Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Preregistered List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Any News for pairing and standing so far?

:DI usually wait until it is posted
    on the CFC.At one time you had
    to wait four months before you
    found out.

Comment

Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Preregistered List

Sometimes I can be a grouchy old man as I was today when I replied to a thread that implied I wasn't doing enough such as posting results. Two hands can only do so much.

For those that weren't there, I was the TD and I also played. Unfortunately, my two assistants unexpectantly couldn't stay for the duration of the tournament on Saturday and I was running between two floors for the third round making sure there wasn't any problems. In fact, I "deputized" one of the parents to keep an eye on the one room when I wasn't there even though there was a member of our club playing in the room.

I didn't have a lot of time on my hands, in fact, it was the opposite. On day two I contemplated withdrawing from the tournament but since I was so exhausted from the night before I had the best sleep I ever had in a long time before or during a tournament so I thought I would stay in as my two assistants were back and there were only two rounds to go.

After packing up the tournament last night with a lot of help it still took two hours to put tables and chairs back in their proper places, pack up the chess sets and clocks, and clean up the empty cups and water bottles. I have to admit I forgot to take the sheet with all the results on it so I could post it immediately when I got home as I did after the KW Spring Open. Hans Jung on his own went and put the results up in the a.m. of today. Not too shabby. About 12 hours after the event. Some tournaments don't post their results at all or do game scores.

Oh yes, about the game scores. I'm in the process of copying the moves into my computer and I'm almost finished round one. When I have the first two or three rounds completed in the next few days, I will post them on Chesstalk.

BTW, I'm a volunteer. I don't get paid for doing this. I do it so people can enjoy playing chess on the weekend. When I use to play tournament chess back in the 1980s and '90s, it seemed that the Fischer boom was still thriving as there were more tournaments to play in on the weekends. Or is this the sign of a faulty memory.

Yes, I shouldn't have commented on the negative remark but, like I said earlier, sometimes I can be a grouchy old man ... especially when I'm tired.

No further comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Deline View Post
        Sometimes I can be a grouchy old man as I was today when I replied to a thread that implied I wasn't doing enough such as posting results. Two hands can only do so much.

For those that weren't there, I was the TD and I also played. Unfortunately, my two assistants unexpectantly couldn't stay for the duration of the tournament on Saturday and I was running between two floors for the third round making sure there wasn't any problems. In fact, I "deputized" one of the parents to keep an eye on the one room when I wasn't there even though there was a member of our club playing in the room.

I didn't have a lot of time on my hands, in fact, it was the opposite. On day two I contemplated withdrawing from the tournament but since I was so exhausted from the night before I had the best sleep I ever had in a long time before or during a tournament so I thought I would stay in as my two assistants were back and there were only two rounds to go.

After packing up the tournament last night with a lot of help it still took two hours to put tables and chairs back in their proper places, pack up the chess sets and clocks, and clean up the empty cups and water bottles. I have to admit I forgot to take the sheet with all the results on it so I could post it immediately when I got home as I did after the KW Spring Open. Hans Jung on his own went and put the results up in the a.m. of today. Not too shabby. About 12 hours after the event. Some tournaments don't post their results at all or do game scores.

Oh yes, about the game scores. I'm in the process of copying the moves into my computer and I'm almost finished round one. When I have the first two or three rounds completed in the next few days, I will post them on Chesstalk.

BTW, I'm a volunteer. I don't get paid for doing this. I do it so people can enjoy playing chess on the weekend. When I use to play tournament chess back in the 1980s and '90s, it seemed that the Fischer boom was still thriving as there were more tournaments to play in on the weekends. Or is this the sign of a faulty memory.

Yes, I shouldn't have commented on the negative remark but, like I said earlier, sometimes I can be a grouchy old man ... especially when I'm tired.

No further comments.
        Ralph,

Thanks for running a nice chess event. GM Bator enjoyed this event very much as well.:D

You did an amazing job. I always enjoy going to Kitchener tournaments, more then TO Toronto tournaments personally. Environment for chess in Kitchener is great and driving there is always nice. Don't have to deal with traffic. :D

BTW, it is not your job to update on chesstalk, and can make everybody happy. :p

There are a lot of complainers on this forum. I guess every forum needs some.

