Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

If I'm not mistaken, Eric becomes Canada's 10th ever GM, and only the 4th actually born in Canada. He also becomes Canada's first born-in-Canada GM born in a province other than Quebec since Kevin Spraggett, Pascal Charbonneau, and Thomas Roussel-Roozmon were all born in la belle province.

Comment

While congratulating Eric for a great accomplishment, let us hope that this title will not signal the end or the beginning of the end of his chess career as it did for LeSiège, Charbonneau, Roussel-Roozmon and Bluvshtein. Is there a way in Canada to keep such talent involved in the game at least on a part time basis ?

Comment

Re: Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!
        :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          While congratulating Eric for a great accomplishment, let us hope that this title will not signal the end or the beginning of the end of his chess career as it did for LeSiège, Charbonneau, Roussel-Roozmon and Bluvshtein. Is there a way in Canada to keep such talent involved in the game at least on a part time basis ?
          How could I forget Alexandre LeSiege? That makes Eric Hansen the 5th born-in-Canada GM (unless I've overlooked someone else) but still, I believe, the 1st born outside la belle province.

Perhaps your cited quartet should have a little chat with Britain's Luke McShane who has a full time job now but still finds time for the occasional chess tournament (albeit he did pass on the Olympiad and would have clearly been their #2 board).

Comment

Re: Re : Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            If I'm not mistaken, Eric becomes Canada's 10th ever GM, and only the 4th actually born in Canada. He also becomes Canada's first born-in-Canada GM born in a province other than Quebec since Kevin Spraggett, Pascal Charbonneau, and Thomas Roussel-Roozmon were all born in la belle province.
            I believe you are mistaken. We have 8 GMs who are alive, and two deceased (Abe Yanofsky and Igor Ivanov).
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              I believe you are mistaken. We have 8 GMs who are alive, and two deceased (Abe Yanofsky and Igor Ivanov).
              I stand corrected a 2nd time since I had overlooked Igor Ivanov (who was never a GM while playing for Canada). But now I seem to have one too many GMs since you're saying Eric Hansen in our 11th GM and I count 12, who are:

1. Abe Yanofsky
              2. Duncan Suttles
              3. Peter Biyiasis
              4. Kevin Spraggett
              5. Alexandre LeSiege
              6. Dmitri Tyomkin
              7. Mark Bluvshtein
              8. Igor Ivanov
              9. Pascal Charbonneau
              10. Bator Sambuev
              11. Thomas Roussel-Roozmon
              12. Eric Hansen

Comment

If you are counting GM's born in Canada, you forgot about Joel Lautier. :-)

Comment

Re : Re: Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                  If you are counting GM's born in Canada, you forgot about Joel Lautier. :-)
                  Too bad he had to move to France on us. His Wikipedia entry is certainly fascinating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Lautier

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

I stand corrected a 2nd time since I had overlooked Igor Ivanov (who was never a GM while playing for Canada). But now I seem to have one too many GMs since you're saying Eric Hansen in our 11th GM and I count 12, who are:
                    I didn't realise Peter Biyiasas earned the GM before moving to the USA. Now I know!
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Eric has previously posted on CT that he was not born in Canada. I think he said California.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                        I didn't realise Peter Biyiasas earned the GM before moving to the USA. Now I know!
                        Peter Biyiasas is arguably Canada's best ever Olympiad performer. He won board medals for Canada on 3 separate occasions. No one else in Canadian chess history can lay claim to that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                          Eric has previously posted on CT that he was not born in Canada. I think he said California.
                          So Quebec retains its monopoly on Canadian born GMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                            2012 Canadian Olympic teams have more USA born citizens than USA teams!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                              2012 Canadian Olympic teams have more USA born citizens than USA teams!
                              Wouldn't the U.S. love to have the Florida born Fabiano Caruana back in their fold! Check out his game today. A highly entertaining affair.

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Congratulations GM Eric Hansen!!!

1. Abe Yanofsky
                                2. Duncan Suttles
                                3. Peter Biyiasis
                                4. Kevin Spraggett
                                5. Alexandre LeSiege
                                6. Dmitri Tyomkin
                                7. Mark Bluvshtein
                                8. Igor Ivanov
                                9. Pascal Charbonneau
                                10. Bator Sambuev
                                11. Thomas Roussel-Roozmon
                                12. Eric Hansen