of playing out a drawn position for 50 moves. It would be a case of each player being able to resurrect a captured piece, first one player then the other, to dynamically change the board position. Each player must assess the entire board to try and determine how the game can be changed. It's a whole new train of calculations, and it becomes part of the strategy and tactics of the game.

Keep in mind that chess as it is now is generally a slow reduction of pieces on the board. If no one gains an initiative and turns it into a routine win, eventually the game degenerates into an unwinnable position.

Drawish openings could still be played. Some players would be afraid of this rule and would avoid drawish openings, because they would find out that they aren't very good at calculating the possibilities when pieces can be added back to the board at any time (occurence of 3-time repetition, occurence of 20-move rule which is same as current 50-move rule). But other players would favor playing drawish openings and heading for a drawish endgame because they would consider themselves good at handling the resurrection of chess pieces.

I saw on another thread someone excited about a game in the Olympiad played by Nakamura, I believe, or maybe it was Hansen. The poster commented how exciting it was that the winner even got to play an underpromotion.

The reason I mention this is because underpromotion is quite an esoteric rule. If that rule didn't exist, even the person who was excited at seeing it happen might respond to someone who proposed it as a new rule: "Oh, that's absurd! A pawn should always promote to a Queen!"

Do you see my point? A rule that could be considered absurd can also be a rule that makes for an exciting game!

Yes, I agree with you about Grandmasters. For most of them, drastically reducing draws would make their easy life of playing "positions with no to little risk" above all else more difficult. But if () FIDE were to make such a rule universal in chess, then tough beans for those Grandmasters.

I feel sorry for you, Bindi, it sounds like what lies ahead of you is countless wasted hours playing draw after draw after draw. Get away from that while you're still young!
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Suggestion by Susan Polgar regarding draws in chess

http://www.susanpolgar.blogspot.ca/2...ding-draw.html
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Suggestion by Susan Polgar regarding draws in chess

the problem with Sofia rules or just banning draw offers is illustrated by the following game which occurs in my database over 200 times:

GM A vs GM B
          1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4 Bc6 dc 5. O-O Bg4 6. h3 h5 7. c3 Qd3 8. hg hg 9. Ne5 Bd6 10. Nd3 Bh2+ 1/2-1/2

Many more games of this type can easily be found - not to mention the infamous Huebner-Rogoff game. Moreover, the idea of banning draws before move n has been tried before. My memory is fuzzy on the details but I believe in the early 1970s, this rule was common and eventually abandoned because of games like the one above. (someone who is historically minded can perhaps dig up what period and precise rules were used).

Of course, from my perspective, there is no draw problem to be solved. My only problem is to avoid tournaments where artificial changes to the rules are being imposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
            the problem with Sofia rules or just banning draw offers is illustrated by the following game which occurs in my database over 200 times:

GM A vs GM B
            1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6 4 Bc6 dc 5. O-O Bg4 6. h3 h5 7. c3 Qd3 8. hg hg 9. Ne5 Bd6 10. Nd3 Bh2+ 1/2-1/2

Many more games of this type can easily be found - not to mention the infamous Huebner-Rogoff game. Moreover, the idea of banning draws before move n has been tried before. My memory is fuzzy on the details but I believe in the early 1970s, this rule was common and eventually abandoned because of games like the one above. (someone who is historically minded can perhaps dig up what period and precise rules were used).

Of course, from my perspective, there is no draw problem to be solved. My only problem is to avoid tournaments where artificial changes to the rules are being imposed.
            Where do you find tournaments where castling and en passant are not being imposed? Aside from the rest of the rules which are all artificial.

In the game you've given or any other with what seems perpetual check, the TC would not allow the draw under my changes. The TD, upon the 3-time repetition having just occurred (which in your game above would be with Black's Bishop on d6 and White's King having just moved back to g1), would force Black to place one of his captured pieces back on the board without giving check. Black could put his captured Queen on h4, threatening immediate mate on h2 or h1. White would have a choice of putting his captured pawn or Bishop on h3 to stop the mate. Black could then play hxg3 and should have a winning advantage. This would all have to be considered by White before allowing this whole variation.