I personally would rather wait to see standings, when it gets updated on CFC website! I am sure you would have, if you have more help. You did an amazing job this weekend. We can't wait for next one.

Thanks for running great chess event!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          With a perfect score of more than 10 losses I finally managed to upset IM Samsonkin with Black in a French Defence. (for those who still believe in the French)
          Congratulations on your win! As I remember, you managed to beat him convincingly in that game with a French, just like GM Bator does. :D

It would be nice if you posted that game online, like chess5.com or chessgames.com..

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Deline View Post
            Hello Ralph,

Your efforts as an organizer and TD are very much appreciated. I wish I could have been there for your tournament. By all accounts it was another well run event, typical of what I expect when I go to Kitchener for a chess tournament.

Comment

Ralph,

Being a organiser, TD, and player in the same tournament is a tough and sometimes thankless job... especially if the reason you're playing is other than due to an odd number of entrants. I've done it a few times before, and it can be quite tiring and distracting to your game.

From the sounds of it, you did an excellent job despite also having a life to live outside of chess during the tournament. So don't apologise for being a little grouchy (trust me, I've seen organisers say a lot worse) if someone touches a nerve. The good that you did for the players far outweighs the comment that was aimed at someone demanding information but didn't even play in the tournament.

All the best! Jordan
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                I remember some shady establishments (or just on the street) filled with unsavoury characters in the past...
                Sounds like you ran into a bunch of chess players between rounds. :)
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Re : Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Any News for pairing and standing so far?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  Chill everyone - if you care that much then go play in the damn tournament.
                  Is that what we should say to people with an interest for our chess tournaments, if only as a spectator ? Leave us alone and do not expect anything if you don't play in the "damn chess tournament" ? Chill out Kerry.
                  Some people complain (for sponsorship purposes among other reasons) that chess is not attracting the kind of interest that some other sports are attracting. But if we want this to change, a better attitude towards non-competing people with nevertheless an interest for chess will be needed.
                  This is unrelated to Mr Deline commendable job at this particular event. We should be happy in all cases that some people, even if they haven't played in the damn tournament, show an interest in its results and point out at some things that could be improved in the future.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Any News for pairing and standing so far?

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    Is that what we should say to people with an interest for our chess tournaments, if only as a spectator ? Leave us alone and do not expect anything if you don't play in the "damn chess tournament" ? Chill out Kerry.
                    Some people complain (for sponsorship purposes among other reasons) that chess is not attracting the kind of interest that some other sports are attracting. But if we want this to change, a better attitude towards non-competing people with nevertheless an interest for chess will be needed.
                    This is unrelated to Mr Deline commendable job at this particular event. We should be happy in all cases that some people, even if they haven't played in the damn tournament, show an interest in its results and point out at some things that could be improved in the future.
                    Well played. +1
                    Only the rushing is heard...
                    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Fall Open - Any News for pairing and standing so far?

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                      Fair enough M. Hebert. Point taken.
                      My reaction was perhaps as grumpy as Ralph's initial reaction. I do think the request for info that caused all this could have been less inflammatory, but that is beside the point (your point).
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Mr. Deline had been able to volunteeer to enter some upcoming games (thanks). While the crosstables were found at last night's club night, some of the remaining results of the 5th round hadn't appeared. So for the neighbors to or players of those boards, Ed Thompson, Hans Jung, Ralph and the other organizers have asked that those results could be emailed to one of them so that they could get the tournament rated.

Fernando Echavarria-Hidalgo vs Steven Sadoway __,

Tony Bohan Bao vs Dinny Wang __,

Patrick Phillips vs Joey Zhong __,

Dave Bendl vs Wenyang Ming __.

Thanks again!

Comment

Kai,

All the results are accounted for.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Kitchener Rocks!
                            I only wish I could have played.
                            As the old saw goes, don's let the {kibitzers} get you down.:p

Comment

;)Check the CFC web:D

Comment

Working...
                              X