One thing that chess players should think about is that major sports do very often change rules in response to changing conditions. As an example, hockey has moved blue lines and goal lines in an attempt to open up the offensive side, in response to too many low-scoring games. Should chess be completely static? I for one don't believe so.
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              I for one don't believe so.
              When was your last tournament? How many draws did you make?
              Did all Olympiad games end in draws on top boards? (Nevermind USA-Russia with 2-0, the game between the top rated players was decisive too.)

Comment

Where do you find tournaments where castling and en passant are not being imposed? Aside from the rest of the rules which are all artificial.
                Paul,

Those are the basic rules of chess, which precede all organised chess federations, and are therefore not "artificial".

One thing that chess players should think about is that major sports do very often change rules in response to changing conditions. As an example, hockey has moved blue lines and goal lines in an attempt to open up the offensive side, in response to too many low-scoring games. Should chess be completely static? I for one don't believe so.
                When major sports change or add rules of that nature, it's to increase ticket sales. That's an issue that not a single chess federation in the world has a problem with.

Jordan
                No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Re : Re: Suggestion by Susan Polgar regarding draws in chess

In the game you've given or any other with what seems perpetual check, the TC would not allow the draw under my changes. One thing that chess players should think about is that major sports do very often change rules in response to changing conditions.
                  I just played in the Montreal Open Championship, scoring three wins and two draws in section B. Should I be ashamed of my two draws? I don't think so. The games were very contested and among the last to end. We tried incredibly hard but simply couldn't beat each other. I think this kind of fighting draw amounts for more than 90% of all draws and is very rewarding for both players. When nobody deserves to win or to lose, it's a draw. Why should we want to change that?

Comment

In the game you've given or any other with what seems perpetual check, the TC would not allow the draw under my changes. .
                    I was explicitly referring to the post linking to to Polgar's blog. I have no interest in your variant.

The basic problem with your variant is that it is not chess. If I want another game that doesn't have draws I'll take up Go or Parcheesi, not some random construction by some guy.

Comment

This is chess, not crazyhouse. You can't just put pieces back on the board. This makes 0/10 sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                        Paul,

Those are the basic rules of chess, which precede all organised chess federations, and are therefore not "artificial".
                        So exactly what are you saying: that all pre-organised chess federation rules were handed down to us by Gods? You might want to consider some chess history, that both en passant and castling were added by HUMANS in response to flaws with the rules at the time. Or wait... it's so far back in time... maybe they were added by the Obelisk that taught cavemen how to play chess in the first place... if only Stanley Kubrick were still alive, he could tell us...

The point is, for you and Roger and anyone else who complains about "artificial" rules, all rules of all games are artificial and as such should be subject to change. For 2 reasons: because man is not perfect and nothing man concocts is perfect, and because game flaws can be exposed as more people play it and adapt to the current set of rules. If you're going to allow 2 players to agree on a draw at any time during the game, then be prepared for draws after even just 1 move.

When major sports change or add rules of that nature, it's to increase ticket sales. That's an issue that not a single chess federation in the world has a problem with.

Jordan
                        Ergo... !!!

Closed-minded people....
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Paul,

No need to mention your closed-mindedness about draws then, right?

Jordan
                          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Paul,

Jordan
                            If I were close-minded about draws, I wouldn't want to have any at all. But my proposal allows for some draws to occur. I'm not saying eliminate them altogether, I'm saying let's reduce them to a small fraction of the games.

I'm open-minded enough to see that organised chess has problems and needs changes to address those problems. There are plenty of others on this site who post over and over about the problems, and don't come up with any proposals at all except ones that have been tried in the past with little to no result.

And then there are the ones who can't even fathom that there are problems. Chess must remain just as it is!

I'm even open-minded enough to say, ok, for those people, chess can remain as it is. Let them have their "standard classical chess". We'll do the Coke thing and call it "Chess Classic".

But I for one will be taking advantage of an opportunity. Chess is a gold mine for those that can see past the forest of close-minded people.
                            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Paul,

Jordan
                              Hi Jordan.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Cheers.

Comment

Aman,

Touché :D

Jordan

Comment

Working...
                                X